Home Main Category General Firearms

Used rack strikes again.

mitdr774mitdr774 MemberPosts: 1,445 Senior Member
While browsing a local outdoor sporting goods place one rifle in the used rack called to me.   I picked it up,  fondled it a bit and put it back.   I walked away and did my other shopping/ browsing.   Before I knew it I was back in front of the used rack looking at the rifle again.   I know it's not a surplus,  and as such I wouldn't feel bad taking it out to play from time to time even if the weather blows. 

Its marked as a M63.  Manufactured by Zastava for Mitchell MFG corporation.   It is chambered for 8mm Mauser and I'm sure the 18" barrel will affect velocity a fair bit.  Came with a Burris 2 power scope on it as well.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    That looks like it will be a fun rifle. And with an 18" barrel it will be LOUD! Have fun with that one!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Sight it in at dawn ot dusk. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Varget or IMR4064 behind a 150gr sp or 170gr rn.  I'm guessing that I will be getting some kind of slip on pad for the butt of this thing.  This now makes 8mm number 4.  Two are in decent shape for surplus, one is a donor they appears to have started life as a true K98 but was ruined, and now this one.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    That looks like it will be a fun rifle. And with an 18" barrel it will be LOUD! Have fun with that one!
    Looks like a heavy cast bullet / 2400 combo to me! :smile:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I may or may not leave the Burris scope on it.  That will depend greatly on the cost of putting a rear sight on it.    While im sure the scope is just fine, past experience with the warranty process has left me with a dislike for even using their products anymore.

I do have another Mauser I picked up that came with a MoJo rear sight on it.  I may look into swapping that over if it will even work, but then I will have to acquire and install the correct rear sight for the other rifle.

Hopefully sometime in the next few weeks I can get it to a range.  If its not soon it might be a while since I think im about to be on a 6 day a week job thats supposed to run for 9 months.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    With that much work time it will be tough to get some shooting in .
    The good news is that you will still have the gun when the time comes around .
    Nice find there !
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    It's a Mauser!! NICE! E bay has a butt load of rear sights! Should be easy to find.
    The machine quality is not up to the standard of most surplus Mausers, but its no worse than the machine quality of the commercial Zastava M70 rifles I have purchased.  Even as a newer production rifle it is still a Mauser 98 and should be a good performer.  I would rather spend the money on this than on a new or even used Rem 700.

I am a sucker for a Mauser.  Most of my hunting rifles are built off of Mausers and I have a few surplus Mausers as well.  
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Cool!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I'm hoping it's a shooter as it looks too good to just rip apart for an action.

Now it might be time to find a new home for my FR-8.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Looks like a Yugo sporterized by Zastava. Zastava after all is a Yugoslavian company.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    mitdr774 said:
    Varget or IMR4064 behind a 150gr sp or 170gr rn.  I'm guessing that I will be getting some kind of slip on pad for the butt of this thing.  This now makes 8mm number 4.  Two are in decent shape for surplus, one is a donor they appears to have started life as a true K98 but was ruined, and now this one.

mitdr774 said:

I used to shoot a 150 grain bullet in mine but switched to a 175 Grain SGK. A little less MV but a good bit more punch.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited November 2018 #14
    mitdr774 said:
    The machine quality is not up to the standard of most surplus Mausers, but its no worse than the machine quality of the commercial Zastava M70 rifles I have purchased.  Even as a newer production rifle it is still a Mauser 98 and should be a good performer.  I would rather spend the money on this than on a new or even used Rem 700.

I am a sucker for a Mauser.  Most of my hunting rifles are built off of Mausers and I have a few surplus Mausers as well. 

Me too, but I like em all, Mauser, CRF, or push feed, Remington, Ruger, Howa, Winchester,you name it, as long as you operate it with a bolt I'm a sucker for it.
    snake284 said:
    Looks like a Yugo sporterized by Zastava. Zastava after all is a Yugoslavian company.
    Based on the makings and machine work quality, I assume it's a fairly modern manufacture.  I wouldn't be surprised if the action was made within the last 10 years.  I could be wrong though.

Zastava has been producing M98 based rifles for quite some time.  Only a handful have been sold under their name here though.

For older surplus I tend to like bullets more appropriate for the cartridge.  For instance, my M96 really only sees 160gr round nose bullets.  This will most likely be shot with 170gr and up bullets  unless of course it likes 150gr better.

