Home Main Category General Firearms

Did Leupold kill the Redfield brand again?

2»

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Buffco said:
    That reminds me, I put a Redfield on my Winchester model 88. 

I need to shoot the thing. 
    I must've missed that.  When did you get an 88?? And what is it chambered in?

JerryBobCo started posting his. I loved it so I bought one. 1957 make, if o remember right. 

[URL=http://s274.photobucket.com/user/Buffco/media/2012-11-28_11-07-49_156_zps24282de1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/Buffco/2012-11-28_11-07-49_156_zps24282de1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s274.photobucket.com/user/Buffco/media/2012-11-28_11-07-13_474_zps1d9bc522.jpg.html][IMG]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/Buffco/2012-11-28_11-07-13_474_zps1d9bc522.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member

Leupold competes with itself with the lower price point Leupold products and the Redfield line and that is just idiotic.  So it is a semi smart move, if you are not smart enough to manage that correctly, to exit one space or the other.  But in my opinion a $150 Leupold scope should not exist in a universe where you are also trying to sell a $2,000+ product with exactly the same name on it.  That is just bad marketing practices.  It's like Rolex coming up with a battery watch priced at $100 and still branding it a Rolex.

Excellent point, and one that I never really thought of. It would make good sense for the VX-2 and downward to be absorbed as a Redfield. The only issue I see with that is with how deeply the Leupold name is cemented into the American shooting market, where someone buying that $150 Leupold thinks that they're getting more than they are simply because of the name on it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #34
    I would separate it as VX-2 on up. Leave the VX-1 with Redfield. Redfield would be the upper crust of that name. The Redfield as is now is a half step up from VX-1s. One thing to remember, whatever class scope you buy, if it's a Leupold it has that great warranty and you still get every penny's worth of quality you pay for, but just quality on different levels, depending on the class scope you buy.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I mostly agree, but even a cheap ass like me can see there's a big step up from VX-1 to VX-2. :I have all three, VX-1, VX-2, and VX-3s and just looking around outside through them I can see very little if any difference in the 2s and 3s. That's why I thought a break between 1s and 2s would be appropriate. But thinking about how they have extended the lines upward so much the last 2 years I can see your point. This would put the Redfield line where Leupold was 20 years back where the VX-2 of today was the old Vari X 3.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    I've got an old TV tube Redfield 3x9 lying around here some place, it was on my Remington 660 carbine when I bought it.  Still bright & clear, don't care for the fine crosshairs though.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    It appears Leupold has dropped the 1 and 2 anyways,  in favor of the Freedom.  I haven't checked but the rifleman i think is gone as well. So maybe they're just pulling back on Redfield currently to revamp the entire entry/lower end tier?

And Buffy, Zee was right,  ya did good. 88's are really something special.  Ive only fired one, but it was sweet (Jerry's 338-284)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,650 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #38
    Even Hyundai recognized that no one will ever buy a $50,000 car with their nameplate on it and they took the Genesis name and made it into a separate brand.  Sako was smart enough to come up with a Tikka brand when they wanted to sell to a lower price point in the market.  Rolex will never make a $100 watch and Timex does no try to sell a $10,000 Swiss timepiece to anyone.

Stupidity that most Americans will fall for. Whether or not Hyundai is a good car is immaterial - the same thing worked for Toyota. News flash: Lexus is still a Toyota - with all that implies both good and bad. But its only marketed as Lexus in the crazy North American market, they're Toyotas elsewhere from what I've read.
    Lexus completely ruined Mercedes as far as I'm concerned.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Toyota Altezza - the world
    Lexus IS300 - only the USA

same/same
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    edited December 2018 #40
    Toyota Altezza - the world
    Lexus IS300 - only the USA

same/same
    Shows how stupid American consumers are. Load a bunch of American market crap on a Toyota, give it a snooty name, and Americans will think its a Mercedes!
    Which wasn't the original point of a Mercedes at all, but that horse left the barn long ago, and took MBZ with it.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #41
    As an added wrinkle to this thread, I just sent my Redfield Revolution 4-12x42mm back to Leupold for service. It no longer holds zero after many, many extremely stout muzzleloader (jbohio witnessed just how stout) and heavy shotgun turkey/slug loads.  

One of the options on the form was “replace with similar item” if the original item is not available.  I have no clue if they will fix it or replace it, but if they replace it with a comperable Leupold brand product, it will be pretty telling about the future of the Redfield line.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Got a formal answer from Leupold today regarding Redfield: they have no plans to stop producing Redfield scopes.  They have eliminated some SKU #s in the Redfield line and replaced them with VX-Freedom offerings that would otherwise overlap, but are not discontinuing the Redfield label.
    cpj said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Got a formal answer from Leupold today regarding Redfield: they have no plans to stop producing Redfield scopes.  They have eliminated some SKU #s in the Redfield line and replaced them with VX-Freedom offerings that would otherwise overlap, but are not discontinuing the Redfield label.
     Then they are a complete failure at website design/maintenance. 
    Yeah, that's a pretty moronic state to leave your website in when you aren't deleting something altogether.  I get that they may need to shift stuff and remove certain things, but that should be done BEFORE you have to leave it completely in limbo like this.
    edited December 2018 #44
    Six-Gun said:
    That's basically what they told me but the lady wasn't clear about it. The way she put it they were not going to make any new products so I didn't know if she meant they weren't going to make any more new scopes or just no new designs. I take your post to me no new designs, just basic Redfield scopes Like they were making when they brought the brand back. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. But what are SKUs?
    Stock Keeping Unit.

snake284 said:
    Six-Gun said:
    That's basically what they told me but the lady wasn't clear about it. The way she put it they were not going to make any new products so I didn't know if she meant they weren't going to make any more new scopes or just no new designs. I take your post to me no new designs, just basic Redfield scopes Like they were making when they brought the brand back. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. But what are SKUs?
    What zorba said.

It's an inventory number associated with a particular model of something sold.  For the purposes of this conversation, it effectively means the exact same thing as "model number".