Home Main Category General Firearms

Tried to Sell a Rifle At A Gun Show

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
Major show in St. Charles Missouri. Walked around with a lovely, pristine Uberti "Iron Frame" Henry for 2 hours. Had dozens of guys ask me "What kind of gun is that?" 

Felt like I was on Mars! Only 2 men knew what it was! In Missouri no less.

What happened to real men? 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Probably the only westerns they have ever seen were the ones that used 1873 Winchesters and Colt SAA's for their Civil War era movies.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Man, too bad such low interest in that rifle. I'm sure you will sell it. What caliber is it?

You thought about consignment at an LGS or posting it on one of the auction sites online?

Maybe find a club that does CASS shootin and try and sell it there.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    We were all here sitting around bitching about snowflakes...
    Well, some members are getting snow................ :D
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    There are no local gun stores that I've found that do consignment. I've identified a couple of local SASS clubs that I'm going to check with. There is a Gun seller's web site that will sell by state as well. I have options. I was just lamenting the fact that so few people could recognize the classic Henry.... 

There was an original brass framed one that was missing the rear sight and had a $39,000 price tag. So when people asked me what I wanted, I said, $38,100 less than the one on the other table...

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Since Hollywood passes off side loaders for Henry's in the movies, only history fans know whats up.
    That's what I'm trying, but can't seem to get the "Confirmation" email they are supposed to send when you first register... 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    Isn't A 44-40 by any chance?

Sako
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    A sad comentary for sure. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    sakodude said:

Sako
    Yup... 
    sakodude said:

Sako
    Yup... 
    so there is hope for humanity! That rifle wouldn’t last out here.
    The .44-40 killed a crap load of elk in its time.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Seemed to have missed this thread. I LOVE Henry rifles, and the iron frames with color case Uberti are making are beauties! Surprised that you had so few know what they were looking at, though. I've never seen a Uberti Henry in a gun shop, and that's probably a good thing. I'd not be able to leave it on the shelf!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    They are pretty... 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Oh, yeah! That one is NICE! Like they said way back when, "Load it on Sunday and shoot all week!"
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Beautiful rifle!! I wish they would make one in 44 special 
    So do I. .44-40 can be a chore... 

I loaded 44-40 for a while when I had a Vaquero chambered in 44wcf.  I could hit a barn with it, if I was in the barn and less than 12 feet from a wall.  It was a problem of mismatched bore and cylinder  diameters. A 44 special would closer replicate the 44 Henry Rimfire. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    Saw an original Henry in a shop in Wisconsin last summer! Only $30,000! For a wall hanger!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,854 Senior Member
    One thing to remember, most of my student's have no idea what Gilligan's Island is.  They are watching movies with Glocks, HK's, AR's and such.

Beautiful rifles.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Elk creek said:

I loaded 44-40 for a while when I had a Vaquero chambered in 44wcf.  I could hit a barn with it, if I was in the barn and less than 12 feet from a wall.  It was a problem of mismatched bore and cylinder  diameters. A 44 special would closer replicate the 44 Henry Rimfire. 
    The bullet size for the .44-40 is not the same as .429 for typical .44 caliber guns. 
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    bellcat said:
    One thing to remember, most of my student's have no idea what Gilligan's Island is.  They are watching movies with Glocks, HK's, AR's and such.

Beautiful rifles.
    A few years ago, I made a joke about backward place => Hooverville.  My analyst thought I was joking about Bewbs in the office.