Home Main Category Clubhouse

Holiday baking has commenced

2»

Replies

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    When I make dressing for the turkey I put sausage in it, and yes it goes in the turkey. Makes for more flavorful gravy and a more moist bird. Doesn't hurt the flavor of the dressing ether.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    I don't understand those who cook the dressing separately. Main reason for basting the bird is so you can cover the dressing with drippings. About 1/2 hour before carving I take out most of the liquids out to let the dressing drain so it is moist but not soggy.
    It's very simple, really. You can't stuff enough dressing inside a turkey to feed 30 people. So, you bake the biggest turkey you can get into the oven, stuff it with apples, lemons, onions, garlic, etc.,and then bake a large ham, in case there isn't enough turkey.

Then you make your cornbread dressing with a baked hen that has been boned and sliced into small pieces, in a table-top electric roaster, and make a crock of giblet gravy, on the side. If you're lucky, everyone bloats up on the dressing, and you get to have turkey sandwiches, the next day. My grandma did it that way, and my wife's grandma did it that way, because it works great. This is a common way for 'farm folk' to cook large amounts of tasty food.

The 'traditional' stuffed turkey carved and served by the silver-haired head of the family, dressed in 'dinner' clothes, is a Hollywood invention for Frank Capra feel-good movies...at least in my neck of the woods. I bone out and slice the entire turkey and the ham,before the guests arrive, and it takes me about 20 minutes, and I need a shower, afterwards.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #34
    About 1/2 of my stuffing isn't 'in' the bird. Fills up the back 1/4 of roaster. I actually like the part that get caramelized by touching the sides of the roaster.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    bisley said:...and then bake a large ham, because that's what everybody really wants to eat.
    FIFY.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."