Home Main Category General Firearms

Open top range report.....kinda

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 6,450 Senior Member
edited November 2018 in General Firearms #1
This morning I loaded 50 rounds to go shoot the new 44 special. I used 6 grains of Unique with a 240gr Speer swedged bullet. The load was pleasant enough to shoot. And seemed to print high. The front sight was a bit short. About 30 rounds in I cocked it for another shot and there was no front sight! Gone! I spent about 20 minuets  looking for it but no dice. This is what it looked like before the sight said adios. 
Thats 5 rounds at 25 yards. Not too bad I can play with it to see if it gets better. 

So, being a bit pissed about loosing the front sight I call Uberti at the range. I spoke with a a guy that was NO HELP! He told me since it was a used gun and that is didn’t have an importer stamp he couldn’t do anything. And have me the number of a “repair center for uberti.” That just rubbed salt in the open gash! I took the pistolmto my gunsmith and he said he could order one but suggested I make one since it shot high anyway. So remember my dads advice, “find solutions not problems. I got busy not pissed! I spent the rest of the day making a front sight and sweating it on. After 3 tries and an ample amount of Tennmikes “sailors handbook of magic words” I have a new front sight. It’s not perfect but it’s there. 

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    The gun came apart but the shooter didn't! Nice work.👍

Maybe a slower speed and a faster powder for that one. Hornady swaged lead might be a good fit too.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Well, that worked out well on getting the new higher sight installed. That customer service sucked, though. Nice job on the sight! Hope it starts printing where you're aiming!

Watch for rust at the muzzle inside the bore after applying heat in that area. I'd highly recommend some good sticky grease to keep it coated for a while to prevent that. And some good gun lube around sight and barrel where heat was applied. You probably already know that, but just throwing that out there for anyone that hasn't done that job before.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Thanks Mike! What looks like scaling at the muzzle in one picture is where the guy before me left it a cheap leather holster and the blueing is spotty. I cleaned it all of and it is coated in a light coat of RIG. 😉
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #5
    IME, with fixed sights on a revolver, slightly faster will lower your POI, if your new from sight doesn't

SUX that it needed repairing after its first range trip :rage:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    IME, with fixed sights on a revolver, slightly faster will lower your POI, if your new from sight doesn't

SUX that it needed repairing after its first range trip :rage:
    Agreed! Look at the picture without the sight. The soldering was a crap job out of the factory. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    :rage::rage::rage:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Good job with the repair.  Shoots great and we got to play with metal, files and fire!  Good day in my book!!!
    Indeed! Thanks Wambli!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,891 Senior Member
    Missed opportunity, an 1872 dated dime shaped and soldered in place would have given an air of antiquitie.
    way to roll with misfortune though, the new sight looks good!

sako
    sakodude said:
    Missed opportunity, an 1872 dated dime shaped and soldered in place would have given an air of antiquitie.
    way to roll with misfortune though, the new sight looks good!

sako
    Thanks sako! We will see how well I did soon😉
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    That is pretty neat you got that up and running again the same day, I know you thought you used too many sailor words, but that's not getting fixed at my house. Well done.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'm sure you will get it shootin like you want. I imagine the lowest loads you can make will work best in them open tops not having the strength of those with a top strap. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    Had a similar thing happen to my FIE 1873 replica. The ejector rod and housing flew off at the range. Solder did not hold, so I used JB Weld to hold it back in place.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Thanks Mike! What looks like scaling at the muzzle in one picture is where the guy before me left it a cheap leather holster and the blueing is spotty. I cleaned it all of and it is coated in a light coat of RIG. 😉

There ya go! That will head that rust off right well!

Like I said, I figured you knew that already, but thought it would be a good idea to pass that info along in case anyone did it for the first time. Rusty bore surprises are NOT good surprises! :#
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams