Home Main Category Hunting

Guns you've not killed with

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,975 Senior Member
Jerry's post got me thinking.

What guns have you taken hunting,  but have not yet bagged an animal with yet?

Currently for me:
Win M70 375 H&H
Win M70 25-06
1903 30-06

And honorable mention:
M70 CRF 25-06 I took out last year and missed a goat with.  That is the gun being shipped back soon as a 400 Whelen. 

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #2
    Grandpas model 70, and my new Ruger SBH. 

Toted my SKS a time or two without pulling the trigger.

Edit.
    I have two shotguns Ive hunted with and never took game.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    So far only one rifle has gone out and not been used, and thats the little .458.  Everything else that has gone out has at least one to show for it.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #4
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    The current list on one of my safes. 

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    .338 Federal, .340 Wthby, .223 Rem, .44 mag, .357 mag, .22 mag, 10MM, 9mm, .40, .45 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    You ever get that Kimber to shoot?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Hunted with my CZ 550 for 3-4 years and didn't score.  Switched to a stainless/synthetic 700 and have been a lot happier not laying awake worrying about warping and rust.

Last two years have been primarily with the Ruger Scout - nothing yet there.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    The hunting opportunities that fit my energy level (and budget) have dissipated over the last few years, so almost everything but my old stand-by Model 70, in .30-06, have never drawn blood. At this point, I would be pleased to have a guaranteed squirrel hunting place, where I could, at least, slink around in the woods with a .22 rifle.

I anticipated that, to a certain degree, and limited my new rifle purchases to the AR platform, which gives me some target rifles that are a hoot to shoot, even if just at tin cans or paper..
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

2 .308s.  One is a Winchester Model 88 rifle (the first one of my current collection), and the other a M88 carbine.

A 1917 Enfield 30-06 WWI battle rifle that was given to me by a friend.  It has been sporterized and rebarrelled.  I don't think I've even shot it.  The friend who gave it to me is a Korean War vet, and pushing 90.  He claims his father used this very rifle in WWI, and was allowed to keep it after the war.  I don't know if that was done back then, but my friend believes it.

My dad's Savage 110 30-06.  He took about 20 deer and an elk with it, so I know it's been well used.  I plan to give it to my son when I get the chance, and may never take it out myself.  My dad got it for Christmas in 1961.  It's the only centerfire rifle he ever owned that I know of. 

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    You ever get that Kimber to shoot?
    It shoots 185's Ok and the 200 gr Fusions are minute of deer at 100 yds, kind of defeats the purpose of having a .338 in my mind, to not use big bullets, I need to get back to it, I bought some powders based on Zee's successful loads and have to find time to give them a try. I am going to get son #3 a lefty shotgun here sooner than later and the LGS is a well known local gunsmith, I am going to have him look at it, he had a couple ideas about how the stock is seated.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    The only guns that I have right now that have never taken any game are,
    M-1 Garand 30-06 & 308
    SKS new never fired, took on a trade in the 80s
    NIB Win. M-94 AE limited edition 30-30
    NIB Win. Super X M-1 12 ga
    NIB Nikko Golden Eagle M-7000 7mm Rem. Mag. 
    Rem. XP-100 7x57 AI
    Mexican small ring Mauser 7x57 AI
    Win. M-70 280 AI -- not sure , might have taken 1 deer

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,036 Senior Member
    Marlin 336, 30-30 WCF

Accurate as heck, just never in the right place at right time with it.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    bellcat said:
    Marlin 336, 30-30 WCF

Accurate as heck, just never in the right place at right time with it.

Not to be nit picky but this here is a clip/magazine thing- I believe it's either called a
     30-30 or a 30WCF- either way you need to baptize that lever gun

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I actually have a Marlin 336 in .30-30 Win that needs to get some blood on it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    700 BDL in 6mm Remington. It was Willed to me by a dear friend. Just never took it out yet. 
    700 BDL in 6mm Remington. It was Willed to me by a dear friend. Just never took it out yet. 
    6mm REM is possibly my favorite chambering of all. If you handload, long range P'dogs to mid-range elk are on the menu. If you don't handload....it sux. Not much commercially available. Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    List is shorter the other way around :D
    Ruger M77 30-06, mule deer and elk
    Winchester model 94 375 Win mule deer
    C.Sharps 1875 in 40-65 WCF, elk
    Borrowed custom 257 Roberts, pronghorn.

