Home Main Category General Firearms

Used rack strikes again.

2»

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    If I remember correct it is a piece of rosewood for the tip.  The stock was just a chunk of black walnut.  Nothing fancy as it was for dragging around the brush.  Good for all kinds of game from jackal to zebra and Kudu.

If this "M63" doesnt shoot, a .358 Winchester rebuild to match the .35 Whelen might be in order.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Don't overlook the 9x57 either.  You can run 358 velocity at lower pressure,  or get close to the 35W. 8x57 brass is pretty cheap.  Though,  so is 308 brass. But its a shorter jump from 323 to 358
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #34
    Don't overlook the 9x57 either.  You can run 358 velocity at lower pressure,  or get close to the 35W. 8x57 brass is pretty cheap.  Though,  so is 308 brass. But its a shorter jump from 323 to 358

Exactly! It's a great match. The .366 Diameter to the 57mm case. If the .358 Win. is great then the 9.3x57 is even better. It's only drawback is that it's just a hair too long for the short action, which is no problem when chambered in the Yugo or medium length Mauser action.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    9 not 9.3
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    The 18" barrel will have a decent effect on how it shoots if I have to take a guess.  Going to check with my local indoor range next time I'm there to see if they will let me shoot it there.  I dont think it will be an issue,  but normally they dont allow rifles over .30 caliber (no magnums).  I'm sure given it's less powerful than a .30-06 it wont be an issue though.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,741 Senior Member
    About the same as an 06 in power.  My indoor range wouldn't allow it because high rounds would penetrate the steel above the sandbags.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I checked with them today when I went in for a range therapy session.  All good to shoot it there.  

Hopefully the slip on recoil pad shows up soon.  I think I have one more week before work consumes my life for the next 7-9 months.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    9 not 9.3
    Well, if 9 is good, 9.3 is even better.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    By that theory I should just blow out the bottle neck and have a .410x57.  :D 

I have not shot it yet, but Im not  a big fan of scout scope setups.  Just have to see how it goes when I do get it to the range.

You'd be pretty close to a 405 Win at that point,  which isn't a bad place to be. 
    Chances are that if it does come down to a rebarrel job I will end up with a .358 Win to go with my .35 Whelen.  If the current barrel can be safely rebored to make it a 9x57 it will be an option as well.  I do have a few other "wildcat" ideas that this action might be able to work with, but it may still be too long for those ideas to work without a lot of messing around.

Just loaded up 50 rounds of 8x57 with 170gr RN bullets.  Starting at what should be about 2400 fps from a 24" barrel up to 2750 fps from a 24" barrel.  Seeing as how this rifle has an 18" barrel my velocity will be a fair bit lower.  For poops and grins I did load up a handful of rounds using trail boss.
    358 is a grear choice. 

Im leaning towards 9.3x57 on one of mine,  and possibly 308 to give to my cousins wife.  We've been taking about chipping in to buy her a rifle of her own.  I offered the idea of using one of my yugo's.