Home Main Category General Firearms

Sticky AR-10 Bolt

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,856 Senior Member
edited November 2018 in General Firearms #1
So I took my boy's AR-10 to the range on Saturday and my BIL and I put about 60-70 rds through it.   We quit when the bolt got stuck shut!   I came home and tapped it open with a 2x4 and mallet, and thoroughly cleaned the rifle.   I didn't have to tap it very hard to get it to move.

The problem is, the bolt continues to stay stuck and incredibly hard to cycle.  Does it need more oil?    Any help would be appreciated as I am certainly not an AR whisperer.   It is a DPMS purchased in 2008.

Thnx
Mark
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #2
    By thoroughly cleaned, I'm assuming that means disassembling the bolt carrier group and cleaning it as well as a thorough cleaning of the barrel extension where the bolt locks into place. I'd make sure the bolt is able to travel it's full range of motion in the carrier without hanging up anywhere.  Make sure the gas rings and inside of the carrier are clean and that the BCG is lubed well.  Also check the locking lugs on the bolt for damage.  Sounds like it might have a piece of debris or fowling built up somewhere that's causing it to not want to unlock and let the bolt start to rotate out of the barrel extension or there could be a burr or chip in the locking lugs or inside the barrel extension.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    If all of that checks out good and it's still sticking, check the fit of the gas tube to the gas key and make sure there's no damage to the end of the gas tube and that it's not built up with crud.  Could be that the gas tube is sticking inside the gas key as well.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,740 Senior Member
    The cotter pin that holds the firing pin may be on the wrong side of the bolt carrier.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    All the above is true....they also like to be run wet...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"