Home Main Category Hunting

Meat deer

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #32
    I wonder could you pressure cook those roasts? I bet they'd be excellent. It would make them fall apart tender and if he's just old he'll still have a good flavor.

Down here in southern Texas we don't have that many days where it stays below 50 all day so we just quarter 'em out and put 'em on ice in a big ice chest. After about a week of adding ice every couple days and draining off bloody water
    (I don't own a Yetti Cooler YET) the meat will age out real nice.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Weatherby said:
    Zee said:
    Wow!  A 3-10x on a shotgun!!  😁

Ambitious. 
    It works and has been a killer combo for at least a decade.

And well I am.odd
    No you're not odd, you're a gun guy and a hunter and we're all a little weird.
    I think we get eccentric from getting up so early on cold mornings, it does something to our minds, LOL !
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    I can't tell the size from the picture but if that deer is genetically inferior in the rack department and not just a young deer, he might be older than you think. That might be why he's tough. I've had some true spikes that were old enough to vote and tougher than a leather boot. Check his teeth.
    Distinct possibility...I once shot a spike that had antler bases the size of silver dollars and 4" spikes...he also had one eye and no teeth....it was kind of a mercy killing...even he hamburger was tough...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    We also use the term "meat deer" to describe does and non-trophy class animals....no insult, they were shot for the meat soooo....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    He was a year and a half old deer so "should" have had tender backstraps.  Been out more but all I see are does and skippers.
    I think they like me. They like to come in and lay down looking at me anyway. Never seem to want to bring their boyfriends though.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    To me, all deer are meat deer.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Jayhawker said:
    snake284 said:
    I can't tell the size from the picture but if that deer is genetically inferior in the rack department and not just a young deer, he might be older than you think. That might be why he's tough. I've had some true spikes that were old enough to vote and tougher than a leather boot. Check his teeth.
    Distinct possibility...I once shot a spike that had antler bases the size of silver dollars and 4" spikes...he also had one eye and no teeth....it was kind of a mercy killing...even he hamburger was tough...
    Yup, that deer be OLD!