Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Massachusetts legalizes marijuana. Sales brisk!

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,398 Senior Member
I bet the Thanksgiving dinners at a lot of places will be happier occasions in Mass and CT because of this! And I predict no leftovers! :D

You can read the whole story at:

https://www.arcamax.com/business/businessnews/s-2148425

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. -- Early Tuesday morning, retired trucker Roger Crocker finished his overnight shift as an Uber driver and pointed his car north to Massachusetts, where for the first time in his life, legal pot was waiting.

At 3:30 a.m., the West Haven man was fifth to arrive at the Northampton cannabis store -- one of two Massachusetts dispensaries to begin selling recreational marijuana Tuesday. Over the next four and a half hours, the line behind the 68-year-old Crocker grew by hundreds of people, many intoxicated by the prospect of witnessing history and taking a piece or two home with them.

"I'm gonna have a little bit more fun as I get older, 'cause tomorrow is promised to nobody, certainly not somebody my age," Crocker said just before New England Treatment Access opened its doors at 8 a.m. "I'm happy for this."

Like Crocker, dozens of people woke early in towns across Connecticut on Tuesday to stand in sleet and snow outside NETA in Northampton and Cultivate in Leicester for the start of recreational marijuana sales, more than two years after Massachusetts voters approved a ballot question for legalization.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    More power to them. Just don't drive high or do it on the boss's time.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    I think the marijuana laws are kind of odd. MJ is a WEED and it is dispersed every year by birds migrating North and South. It was originally made illegal by racist laws, really! With all the hate and dissension going on in the U.S. right now, a hundred million people each smoking a big fat blunt would be the 'chill pill' the country desperately needs...............................And it would boost the economy through sales of chips 'n' dips, soft drinks, and other munchies! Win-Win! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    I don't know why anyone would ever get involved with such crap - but I'm glad its becoming increasingly legalized. People need to make their own choices, not have the nanny state looking over them from cradle to grave.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #7
    Given the choice, I'd rather deal with someone high on marijuana and giggling their butt off than someone high on bath salts trying to eat my face off, or a paranoid schizophrenic meth tweaker trying to kill me. The 'war on drugs' was doomed from inception. It goes against human nature in that 'the thing you attempt to prohibit becomes the thing that some people suddenly most desire.'  Why? BECAUSE IT GOT PROHIBITED!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    WORD.
    Prohibition was a bad idea in the 30s, and its a bad idea now. Zero chance of working and just the cause of crime and misery. I don't even drink alcohol (I'm nutty enough, can you imagine me on booze? :D), and consider it - along with drugs - to be "mostly" an evil. But outlawing it isn't the answer, even I know that.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Human desires flow like water around the rocks of prohibition.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #10
    I'm ambivalent about outlawing dangerous drugs, but I don't consider marijuana to be any more dangerous than alcohol, unless the person using it is already an idiot. I'm OK with those who use it in their own homes, or other 'safe' settings. I just don't want to try to have a conversation with them, unless I'm in the same condition they are in.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    Feel-good legislation 
    Gun control, too!
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Wambli Ska said: I don't know there is a field test like a breathalizer to test for pot in your system but a field impairment test as they do with DUIs by the side of the road should be a decent start.  The officer can also just hold a pizza slice in their hands,  If the suspect is absolutely unable to keep his eyes/hands off the slice, he's high... 
    I am not so sure about that. I don't smoke that crap, but if it is good pizza....
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,926 Senior Member
    They have a roadside oral swab that they are testing in some counties in MI...though the swabs still have to go to a lab for processing and they only reveal that there is mariuana in your system, not necessarily that it caused the impairment that you were stopped for...

In the end, people who are irresponsible and put others at risk driving under the influence are going to to so whether the drug is legal or not...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Revenue generator for the state...

NN said:
    Gun control, too!
    Yep, we need a sarcasm font for some folks.
    Overkill is underrated.

NN said:
    Gun control, too!
    Not sarcasm-----------------buy and use that state legal Maryjane and then truthfully
    fill out the form to buy a gun and see how well you pass a federal background check
    Bream made a joke. He said "feel good legislation"... like when you smoke that stuff, people say it makes them feel good-- but it could also be interpreted as insignificant legislation that doesn't make any difference in society-- feel good legislation.

It was funny.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Maybe I just don't see the whole picture, but the revenue generation here seems to be a flop. The November ballot was bursting with new and increased tax initiatives. When the local news questioned the location of marijuana revenue, they were told it went to administration. It was broadcast as a glossed over blurp in the minutia of daily news.

Jerm gets it.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,926 Senior Member
    NN said:

NN said:
    Gun control, too!
    Not sarcasm-----------------buy and use that state legal Maryjane and then truthfully
    fill out the form to buy a gun and see how well you pass a federal background check
    Do you not find it ironic that a person who is gorked out of their skull on prescription opiates can legally purchase a firearm? Or that an chronic drunk can do the same?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    NN said:

NN said:
    Gun control, too!
    Do you not find it ironic that a person who is gorked out of their skull on prescription opiates can legally purchase a firearm? Or that an chronic drunk can do the same?
    Yes; but, the operative word was sarcasm 
    From some quick research shows the industry in CO generating $1.5-2 billion in sales generating maybe $300m in taxes and fees. That sounds huge, but it's less than 0.5% of the economy and around 1% of state revenue. Not nothing, but certainly not a game changer.
    How much of that is now not going south of the border to line the pockets of drug cartels? How many less drug mules do we have smuggling stuff across the border? How much of that money stays in the local economy instead of funding organized crime? How much less are they paying to prosecute and jail some stoner with a bag of weed?
    -Thomas Paine
    Important questions.
    Where do we get the answers?
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Feel-good legislation 
    Gun control, too!
    This. They are all ready talking about this. Mary Jane users don't need guns.

Oh absolutely! There is no question it's a fairly big net positive. It's just that some of the proponents have sold it is a cure all for all of a state's problems financially and economically. 
    That's how it was sold here. I suppose naively, I had expectations that the money wouldn't be absorbed by a parasitic bureaucracy.
    If everything the hardcore weed activists says is true, cancer would be cured and we could run all our vehicles on weed-- it will save the planet!
    -Thomas Paine
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Either everyone that I’ve had to call NICS for a background check on is an angel, or people aren’t honest. Who TF in their right (or wrong) mind would be honest on a 4473 when they want a gun?
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    The marijuana initiative failed here, the fact that it was backed by a company out of San Francisco probably didn't help.
    If everything the hardcore weed activists says is true, cancer would be cured and we could run all our vehicles on weed-- it will save the planet!
    Between weed and essential oils, we can cure everything and live forever!
    Overkill is underrated.
    edited November 2018 #29
    Isn't pot an herbal supplement?

(That's a joke for those unaccustomed to such things, especially in politics.  Which are really one big joke themselves.)
    Overkill is underrated.
    Either everyone that I’ve had to call NICS for a background check on is an angel, or people aren’t honest. Who TF in their right (or wrong) mind would be honest on a 4473 when they want a gun?
    A lot of us are honest
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I read some place that those with a state medical card in some places will be denied a gun purchase. It's in the computer data files and raises a flag.

Of course, in states where it is legal without a card they have no way of knowing. Unless you tell them or get stopped with some in the car and have a gun legally. Then I don't know what they would do. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!