I prefer a CRF style over a push feed.  I'm sure that has a lot to do with what I grew up on though.  I have several push feed rifles, but always find myself looking at something with a big claw extractor over something with a little flimsy extractor.  At least my Howa mini action and Tikka T3 have something more substantial than either of my 700 actions for an extractor.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    I've got an 8mm original, beautiful Mauser  It weighs about 7#.  Has a rib on the barrel and panels on the stock. I don't hunt, and so I download for this lightweight rifle and find it pleasant to shoot at about 2100 fps.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Its marked Mitchel's, they're post war mid- length 98's like the Yugo Snake is talking about. They bought surplus, polished them up and put them together like ww2 guns,  but likely made in the 50's. They've got zero collector value. If it shoots great,  fantastic! If not,  don't feel bad chopping it up into a custom.  Just remember if you change stocks you need a mid length stock,  standard 98 won't work
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I think it's new production and not surplus.  I have seen some rough surplus rifles and they had much better internal machine work finish than this rifle.  It's on par with my new production Zastava M70 rifles.  I have been informed of the Mitchell issues and as such I look at it as worst case a donor action.  It's a looker and hopefully a shooter.  If not, it becomes something else.
    edited November 2018 #19
    I don't believe it's new production, but could have been made after the war as late as the early 50s I believe. If it's what I'm thinking it's some form of Yugo which is probably made by Zastava or modified by them. Yugos are a medium length action about 1/4" shorter than a 98 but otherwise pretty much the same action. I've got a Zastava made for Charles Daly but it's a full length Commercial action. Yugo's are strong and the perfect action for some of the intermediate length cartridges, such as the 7x57, 8x57, .257 Roberts and 6mm Remington. They leave you enough room to seat bullets out farther where the base of the bullet doesn't take up space for propellant, unlike something like a Model 700 short action which sorta cramps an intermediate length cartridges style. I've got 4 of that action. So far I've sporterized two, one's a .257 AI and the other I left the Military barrel on so it's still 8x57. I'm going to sporter one more in 6mm Remington and leave one in Mil Surp form.  Big Al, Teach, Tenn Mike, some of those guys can tell you more about it. I'm not a Mauser GURU by any means, I just like Mauser's and know just enough to overload my Arse.
    I have to dig out my Zatava M70 and compare side to side, but the lack of sign of a crest removal or other marking removal would suggest it was never intended for military use.  I cant really see where it looks like markings were scrubbed from the metal.   Im not saying it isnt possible that it did start life as a military receiver, but it just doesnt have that feel to it.  

I have debated it a bit, but if it doesnt shoot I may look into a rebore to .35 caliber and either a .35 Remington or .358 Winchester.  
    That would be interesting. I think you're on to something. I hope you do something like that. It would be super cool. It might be interesting to build a .35 wildcat of some sort, maybe a .35x57.
    edited November 2018 #22
    Now that is an interesting idea.  I may just have to think about that if this thing doesnt shoot.  I guess I need to look at putting some dummy rounds together at some point now.

edit:

Upon further digging, it apperas as though there is a 9x57 cartridge.  Looks like you were onto an idea there after all.  Now I really am intrigued by this as a possible option.
    I was doing some browsing and coming up empty.  Anyone know of a "slip on" recoil pad that will properly fit a Mauser stock?  Galco offers a leather pad, but the listed dimensions dont work for my rifle (or probably any surplus out there).  I dont do steel butt plates very well anymore, and dont feel like trying to stick some thick tape on it to soften the edge of the plate if I can avoid it.
    edited November 2018 #25
    Its marked Mitchel's, they're post war mid- length 98's like the Yugo Snake is talking about. They bought surplus, polished them up and put them together like ww2 guns,  but likely made in the 50's. They've got zero collector value. If it shoots great,  fantastic! If not,  don't feel bad chopping it up into a custom.  Just remember if you change stocks you need a mid length stock,  standard 98 won't work
    You're exactly right and that's why I don't sweat sportering up one of my Yugos. My 4 Yugo's are 24/47s. I think they're action was a 1924 Mauser barreled or re-barreled after the war during or after 1947, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Surplus doesn't just mean issued military rifles.  Just a contract made for a country.  Lots of yugo's were made post ww2. Also have to remember that's when the SKS and AK-47 were coming into service.  Those bolts become obsolete and aren't ever issued.  Its well known Mitchel Mausers are just Yugo's with new accessories attached.  People talk down about them because MM basically advertised that they found a stash of un issued WW2 guns and charged huge premiums. Really they were parts bin assemblies.  Still nothing wrong with them.  No Yugo, true surplus or post WW2 will compete for quality or machining of most standard surplus 98's, they can be polished up like one. Still make a fine hunting rifle.  My 2 are a bit more rough than my FN or 1909, but still well put together. 

