Home Main Category General Firearms

Range report Beretta 84F-AR45 and .300B/O AR

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
edited November 2018 in General Firearms #1
Fantastic day at the range today, light wind, 70 degrees and lots of sunshine.
Range was crowded because of the nice weather and at first only a 100 yard spot was open so I started with the AR in .300 B/O. I built this rifle a couple of years ago and she has always been a tack driver. Today was no different, I was tearing the center out of the bull with no effort.

once the 50 yard opened up I moved over to sight the AR45 in. I had had trouble with the 26 round Korean mags so I put some 5% plus springs from wolff in them. This was a huge improvement but I was still able to overrun them when I was firing with the Echo trigger in echo mode on the last few rounds when spring tension was low. I think with a little more spring tension they would be great. All in all in echo mode it will make you giggle with how fast is fires. I’ll see what I can find in springs or maybe I’ll just put a 1” block in them.

last I moved to the pistol range and ran a bunch of rounds through the new to me Beretta. All I can say is what a fun pistol to shoot. The gun is super reliable and other than a little difficulty getting a good grip with my big meat hooks I was happy with how it shot. For less than $400 this little gun is well worth the money..
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    It sounds to me like you're having more fun tuning and tinkering with that 45 spitfire than the other two put together.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    It sounds to me like you're having more fun tuning and tinkering with that 45 spitfire than the other two put together.
    This one has been a challenge for sure. I ran three different 26 round mags with the 5%+ springs. All three hiccuped at round 20-22. But holy cow the first 20 or so run like lightning so I am very close. I think if I put a regular millspec trigger back in it the gun would run fine.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Sounds like a fun outing! Sounds like the spring tension on those 26 round magazines is a bit on the light side. Probably due to smaller diameter spring wire that is used in a lot of magazines now. IF the magazines will take a Thompson SMG spring, there are replacement springs for them that would probably solve your problem. They're made to feed a SMG with a high cyclic rate and are heavy spring wire. Worth a try to buy one and see.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Sounds like a fun outing! Sounds like the spring tension on those 26 round magazines is a bit on the light side. Probably due to smaller diameter spring wire that is used in a lot of magazines now. IF the magazines will take a Thompson SMG spring, there are replacement springs for them that would probably solve your problem. They're made to feed a SMG with a high cyclic rate and are heavy spring wire. Worth a try to buy one and see.
    Thanks, I’ll try it. All 4 mags hiccuped on rounds 23 so yes I also figured not enough spring tension.
    Ordered a 10 pack of the Thompson 30 round mag springs, we’ll see how they do....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Hope the new springs make things go the way they should. They're definitely heavier wire than I've seen in most new stuff. The Sten magazine springs in my Sten magazines would support a small car!

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Hope the new springs make things go the way they should. They're definitely heavier wire than I've seen in most new stuff. The Sten magazine springs in my Sten magazines would support a small car!

As long as they don’t blow the floor plates off I should be good! Thanks for the tip.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I've read that it was common practice to short load the mags in WWII for reliability, with the German staggered column of the MP40 being particularly cantankerous.

I've also read that modern springs are a world ahead of the old originals.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    When I was in Vietnam, we short loaded M 16 mags.  I can't remember why; either to reduce stress on the lips of the aluminum mags or to change the first round orientation.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I've read that it was common practice to short load the mags in WWII for reliability, with the German staggered column of the MP40 being particularly cantankerous.

I've also read that modern springs are a world ahead of the old originals.
    I agree modern springs are light years ahead of what we had in WWII. And what I have done so far has greatly improved function I just need a lift more power to get reliable on the last 4 rounds. I’m hoping the new springs I just ordered will get me there. This project has been fun and frustrating at the same time. 
    The new springs will be in next week. I am going to try and make time on the following Saturday to do some close range pig hunting with this rifle at a friends place. He has a bow hunting blind set up that will put my about 30 yards out from the feeder and he told me the pigs come almost every night about 9:30. That may be fun!