So I was just sitting here minding my own business... (new puppy)

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 15,053 Senior Member
...and JBohio texts me the following photo...
imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
"Nice puppy", I say. The Mrs. has been beating around the bush for another Lab while I have been resisting. Trying to thwart JB's enabling, I inquire, "I suppose they don't have any more chocolates. We really want a chocolate Lab if we were to get another one." JB replies, "They are ALL chocolates!"
key119.jpg
JB continues, "They are AKC and only $300. Both parents and the grandparents are good and healthy with no hip displasia."
"Jackass!" I exclaimed.
So yesterday I make the seven hour round trip to Ashland, Ohio to go see the puppies. Once we get there, we note that the mother is a great dog with an excellent disposition and typical Labrador Retriever ball/play/fetch instincts. While all were great puppies we were going over the litter looking for "the sign" where one rises above the rest. The sign this time happened to be that this little turd factory picked my wife...
IMG_5188.jpg
I was kind of looking for a Snidley Whiplash to pair up with our Dudley Do Right, but this pup is more mellow, quite the mama's boy, and is more of a lover. We named him Hershey.
hhhhhhh.jpg

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,558 Senior Member
    Congrats on the pup. Last year's Christmas present to myself was a chocolate lab pup.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    JB-- You truly are a jackass. I hope you know that. My wife was claiming that the only reason I got a puppy was because you got one. I said no, she took me to the edge of the cliff while you snuck up from behind and kicked me over. Freaking jerks!
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Purty cute, well done.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    farm boy wrote: »
    Purty cute, well done.
    Yea, he seems to be a pretty good pup. He is still learning his way around the house... so much new stuff, new smells, new people, new animals. He will do great here (if my daughters would stop babying him and carrying him around all the time). Dudley (the adult yellow Lab) has been trying to get him to play all the time and I am sure they will be best of buddies in a few months. He also learned about cats today. He decided that it was a bad idea to bite the tail of the one cat we have that has claws. He has done pretty well with the bathroom thing as well. I think he will be a fast learner.
    cpj wrote: »
    I got that same pic, just never got around to asking what it was about.
    That was JB showing off his new pup named Remy... That, and doing a bit of enabling.

I got some waterfowl and upland game bird scent. I need to start getting some of that scent on his toys to plant that seed real early. He looks like he will be a bit calmer and patient than his older brother and might make a damn fine hunting dog.
  • NyGunownerNyGunowner Banned Posts: 328 Member
    IF I ever get another dog, it'll be a chocolate lab. The pups are cute!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    Looks like a keeper, hope you did not buy any new furniture or carpeting or shoes lately:tooth:. That should keep Dudley going a few extra years:up:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    Nice looking pup. If I lived closer, maybe I'd get one.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    Cute dog
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Good for you. Nice looking pup. My family keeps hitting me up for a puppy. Ain't gonna happen. My dog days are over.
    Your kids are getting to be that age where they can clean up all the puppy mess. Now if I can get the wife and the girls to leave this one alone-- I am starting to fear that all that estrogen is going to rub off on him.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Nice, Congrats on the new pup. I hope he does turn out to be a good retriever...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Congrats on a great looking new pup... and hopefully you have enough things for him to chew, and chew, and chew.... ;)

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I know better.
    Well, tell them that I did try.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    JB-- You truly are a jackass. I hope you know that. My wife was claiming that the only reason I got a puppy was because you got one. I said no, she took me to the edge of the cliff while you snuck up from behind and kicked me over. Freaking jerks!

HA! :roll2::roll2::roll2:

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't make it up there to see you guys. Stupid work.
    I'm glad you like him, I knew you'd pick that one. Remy is turning out to be quite energetic, and an alpha dog. You know it's bad when a 7 week old pup has your 1 1/2 year old maniac German Shorthair looking for higher ground so he can get away.
    He is starting to loosen up a bit. I don't think he is going to be the hell raiser that your pup is though. He got some vanilla ice cream with the rest of the family a bit ago and is currently nibbling on a tiny rawhide bone. So far, he will have a burst of energy for about 5 minutes, pee, poop, then crash for an hour or so... then repeat that routine over and over.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    Lab,s are good people, I'm on my second one, she's a 12 year old yellow. Actually, I like all dogs, even pit bulls can become
    loving members of the family if raised properly. One of our most joyful experiences was breeding our first lab 20 yrs ago.
    Coming home after work to 13 yellow puppies was a joyful experience for sure.You can determine a lot about people by their
    pets and how the interact and treat them (at least I do). Dogs are a gift to mankind, ENJOY!!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Good looking pup. Most of the great dogs I have known were Labs, and the chocolates are definitely the best looking.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Cute pup! Lots of potential there....also looks to be about the right size for your big dog to use as a retrieving dummy....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    Puppies have one major flaw. You blink and 'poof' they're now a dog! Same goes for kittens/cats.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,119 Senior Member
    OMG! Youse guys are killing me! Any chance of a more recent pic? And are any of his retriever instincts starting to show? Oh, this is frustrating!
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
    Good for you. Nice looking pup. My family keeps hitting me up for a puppy. Ain't gonna happen. My dog days are over.

Wait a minute! Are you telling me that you're going to deny a dog to your lovely children? Where do you find the strength and the firmness to do that? You're one resolute dude. PS: Think "Labrador" for when you finally cave.

Nicole and Nathan, are you reading this? Time to get crackin', y'all! You know full well there's a Lab pup out there somewhere with your name on it. Maybe even a chocolate one this time!
  • CZBCZB New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    He is starting to loosen up a bit. I don't think he is going to be the hell raiser that your pup is though. He got some vanilla ice cream with the rest of the family a bit ago and is currently nibbling on a tiny rawhide bone. So far, he will have a burst of energy for about 5 minutes, pee, poop, then crash for an hour or so... then repeat that routine over and over.

Good looking pup! I envy you, though. Our GSP's have always been the opposite, about 5 minutes of quiet time, pee, poop, then go freakin crazy for a few hours!

Enjoy!
    He has livened up a bit since then. He is currently going head to head with my adult Lab in an epic growling/snarling/wrestling match. He goes from sweet little puppy to miniature demon canine at the drop of a hat. It is funny as heck!
    He has livened up a bit since then. He is currently going head to head with my adult Lab in an epic growling/snarling/wrestling match. He goes from sweet little puppy to miniature demon canine at the drop of a hat. It is funny as heck!

That sounds really familiar! You hear a little yip, then about 10 seconds of silence, then hear the puppy going full on wombat?
    Here's a rare moment of quiet time.
    dogsedit.jpg
  • CZBCZB New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Here's a rare moment of quiet time.
    dogsedit.jpg

Gorgeous dogs! Your GSP is almost a dead ringer for my Scout, a 65lb male. I know they have fun together !
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 659 Senior Member
    That shot is a winner for sure! What a little cutie!