A bit of excitement at the local WalMart

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,733 Senior Member
I'm at the register checking out when two SD's walk in and start talking with the manager. I can hear the conversation.

Deputy 1: Any idea where he is?
Manager: No, we think he's somewhere in the back, possibly in a storage area. 
Deputy 1: Do you know if he's armed?
Manager: No idea, he was being aggressive and combative with everyone around. We watched the exits and he did not leave the store.  

Two additional SD's walk in. 

This is my cue to GTFO. 

I have no idea what happened, but I'll check out the local crime report to see who/what happened. 
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,605 Senior Member
    Were you able to leave with your merchandise, or did abandon it in place?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,733 Senior Member
    I left with it. I was paying while eavesdropping. While loading my stuff into the truck, I was VERY aware of the exits in my proximity. Yes, I was armed. 

Ayn Rand
    probably the only time you wish you had parked in the back 40 somewhere...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,184 Senior Member
    Probably a meth-head looking for stuff to steal but since his head was in the clouds somewhere, he didn't "think" his grand plan all the way through.

I'm guessing he slipped out the back, the employees didn't try (told not to) to stop him and he might have been arrested later. ("if" there were no reported shooting in that area that day.)

Keep us posted.
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    edited November 2018 #6
    Turns out it was a bomb threat. Not sure why the SD's were asking about some dude. Maybe he made the call to facilitate an escape? Maybe he was unrelated to the bomb threat.

http://www.khq.com/story/23990068/officials-investigating-bomb-threat-at-sandpoint-walmart

Ayn Rand
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,184 Senior Member
    Sounds like a dirt-bag using a bomb threat to make good his escape. Maybe, he regained enough of his senses to realize where he was and had to come up with plan -- Fast.

I'm guessing no bomb will be found.

Is this the first bomb threat in your area?
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    Yeah, no bomb found. Not the first bomb threat in the area, but the first one I was close to. 

Ayn Rand
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,604 Senior Member
    Almost anything can happen or be found and even sometimes lost at your friendly neighborhood walmart. 
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,653 Senior Member
    Walmart reached a new dimension, a few years ago, when they started recruiting Walmartians that didn't have orange hair,  for checkers, stockers, and customer service. I don't think I have received a single correct answer to any question, since.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,934 Senior Member
    My wife said there were zero checkers at Wal-Mart tonight, had to use the self serve, she was not amused, one checker wandered up to a register as she was finishing up.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    My wife said there were zero checkers at Wal-Mart tonight, had to use the self serve, she was not amused, one checker wandered up to a register as she was finishing up.
    I wouldn't have been amused either. A checker would have been forthcoming or somebody would have been putting all my stuff back on the shelves as I would have abandoned it in place...

The one good thing about the self check out is your items don't get damaged. The checkers bag things up poorly and mistreat my groceries. The bad part is if an item won't scan. Valuable personal time gets lost well that gets sorted out. The other bad part is the denial of employment to the local community and denial of service to the paying customer.

In my case I choose to deal with it.
    The one good thing about the self check out is your items don't get damaged. The checkers bag things up poorly and mistreat my groceries. The bad part is if an item won't scan. Valuable personal time gets lost well that gets sorted out. The other bad part is the denial of employment to the local community and denial of service to the paying customer.

In my case I choose to deal with it.
    I can't say as I've had problems with the baggers at my local Mal*Wart, but YMMV as the saying goes.
    My wife likes to use the self-check, I refuse on principle.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    What annoys me most about the self serve checkout at my local supermarket  is that who ever programmed it used my ex wifes voice.............

............and she still doesnt listen to me.

" Place the item in the bagging area"
    "I just did"
    "Place the item in the bagging area"
    "I just did, why dont you listen to what I said?"
    " Place the item in the bagging area"
    " Stop nagging damnit, its in the bagging area"
    " A customer service representative will be with you shortly"

The other thing that annoys me is that when I walk up to the self serve checkout now, all the staff look at me and start laughing..............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,460 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #16
    For some unexplained reason, the voice on our self checkouts switches accents mid stream... as you're scanning items, it's "standard" midwest American, kind of vanilla.  . When you pay with cash, it switches to a generic UK accent.  Truly weird.  

Oh, and this thread is officially hijacked. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Love the self checkout, myself. Far faster for me to do it than it is for the twit who’s bitching about waiting to go on break and whining about how she hasn’t been on break, and how her baby daddy and her three kids blah blah friggin blah. 
    This.  A thousand times, this.

I was in line for a checkout with the guy in front of me griping about self checkouts taking jobs from people, then the checker screwed up his order and was surly about it.  

I resisted saying anything because I don’t like talking to people anyway
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    When you have a cart full, it blows, I worked grocery for 4 years in college, the self check out setup is way slower than me on a regular register, but thats just me.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    When you have a cart full, it blows, I worked grocery for 4 years in college, the self check out setup is way slower than me on a regular register, but thats just me.
    Yep. Slow as molasses in January. You're right, I never thought of that.

Self checks are generally meant for high volume, quick, SMALL orders... 

If you have a cart full (or more), have lots of stuff that needs to be weighed or has a "look up" number instead of a barcode to be scanned, just go to the register... even if you hate people and are a general Richard Cranium.  If you're a couponer you really should not even consider the self checks.  
    George Carlin
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,104 Senior Member
    The WalMarts in my area have gone to having only 2-3 regular checkout lines open, with 10+ self-check lines.  Considering how many folks at WalMart buy a cartload, if just half the folks with said cartloads were to line up for the regular lanes, you'd have pretty significant backups. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    The WalMarts in my area have gone to having only 2-3 regular checkout lines open, with 10+ self-check lines.  Considering how many folks at WalMart buy a cartload, if just half the folks with said cartloads were to line up for the regular lanes, you'd have pretty significant backups. 
    That's pretty much how it is here too - and at Homeless Despot as well. That's OK, I'm retired, I'll wait. I'm just hard headed enough to not do what "they" want me to.

We could have accounts at our frequented retailers. The carts could be set up to scan our cards and all the items placed inside. Billed at the end of the month???????

I guess ciber shopping with delivery over rules that?????
    Oh, I'm well aware of the way things are at the great Satan... but you make a valid point.  Wal Mart doesn't do things the way everybody else does.  They don't have to.  I think it's funny that they won't have four registeres open, but they will have four employees standing around the self check kiosk, making sure folks aren't stealing...
    George Carlin
    edited November 2018 #25
    We could have accounts at our frequented retailers. The carts could be set up to scan our cards and all the items placed inside. Billed at the end of the month???????

I guess ciber shopping with delivery over rules that?????
    Patience.  It's coming. What it would take is the ability for customer X to be weighed upon entry to the store... there would likely have to be a store "saver's card" with a chip or some such that would serve as an identifier, so that the carrier of that card is known to weigh 150 pounds when entering & STILL weighs 150 when leaving.  In addition, the cart would have to be able to reliably weigh each item scanned and added, to make sure Tim isn't scanning a can of soda, but actually putting meat into his cart.  Ideally, the ability to differentiate between a pound of flour and a pound of lobster would be a requirement. 

Make no mistake though, this IS in the works. 
    George Carlin
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    I needed to grab a tube of toothpaste at a target last night.  That is all I had.  After waiting in line at a regular checkout for 10 minutes and seeing the line at the self checkouts just get longer and longer.... I just put my purchase on the shelf and walked out.

i ordered it from amazon today and it will be at the house tonight.  

I did did figure out why I like self checkouts more.  There is a 100% more likelihood of an idiot being involved in the transaction at a traditional checkout since there are two people involved (checker and customer).  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Patience.  It's coming. What it would take is the ability for customer X to be weighed upon entry to the store... there would likely have to be a store "saver's card" with a chip or some such that would serve as an identifier, so that the carrier of that card is known to weigh 150 pounds when entering & STILL weighs 150 when leaving.  In addition, the cart would have to be able to reliably weigh each item scanned and added, to make sure Tim isn't scanning a can of soda, but actually putting meat into his cart.  Ideally, the ability to differentiate between a pound of flour and a pound of lobster would be a requirement. 

Make no mistake though, this IS in the works. 
    It probably won't be a chip card, it'll probably be tied to a smart fone.
    No thanx.

Possibly.  Lots of ways to skin that cat.

And, also no thanks.  Most folks will have to just deal with it... I'll be the guy who has to deal with it AND fix it when it breaks. 😡
    George Carlin
    Possibly.  Lots of ways to skin that cat.

And, also no thanks.  Most folks will have to just deal with it... I'll be the guy who has to deal with it AND fix it when it breaks. 😡
    Can you imagine if the system is somehow not working properly, talk about 'shrink', have to rely on peoples ethics not too clean out your store.
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 937 Senior Member
    I’m surprised that technology hasn’t made it so that you just wheel your cart up to the checkout and all of your items are instantly remotely scanned and you just pay for it, bag it and leave.
    I’m surprised that technology hasn’t made it so that you just wheel your cart up to the checkout and all of your items are instantly remotely scanned and you just pay for it, bag it and leave.
    A version of this happens... I forget where I read about this (it was some time back) where items were scanned in the cart.  A couple of our stores had "tunnel" scanners that used multiple cameras and lasers to do what needed doing.  You just throw stuff on the belt on this side while somebody else bags on that side.  They worked. Sort of.  When they weren't out of order.  Obscenely expensive compared to regular self checks, but at least they broke down twice as often...🙄
    George Carlin