Home Main Category General Firearms

6.5 PRC

WORLD TWORLD T MemberPosts: 262 Member
How many of you guys and gals are shooting the 6.5 PRC now? I have several 6.5 Creedmoor rifles and was interested in the 6.5 PRC. I wonder if that caliber is going to be as big as the Creedmoor is in popularity? 

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,494 Senior Member
    It won't be as big of a seller as the Creed.
    Performance is about the same as the 6.5 SAUM/Gap
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,011 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #3
    If I didn’t already have several .260 Remingtons and a lifetime supply of .308 Win brass to neck down, I’d be interested. 

Otherwise. Nope. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Slightly more velocity,  more recoil,  more money, shorter barrel life and they didn't SAAMI spec it super long line the 6.5 Creedmoor.  I don't think it'll be anywhere near as popular.  If you need more than the 6.5CM get a 6.5x284. If you need more than that,  you need a bigger caliber and cartridge.  
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I see it being about as common as the 6.5-06 in a few years once the newness wears off.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    I see it being about as common as the 6.5-06 in a few years once the newness wears off.

In my limited opinion, for just a plain hunting rifle I'll take a 6.5-06 over the Creed OR .260 any day.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Well these new Hornady projects aren't first intended as hunting rounds,  they just also happen to work. The 6/6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC were intended first as long distance guns. And really,  they did it right.  Yes everyone goes on and on about "what does it do that XXX doesn't?" Well for one,  they are SAAMI spec'd, fron the FACTORY,  the way people build CUSTOM rifles. Yes the 243 is great and the performance is nearly the same as the 6mm CM. But SAAMI spec is 1:10 twist and 2.7- something OAL. The 260 was spec'd with  1:9 twist. The 300 Win and 300 Norma were spec'd at 3.4" vs the 300 PRC 3.7" 

But they screwed up, IMO,  making the 6.5 prc more towards a standard vs pure LR target.  
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    snake284 said:
    mitdr774 said:

In my limited opinion, for just a plain hunting rifle I'll take a 6.5-06 over the Creed OR .260 any day.

But after actually taking the time to read a couple of articles on it, I'm curious.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #9
    I'll just use a .270.....
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    Hang on.  Who was it that poo pooed  the 6.5-284 because it's a barrel burner?  The PRC is faster, with heavier bullets.  Seems that barrel life would be extremely short.  Like 700-800 rounds.
    Oh that's still a problem.  I just think they shot themselves in the foot,  marketing to the long distance fan base,  by not following the 6.5CM path. They kept it very short,  with the bullet stuck in pretty deep
    One of the articles I read gave a couple reasons why it won't be the barrel burner the .264 Win Mag was. I don't see what would make it any different than the .264. It's almost as fast. But they claim barrel life will be twice that of the .264. Hocus Pocus I guess.
    edited December 2018 #13
    jbohio said:
    Hang on.  Who was it that poo pooed  the 6.5-284 because it's a barrel burner?  The PRC is faster, with heavier bullets.  Seems that barrel life would be extremely short.  Like 700-800 rounds.
    The only one I've ever heard that was explicitly a bar
    rel burner was the .264. But that was from 60 plus years back. Since then they use better steel and maybe chrome lined barrels. I don't see what would make the .264 or any 6.5 any worse than a .257 Weatherby or a 7 mag for that matter. I have read too that some of the early .264 factory ammo was loaded up to max pressure and was pretty hot and the barrel steel was pretty mild.
    The various short mag cases and the Win mag cases contain about the same amount of powder
    Barrel burning really isn't the issue in my opinion, whether it be the 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 WSM, the PRC or the 264 Win Mag. 
    It is a hunting round, not a comp round.
    That is a lot of hunting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited December 2018 #16
    Barrel burning really isn't the issue in my opinion, whether it be the 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 WSM, the PRC or the 264 Win Mag. 
    Truth. 

I have plenty of 6.5s for hunting and I’ve not fried one barrel. 
    I'm sure the "barrel burning" comes from comp guys, it gets written about and then hunters extrapolate that to their use. And even then the comp guys are saying its "burnt out" because their groups opened from .3" to .6". Funny part is a lot of the guys who think they are going to burn out their hunting barrels, maybe shot 10 shots a year at the range. 
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    With barrel burners, how much money do you spend on ammo to burn out that barrel?  Say it takes 3,000 rounds to burn out a barrel.  If your ammo is $0.50 to $1.00 per round, you've spent $1,500 to $3,000 in ammo costs to get there. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Anytime i am shooting a rifle that gets hot fast, I give it plenty of time to cool off after each string.  While I only have a couple that get hot fast, I try to not let any of them get too warm at the range.  I have yet to burn out a throat on any of my rifles.
    edited December 2018 #20
    My rule of thumb:

If it’s too hot to lay my Peter on the barrel..........it’s too hot. Let it cool. 
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    My rule of thumb:

If it’s too hot to lay my Peter on the barrel..........it’s too hot. Let it cool. 

I'd never get a shot off on a summer day.
    .. :D
    Ha!  Imagine shooting in south Texas!!!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    I agree.  
    They're not varmint rifles.  
    Spk said:
    I'll just use a .270.....
    I do already.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Slightly more velocity,  more recoil,  more money, shorter barrel life and they didn't SAAMI spec it super long line the 6.5 Creedmoor.  I don't think it'll be anywhere near as popular.  If you need more than the 6.5CM get a 6.5x284. If you need more than that,  you need a bigger caliber and cartridge.   6.5/06?

6.5/06 and the 6.5-284 will have almost the same capacity.  You'd need a 3.6" magazine to load bullets out long like you can with the 6.5-284 in a 3.4" magazine
    6.5/06 and the 6.5-284 will have almost the same capacity.  You'd need a 3.6" magazine to load bullets out long like you can with the 6.5-284 in a 3.4" magazine
    IF, it is throated long, you can run it as a single shot, and still use a short action.
    My 6.5-06 out runs my 6.5-284's by about 100 fps (barrels of the same length).
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    IF, it is throated long, you can run it as a single shot, and still use a short action.
    My 6.5-06 outruns my 6.5-284s by 200-300 fps depending on the gun and bullet. 
    IF, you want to run it as a single shot. You guys forget the magazine fed market is much larger
    Zee said:
    My 6.5-06 outruns my 6.5-284s by 200-300 fps depending on the gun and bullet. 
    Correction: 2885 with my 6.5-06 and 2700-2750 with my 6.5-284's.
    Should have checked my data...Memory is the first to go...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I am getting 3,050 - 3,150 fps from my 6.5-06 depending on the load.