Home Main Category Clubhouse

Holiday baking has commenced

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,094 Senior Member
My kitchen is too small for 2 people to work in simultaneously.
Since wife has to work today, I was "under orders" to have all my baking done before she gets home and takes over the kitchen. Plus youngest and his crew (wife + 4 kids 10, 9, 5 & 3 )will be here this evening.

2 pecan pies are now in the oven. Taking a smoke break, and will then start on 4 pans of sourdough rolls.
Pics to follow

I'll also go ahead and get the fryer set up for the 2 turkey breasts later today
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    Luckily it's just me and the cat (Lucky) here currently. She doesn't say much ;)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    Best way to eat Pecan pie: Frozen. Really. Try it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Did that once on your suggestion-- it tastes like frozen pecan pie. You are smoking crack.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    What did you expect it to taste like?!?!?
    But its darn good that way!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Pecan pie is good frozen, warm, room temp, and refrigerated. It is pecan pie!!! Of course it is good. Being such a rich dessert, I like it warm the best to bring out those wonderful flavors even more. Chilling and freezing dulls them.
    -Thomas Paine
    Add a hot, gooey, C-roll without frosting to your frozen Pecan pie! Better than baked Alaska!

edited November 2018 #8

Ummmm.....
    NO

Rolls are beginning their first rise

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Rolls are beginning their first rise
    Just rollin', rollin', rollin',
    That dough is gettin' swollen,
    Got to punch that dough down,
    Roll dough!

Watch it risin' again,
    Pinch off dough balls and then,
    Slap 'em in the oven,
    Roll dough!

(I'm on a silly roll today. :D )
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Waiter! I'll have what he's having!! ;)

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    Pecan pie is good frozen, warm, room temp, and refrigerated. It is pecan pie!!! Of course it is good. Being such a rich dessert, I like it warm the best to bring out those wonderful flavors even more. Chilling and freezing dulls them.
    I have to disagree.  I just can't do pecan pie.  Might as well go strip the bark off a tree and make a pie with it.  It would taste the same..  I've just never been able to like it.

My mom and step dad own pecan orchards and produce thousands of pounds of pecans every year.  I get sent home with just about every pecan concoction you can think of.  And then I give it away to anyone who will take it.  Maybe I'm just a victim of pecan overdose..
    Sucks to be you Jay :s

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Sucks to be you Jay :s
    Until it's time for them to prune the pecan orchards.  Then I get all the free pecan wood I can load on my trailer.  One thing pecan is good for.  Smoking meat...  B)
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Ole man liked Mincemeat pies, I never took to them. Even though I doubt the traditional meat and suet was in most of the ones he ate.

A tiny piece of pecan pie is OK. I remember Pecan Nut Rolls from those roadside joints called Stuckey's.........don't see them around like I used to when I was a kid.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Oh, Mincemeat! Be still my heart! Mincemeat pies and Mincemeat cookies! Mighty fine eatin' there, son!

Rolls are done.
    Cooling now, then covered and re-warmed tomorrow

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    My wife made a cherry cheesecake, pumpkin roll, and a pumpkin pie today while I was in bed. Another reason to hate midnights. 5pm TG dinner is like a big brunch.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    httpwebmail2armstrongmywirecomservicehomeauthcolocen_USid132678part2
    Done last night. 1 pecan, one dark chocolate pecan, 3 sweet potato

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Rolls are done.
    Cooling now, then covered and re-warmed tomorrow

You starving me. Been in there watching her make pies and cakes along with a few other dishes for tomorrow. I could not sample nothing. All I got to do was wash the dishes.
  • Troy800Troy800 New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    I just just put the thanksgiving brisket on the smoker.  Wife baked pies today.
    Apple/cranberry pies are done. Now to finish the pumpkin pies and I am done for tonight.
    -Thomas Paine
    Apple/cranberry pies are done. Now to finish the pumpkin pies and I am done for tonight.
    That sounds good. Now that I'm back home I can't wait till summer to have some of mothers strawberry/rhubarb pie......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    We are doing a slightly abbreviated version of Thanksgiving dinner, because we are traveling, tomorrow. At least that was the original plan. Mrs. Bisley is still baking a 24 lb. brined turkey, an electric roaster full of cornbread dressing, with a baking hen for flavoring, a pear/cranberry pie, and a host of trimmings, brought by our guests.

As it turns out, we're still having about 25-30 people, and the only concession we have made for our travel day is to use Mrs. Schubert's Rolls, from Sam's Club, instead of home-made bread.
    Bisley-- so your dressing gets stuffed with a bird? You are my hero!
    -Thomas Paine
    I don't understand those who cook the dressing separately. Main reason for basting the bird is so you can cover the dressing with drippings. About 1/2 hour before carving I take out most of the liquids out to let the dressing drain so it is moist but not soggy.
    edited November 2018 #28
    1) The amount of stuffing I need far exceeds the capacity of the two turkeys I am cooking.
    2) I spatchcock the birds-- I can get 2 in the oven at once, plus they cook faster and juicier.
    -Thomas Paine
    cpj said:

2) I spatchcock 
    You keep that thing away from food you’re preparing me, please. 
    My Army room mate had that....... took a lot of penicillin to clear it up.
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 733 Senior Member
    We have chess pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie, overnight fruit salad, rolls, and cranberry sauce done, the rest is cooking and the smells are mouth watering!  Y'all have a fine day feasting and giving thanks.....loving you each and every one, sending cyber hugs and love!
    Goddess Bless you too, Miss Mary! Tell Debby hello for me!