As far as a rebore remember the actual cartridge has to be the same case as the original,  or bigger. So you can't do a 35 Rem or 358 Win. Like you discovered,  the 9x57 would work, since it shares the same parent case dimension. As well, you could have a 9.3x57 done, and if enough meat at the muzzle, a 9.5x57/9.5x56ms/375 Rimless NE 2 1/4" (they're all the same thing). Doubt you would have enough bbl to do the biggest x57, the 10.75x57.

Also, the yugo isn't long enough for 30-06 based, so no 35 Whelen. 

Pre-threaded mauser barrels are easy to come by, so anything based on the x57 or 308 case would fit just dandy.  

I WAS originally going to use mine for a 376 Steyr, its a perfect fit. I ended up using a no name 98 (all markings were removed) because there is no option for a synthetic yugo stock without going full custom.  Im not spending 1k on a stock for a yugo lol. 
    snake284 said:
    You're exactly right and that's why I don't sweat sportering up one of my Yugos. My 4 Yugo's are 24/47s. I think they're action was a 1924 Mauser barreled or re-barreled after the war during or after 1947, correct me if I'm wrong.
    The 24/47 is a step up from my M44's! But they command a premium the days. I think i got both M44's for under 200 ea.

Let me know the next time you're going to see Dwight. He still has my 308 bbl haha. I need to use that or sell it
    Zastava hasnt really stopped making new Mauser actions, which is why I wouldnt be shocked if it was a recent production that was made purely for MM.  Could be older and scrubbed clean of markings at the same time though.  

I know the .358 or .35 would require the barrel being set back for the shorter cartridge.  Not sure of the practicality of that though.  A 9x57 would allow for some fun .35 cal shooting though.  Another option is of course a full custom job where I ditch everything but the action.  Seeing as how this gun has zero value to me as a collectors item, I would not be bothered at all to do that.

Galco did respond to my question to them about their slip on recoil pad.  I might pick up the one they suggested and see how it is.  I have concerns about the one linked a few posts ago actually staying on with much use.
    edited November 2018 #29
    You're correct. You don't have anything to lose custom building or bubba'd whatever. Even my Yugos are not really collectable. I am keeping one in Mil Surp form because I like Mil Surps. I don't really have mil surps for collecting other than I just like them. I'll never sell the ones I have so I don't care if they have collector value or not. So three of my four Yugo's will become something else (two of the four already have) and get the straight bolt bent, a Timney Trigger and probably a Beuhler safety installed, a stronger firing pin spring to improve lock time, the rear sight base removed and the action drilled and tapped for scope mounting, and 2 of the three sporterized ones with  a new barrel (I'm leaving one in 8x57 with the military barrel on it) chambered in the caliber of my choice fitted and head spaced. I put 2 of them in Boyd's Stocks and will probably do that to the last of the three. The Yugo makes a great sporter.
    My 1905 production M96 will remain as a surplus rifle.  Still has the original finish on the metal as far as I can tell.  I have two other surplus Mausers that will remain as they are most likely.  One more butchered Mauser that will be rebuilt into something else most likely.  Top one has been ruined as it appears to have started life as a k98 with a stamped trigger guard.  That one may become a donor action. The middle one was a gift from my dad.  Nothing fancy, but a nice surplus rifle that will remain as is.  The bottom one was picked up a little while ago.  Its most likely been refinished and has a Mo Jo rear sight on it.  Chances are I will leave it alone as its in good shape and will most likely shot well.

I grew up around Mauser based rifles.  My first build was on a M96, and my second build was on a 1908.  Crap picture but its what I have of my .35 Whelen on a 1908.  This rifle has been together for at least 15 years with that stock (scope was changed due to the Burris failing) and survived a trip to and from Namibia.  The baggage handles back stateside did their dammdest to get the case smashed open, but didnt succeed.  It might be the favorite rifle of mine.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    It looks like first class work!
    I especially like the fore end tip. Burled wood??? Never seen one like thst before.