Home Main Category Hunting

Stacking them up in Michigan

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 16,914 Senior Member
3 hunters shot to death since the season opener on the 15th.

Most hunting related fatalities in the last 10 years...

13 year old shot a 16 year old while mishandling a firearm

One guy shot another because he
thought he was a deer

And the third was a guy they found dead in a field  with a gunshot wound...LE is still investigating that one
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Sadly, those cycles are always bound to come around.  While huntig is, statistically, one of he safest recreational activities, there’s bound to be a few preventable accidents.  

#2 on that list hits frighteningly close to home.  A friend of mine had a guy stalk up to his position from a tree line on public land -  during firearm deer season - wearing a camo suit and absolutely no blaze orange whatsoever.  He thought the guy was a deer coming in but was smart enough not to aim or shoot at a sound.  That could end very differently depending on who is at the trigger.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I have always assumed an unseen sound to be another hunter.

Those young kids are a bad traggety. Hopefully no more will be added.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Sad, very sad
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Last week there was a guy in Idaho who accidentally shot himself while hunting. I thought about this scenario for a bit...How does someone accidentally shoot themselves with a rifle? Gross mishandling is my only conclusion. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Update: 2 hunters severely injured from falling out of tree stands and there is a search underway for a lost Hunter around Houghton Lake....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear all of this :(
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

CaliFFL said:
    Last week there was a guy in Idaho who accidentally shot himself while hunting. I thought about this scenario for a bit...How does someone accidentally shoot themselves with a rifle? Gross mishandling is my only conclusion. 
     I was duck hunting with the guy once who stood resting his hands on the muzzle of his shotgun.  I asked him if the gun was loaded, to  which he replied “oh, yeah...it is”.   He nonchalantly hit his hand off the muzzle and gone up as if it was no big deal.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,443 Senior Member
    Based on what I have been hearing in the state game area, I'm not surprised.  Orange jacket and hat had better be enough for these idiots to see.  Most of them are wearing a knit cap as their only orange.  I get to my spor for the morning or afternoon and dont getup until it's time to head in.  I try to avoid even getting up to take a leak due to some of the people out here.
    Deer season opener especially on public land has been kinda crazy everywhere I have lived. 

Back when I was working EMS there were always an assortment of hunting related injuries to deal with...most falling into the "stupid" category...but I cannot recall this many fatalities this early in the season...
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    CaliFFL said:
     I was duck hunting with the guy once who stood resting his hands on the muzzle of his shotgun.  I asked him if the gun was loaded, to  which he replied “oh, yeah...it is”.   He nonchalantly hit his hand off the muzzle and gone up as if it was no big deal.
    I saw my dad do exactly this. I asked the same question. His reply, "The safety is on." 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    A safety thing that I have found lacking.... While dressed from head to toe in hunter orange, they then proceed to zip themselves into a camouflage blind where nobody can see them there. It has happened to me a few times and it gives me the willies.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,443 Senior Member
    I didnt have my orange bibs on, but the jacket and hat were far more than legally required.  I also either sat on the ground or in a chair next to a tree.  Out in the open for all to see if they open their eyes.
    Here, muzzle loader season (hunter orange required) and bow season (full camo) run at the same time in addition to some hunters with special center fire bear tags (hunter orange required.)
    CaliFFL said:
    Six-Gun said:
    CaliFFL said:
    I saw my dad do exactly this. I asked the same question. His reply, "The safety is on." 
    The safety thing is a common retort to unsafe gun handling.  More than once I've asserted to someone to watch their muzzle when they've inadvertently swept me with it, to which that infamous "the safety is on" reply has been the canned response.  My response: "Oh yeah?  Tell me how you feel when you point it at yourself."
    The last time someone muzzle swept me, I fear I was neither nice or kind...told him if he did it again I'd cram it up.
    ..well you get the idea.

I am no longer tolerant of clueless idiots of fools...too dam old for that stuff...

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #17
    Guy here locally was apparently shot by his dog a few weeks ago...

According to his statements to the local news after he got out of the hospital, he went out rabbit hunting with his dogs. He said he had the shotgun on the back seat with the dogs and, as he reached back from the driver's seat to grab the gun, one of the dogs stepped on it and pulled the trigger.  So much stupidity in this story....  You all know the usual questions; why was the gun loaded on the back seat with the dogs?  Why was the safety off?  Why did you point the gun at yourself when you reached for it?

Edit - Correction.  It was a rifle, not a shotgun.  And he was not reaching for it.  Somehow, it was pointed such that when the dog stepped on the trigger, it fired through his back and exited his chest.
    Its illegal to have a loaded long gun in a vehicle here. Loaded being defined as a chambered round, or capped nipple, or powdered flash pan.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    That part is legal here.  Open carry and extended domain state.  It's illegal to shoot from a vehicle.  But not carry loaded in the vehicle.  It is obviously not wise to carry loaded, safety off, muzzle pointed at you with dogs climbing all over it...  :#
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    I'm not a violent person. But once, while pheasant hunting in Kansas, I'd been swept for the third time by a goobers shotgun muzzle. I walked over to him and said, "The next time you sweep me, your ass is gonna learn to accomodate a 12 gauge ribbed barrel".

Amazing what a little diplomacy can do.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Me and Six managed to crawl several hundred yards in close proximity,  without ever covering a gun on each other.  A little common sense is all that's needed.  However,  that's a rare commodity
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    No such thing as too much orange. And as I said in my earlier post, I love hunting alone.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain