Home Main Category Clubhouse

I thought y'all said it was only southerners....

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,070 Senior Member
that can't drive in the snow.

Just watching the news about the snow in Colorado, 20 car pile-up including a tanker carrying hazmat.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    Oh no they are not alone ..... up here people who never been south are bad drivers . First couple snows seem to surprise the stupid ones . The snow hits every year yet the drive like it is dry pavement . Those same people think a stop sign is only a suggestion .
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    See, the thing is Ron, snow is only an occasional thing here, so most places find it less stressful to just shut down for a day or 2 and let it melt.

I call what they use, "The God principal" They figure God put it there, God can take it away
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    I worked in Texas one year & they got snow . It was funny to watch guys with wide tires on there trucks try to get around . I was in a motel & went to work . They couldn't believe that I drove in . The city shut down ... it was fine except I couldn't eat because nothing was open . Good thing I am fat .
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    It's Colorado...most of them are California transplants. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    We have a system here. It goes like this. Accelerate rapidly until you become frightened, then slam hard on the brakes.  Repeat until all vehicle control is lost or one reaches their destination. Whichever comes first.

If one of those freak collisions happen. You know, the ones that always happen to other people. Stand outside your vehicle repeating this phrase. I was just driving along minding my own business, I don't know what happened!?!?!?

It's a very good system.

Unless of course, you need to go somewhere.😣
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    There' a lot of prune pickers, aka Californians, who have migrated to California.  No telling where these drivers learned to drive or have done most of their driving. 
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    Californians are the worst drivers in the country to start with, mixing them with snow isn't a particularly good idea.
    I don't know how to drive in snow, so I just stay away from it. My wife grew up in Chicagoland, she can deal with it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Having just returned from Houston, I can only say that I am truly thankful that it didn't snow while we were dodging the lunatics that have taken over the freeways since my last visit (well over 30 years ago).

I had to put Mrs. Bisley behind the wheel, so I could be free to operate the GPS on her smart phone, else we would have never managed to get to our hotel.

Maybe the influx of rural types who invaded the city for high school football playoffs disrupted the normal ebb and flow of fanatical driving habits. Whatever it was, I still say that the best thing to come out of Houston is I-45. When I could see it in my rear view mirror, I had a smile on my face that lasted all of the way back home.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Californians are the worst drivers in the country to start with, mixing them with snow isn't a particularly good idea.
    I don't know how to drive in snow, so I just stay away from it. My wife grew up in Chicagoland, she can deal with it.
    I doubt doubt you're correct when you say she can handle it, but being from the Chicago area (or anywhere "north", for that matter) doesn't necessarily make one a competent driver.  Folks always seem to need a reminder or two that, yes, ice and snow are still slippery and, no, antilock brakes don't guarantee you won't hit anything.  Also, 4WD/AWD is an aid to traction on startup, not so much on slow down. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    The 3 worst driver states in no particular order: Tennessee, Texas and Florida. As for snow, we are used to it and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that you accelerate slow, ease into brakes and don’t make abrupt movements. Also give yourself plenty of room just Incase. Best drivers by state I’ve witnessed were Alaskan drivers. Seriously 
    edited November 2018 #12
    Nope - the drivers here in Florida are HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the idiots I left in California. Yea, Florida drivers do stupid things too - but in general not anywhere near as bad as Californians. In fact, I can usually tell a Californian by the way s/he drives before I even see the license plate!
    My main beef with Florida drivers is they can't seem to make a RH turn when they have their own lane to turn into - a metric butt load of them STOP instead of just going into said lane. Drives me nuts - I always have my foot above the brake and hand above the horn when I'm going into one of these situations behind somebody.
    They also won't get out into the intersection for a left hand turn either - but it turns out that technique isn't legal here, so its not the drivers' fault.
    The roads here are still taking me a bit to get used to - there are no shoulders and you can be blasting down a 55MPH four lane, and suddenly have to stand on the brakes because somebody wants to turn, and there's no place for them to slow down except the traffic lane. This happens for both right AND left turn-offs.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    I doubt doubt you're correct when you say she can handle it, but being from the Chicago area (or anywhere "north", for that matter) doesn't necessarily make one a competent driver.  Folks always seem to need a reminder or two that, yes, ice and snow are still slippery and, no, antilock brakes don't guarantee you won't hit anything.  Also, 4WD/AWD is an aid to traction on startup, not so much on slow down. 
    When my kids were learning how to drive we practiced on snow and ice in empty parking lots. Slam on the brakes to get a feeling of sliding w/o stopping and turning the wheel to fast to force spinouts. Neither have been in a ditch. Yet.  
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    Yeah, and they're all on marijuana... 
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Gila said:
    CaliFFL said:
    Yeah, and they're all on marijuana... 
    Better than a buncha drunks on the road...

Adam J. McCleod

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Nope - the drivers here in Florida are HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the idiots I left in California. Yea, Florida drivers do stupid things too - but in general not anywhere near as bad as Californians. In fact, I can usually tell a Californian by the way s/he drives before I even see the license plate!
    My main beef with Florida drivers is they can't seem to make a RH turn when they have their own lane to turn into - a metric butt load of them STOP instead of just going into said lane. Drives me nuts - I always have my foot above the brake and hand above the horn when I'm going into one of these situations behind somebody.
    They also won't get out into the intersection for a left hand turn either - but it turns out that technique isn't legal here, so its not the drivers' fault.
    The roads here are still taking me a bit to get used to - there are no shoulders and you can be blasting down a 55MPH four lane, and suddenly have to stand on the brakes because somebody wants to turn, and there's no place for them to slow down except the traffic lane. This happens for both right AND left turn-offs.
    For the record, us Native Floridians can drive just fine.  It's all the transplants that give us a bad name......just like the 2 counties (full of transplants) that still can't figure out how to hold an election without drama. :D
    No matter where you go, people will drive like idiots because they're pretty much just like everybody else.  The ones you think drive great, are basically the ones who drive like you do and are predictable because of it.  I'm not saying EVERYBODY drives poorly, just that we're each more used to folks who think and act similarly to us.  

Oh, and Chicago drivers are easily the worst! 🤣😉

George Carlin
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    I drive all over the country, and the worst drivers I have experience with are in Los Angeles.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I've heard that about "LaLa" land, but I've never had the "pleasure" of experiencing it in person.  
    George Carlin
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Want to find the worst drivers?  Get on the I-95 and head South.  As you approach the Palm Beach county line it starts.  As you get close to Broward county you will yelling at the crazy drivers.  Keep going south and you will know when you enter Miami/Dade county. How will you know?  You will be cut off, run off the road, nobody will use a turn signal, and you will learn that the rules changed. A red light means 3 sometimes 4 more cars can go.  You will either adapt or lose your mind. Send these same people north into snow and all bets are off
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Keep 'em there.  We've got enough 
    George Carlin
    Zorba mentioned using his horn. Here in Kentucky it’s used sparingly because idiots will start a road rage incident for using the horn, in turn calling them out on their screw up. They get mad at YOU when they are at fault.
    Zorba mentioned using his horn. Here in Kentucky it’s used sparingly because idiots will start a road rage incident for using the horn, in turn calling them out on their screw up. They get mad at YOU when they are at fault.
    I've had that happen to me once already. Guy tried to change lanes right on top of me, so I honked. So he thought it would be a good idea to ride my ass with his brights on - until I led him to the cops!

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    40 years in Louisiana didn't teach me much about driving in snow, but 14 years in Colorado has smoothed out the edges some. Here's what I've learned.

1-2" of snow is slipperier than 4-6". Light snow amounts often partially melt then refreeze (meaning ICE), and deeper amounts aren't so prone to this.  Pure dry snow actually provides pretty decent traction if you're not a fool about it.

1/2 to 2/3 the posted speed limit is reasonable. If you can't do that go back to California.

Slow down. Leave tons of room between you and the vehicle ahead of you. 

Traffic ahead and behind you aren't the only dangers....jerks that decide to drive beside you at the same speed as you are limiting both yours and their side to side maneuvering to 4-5 feet, much less than the amount you can control front to rear.

Anticipate stops and turns well in advance. 

Ice is way worse than snow. Sometimes it's tough to tell if the street is just wet or iced. If the road surface is shiney look for spray from the tires from the vehicle ahead of you. If no spray, assume it's ice.

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Spot on. I also recommend people find a wide open space “legally” to purposely see how their vehicle acts/reacts in inclimate weather. The wife gets pissed when I do that with her in the car. Donuts are fun, regardless of age.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    My wife "fusses" when I do it as well, and I usually just do it in my truck

edited November 2018 #27
    ...If no spray, assume it's ice.

So what you're saying, is that if the vehicle in front of you isn't spraying, you'd best be praying! Just saying. :D

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Anyone that can sit comfortably in their vehicle well its parked on the interstate well do well in the snow here.❄
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    Contrary to popular belief california can get snow, grew up in Lancaster and lived in Tehachapi for almost 30 years. As a kid every time it snowed my dad would go out looking for the deepest snow, seen up to 2 feet of the white stuff there. He was born and raised in Minnesota.
    The worst white out I have driven in was in Tehachapi. When going to work in the winter would go over the mountain and the road was closed when the 4x4s were stuck at the top of the pass. When the LA crowd began moving in they started closing the back way as soon as the weather report said snow. Have seen the road closed when the pavement was dry and of course a $500.00 fine if you went around the barricade.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Pot and snow don't mix... 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    rberglof said:
    Contrary to popular belief california can get snow, grew up in Lancaster and lived in Tehachapi for almost 30 years. As a kid every time it snowed my dad would go out looking for the deepest snow, seen up to 2 feet of the white stuff there. He was born and raised in Minnesota.
    The worst white out I have driven in was in Tehachapi. When going to work in the winter would go over the mountain and the road was closed when the 4x4s were stuck at the top of the pass. When the LA crowd began moving in they started closing the back way as soon as the weather report said snow. Have seen the road closed when the pavement was dry and of course a $500.00 fine if you went around the barricade.
    It can really snow in the Tehachapis - we often went to Death Valley for Christmas, but had to keep an eagle eye on things Tehachapi way. Had to cancel out a few times - and my parents got stuck in Tehachapi one time for a few days - couldn't go out in either direction.