Home Main Category General Firearms

Another VX-3i

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,394 Senior Member
edited November 2018 in General Firearms #1
I thought I was through buying scopes for awhile but I got my Midway USA Flyer in the Mail yesterday and today after lunch I finally got around to looking through it and there I saw they had VX-3is on sale. A 3.5-10x40 on sale for $319 and change. Cheap enough. I tried, I really did, to put it out of my mind and be happy with what I have, but the price finally got to me. I couldn't turn it down. I've paid more money for lesser scopes. And when I went to the safe and grabbed my Weatherby Mark V that i put the last VX-3i I bought on and looked through it, that was the final straw. All will power disappeared. I also have another one that I paid for on back order with my LGS, but it's a used older model VX-3 2.5-10x40. So now I'll have VX-3s and my one VX-2 on all my frequently used rifles. Does this make me a scope snob?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    Natchez had them for 280$ with an email coupon earlier this week, and free shipping, could not quite pull the trigger.... 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Stop talking about scopes it is an area I am a slacker.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    Good hustle!   Never wrong with a Leupold.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Great find.  Have to grab them when you find a good price
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #6
    True and I have been picking them up when I see a deal. But I'm going to stop for now. I have one more VX-3 that I hope to pick up next week but after that I'm going to stop until I get my gun fund built back up again. But that will make four VX-3s I have.

I havent discussed this with Leupold Customer Service yet but I'm pretty sure the VX-3 is top of the line with Leupold as far as optics quality. I don't know where the big bucks come in for some of the other upscale scopes they make, such as the VX-6. Some of these scopes cost well over $1,000. What makes them so much more expensive than the VX-3?

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Compare on Leupold's website the features of the scopes you are curious about, and you will discover the reasons for the higher prices of the upper lines.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    That's a killer deal, for sure.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    Someone is slowly admitting the error of their ways in regards to mindless devotion to the Nikon Pro Staff line...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Someone is slowly admitting the error of their ways in regards to mindless devotion to the Nikon Pro Staff line...
    Now THAT'S funny
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    edited December 2018 #11
    I've had a VX-3 for years. It's a great scope, but for $900 it was a bit rich for my blood being retired living on a fixed income. What I've always said is with the kind of hunting I do it's not really needed and I've done real well with Nikons of all persuasions and also entry level Leupolds. VX-1s are plenty clear for 100-300 yard shooting in open country. But I do appreciate quality. I will concede that higher quality optics are very bright and clear. I'm discovering just how good they are. I can kill all the deer in this county with my old scopes but for some of my special guns i do appreciate the finer glass. I'm not planing on throwing my old scopes in the dumpster just yet, but I admit that other than a couple of Zeiss and a Schmitt Und Bender, the VX-3i is one of the brightest and clearest I've seen.
    Now THAT'S funny
    I do have to admit that SS3 is kinda right. Even though I had one VX-3 I never fully appreciated it. Now I do admit they are one clear, bright scope.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    They’re like chips, can’t stop at one. Nice grab, again!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    timc said:
    Yeah it was on back order because I wanted a Duplex reticle. They musta got one in today because it shipped this afternoon. I'm pumped. This one's going on the .243 Model 700 ADL Synthetic.
    I got an email yesterday saying my back ordered scope shipped yesterday and it should be here Monday at the latest. It will be put on the .243 Remington 700 ADL Synthetic immediately. Then I have one more VX-3, the older model 2.5-10x40 I ordered from my LGS. That will go on my 7x57.
    timc said:
    I know what you mean, but man that's some expensive chips, LOL!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #17
    Damn you Snake.  First I bought a rifle, then I bought a new scope for it.

Thanks for the tip.
    edited December 2018 #18
    • Well you couldn't have gone wrong doing that. Yeah to hunt in normal conditions, like conditions you encounter 90% of the time, you don't need this much quality. For a couple of months I had a $60 Simmons 4-12x40 on my .270 Win, and actually killed deer with it. But I came to my senses and put that one on a .22 LR and put a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 on the .270. Now I have a VX-2 on that .270. For most of my hunting a VX-1 is good to go, but I've gotten to be a scope snob lately.
    I walked out the front door at 5 pm to check my mail box and lo and behold there was a package by the door from Midway. The scope arrived. I immediately put it on the .243. So sweet. 2 down and one more to go.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    I walked out the front door at 5 pm to check my mail box and lo and behold there was a package by the door from Midway. The scope arrived. I immediately put it on the .243. So sweet. 2 down and one more to go.
    Nice. Mine is going to go on my Kimber in .243.  

Although I think a pretty much any Gold Ring Leupold scope is good enough to kill a deer, I have systematically upgraded my scopes in the past ten years.  My eyes aren’t getting any better.

Leupold, imho, makes really good scopes at every price point.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    2-10 on the 7x57 should fit nicely.  Im debating between the 2-7 or 3-9 Zeiss on mine.  Probably the 3-9 and the 2-7 will rise on top of the 9.3. German glass for german guns!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    snake284 said:
    Nice. Mine is going to go on my Kimber in .243.  

Although I think a pretty much any Gold Ring Leupold scope is good enough to kill a deer, I have systematically upgraded my scopes in the past ten years.  My eyes aren’t getting any better.

Leupold, imho, makes really good scopes at every price point.
    That's kinda my feeling Uncle Fester. I don't think you can go wrong with any Leupold, VX-Whatever, my eyes aren't getting any better either. If a VX-2 or VX-3 will give me improvement I'll do it.