Sako 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Smith & Wesson 44 mag has not been blooded yet
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #19
    I've got a few that haven't been bloodied yet but it's not because they won't do it. I just never got around to using them. I've got several guns for Deer and that's what I mainly do. I have an 8x57 Mauser that hasn't killed a deer. It's killed a couple of hogs but no deer. Wait, no deer with me as trigger man. My grandson killed one and I've killed a couple of hogs with it, so it has blood on it. It's hard to keep up with this because there's too many people pulling my triggers. My present 223 has never killed a deer yet. My old Model 788 Remington .223 killed a couple or two, but this one not yet. Fe killed a couple of deer with the .243 Winchester. I haven't scored with it yet but I've not hunted with it much. I've got several loads worked up for it so we shall see.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Big game hunting is HARD down here; would like to take down game with any of my iron sighted milsurps, like the Garand or a Mauser.

Most is feather or small game hunting; my only shotgun adequate for such activity has seen its share of use in the field.

So far would like to blood the following: FN SA-22 (Open sights), Ruger 10/22TD (Red dot), Winchester 1906 and J.C. Higgins 31 (Scoped); others have already been used for hunting with usually good results, and hope next season I'll be able to at least try the SA-22 in the field since I find it the most challenging of the lot due to the sights and hunting conditions, although accuracy is excellent.
    Also got a S&W 35 that hasn't had the chance to show what's made of yet.....will try to solve that too, but the Single six and the MkIII have been keeping it stored so far.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    My Dad's 600 Remington 6mm Rem, blooded by him, but not by me yet
    6" Ruger SBH Hunter .44 magnum
    4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero .44 magnum
    5 1/2" Ruger SBH .45 Colt

I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    6mm REM is possibly my favorite chambering of all. If you handload, long range P'dogs to mid-range elk are on the menu. If you don't handload....it sux. Not much commercially available. Mike
    I'd like to get started with handloads but haven't had much experience. Handloading is something I'd really like to start doing eventually. 
    It's a horrible addiction that will lead to frustrating range days,  accepting nothing but sub-moa groups and an extremely lightened wallet and potentially angered mates. So .... when are you buying your press?
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    More than have.. but of course some just aren't hunting guns.

CZ 452 - 22 wmr
    Marlin .35 Remington
    Ruger GP-100 6 inch .357
    Marlin 7mm-08
    Remington 700 .308

"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I'd like to get started with handloads but haven't had much experience. Handloading is something I'd really like to start doing eventually. 
    It's a horrible addiction that will lead to frustrating range days,  accepting nothing but sub-moa groups and an extremely lightened wallet and potentially angered mates. So .... when are you buying your press?
    I have come to the conclusion that people get frustrated with handloading because they follow too many damn rules and play it too safe because some damn lawyer approved book told them to. 

Step outside the box and find a whole new world of free thought and science. The result will follow. 

It’s painful reading some of you pussyfoot your way around a reloading bench and taking a gawd awful amount of time and effort to find a load. 

There is a gas peddle. Step on it. 

😁
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Brother I worry some that you hit the throttle a bit fast.
    Be careful on those corners.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #27
    Zee said:

I have come to the conclusion that people get frustrated with handloading because they follow too many damn rules and play it too safe because some damn lawyer approved book told them to. 

Step outside the box and find a whole new world of free thought and science. The result will follow. 

It’s painful reading some of you pussyfoot your way around a reloading bench and taking a gawd awful amount of time and effort to find a load. 

😁
    My hand loading activity declined steeply when my first child arrived, and I began taking on side jobs to pay the bills. It finally came to a dead stop, and my fellow shooters started 'borrowing' my equipment. I 'loaned' my Rock Chucker to a BIL, along with some old Lee Loader powder scoops, and a Lyman balance scale.

My BIL wouldn't admit that he knew absolutely nothing about hand loading, so he didn't ask for help. I found out later how he developed his .357 magnum load.

It consisted of putting an unspecified amount of unspecified powder in a primed, un-sized case, pressing a lead bullet in to whatever cartridge length that 'looked right,' and stepping out on the porch to test-fire it. His first shot hit the dirt, halfway to the target, so he doubled the charge, repeatedly, until the bullets were piercing the paper, side-ways, and he had to beat the cases out of the cylinder with a screwdriver and a claw hammer. Then he reduced the powder, according to some 'logic' that I never did understand, until his groups were approximately equal to the factory load groups.

He was supremely proud of his accomplishment. I don't know what disaster occurred that made him abruptly end his adventures in reloading, but I don't think anybody died or lost body parts. I never got my stuff back.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #28
    Zee I'm not quite as crazy as you. I do try to stay close to the book. I'm a wimp and don't like near death experiences so once the dog bites I go home. That dog has bitten before and scared CaCa out of me. But I'm a hard case and I keep tempting fate sometimes.

But seriously, every load I've worked up I have done it meticulously until I saw something not good since that first time I took a leap of .5 grains of powder near the top of a load. I knew something was wrong when I saw a vapor trail all the way to target. I think I was WAY OFF The RESERVATION. The bolt stuck hard, and had to be beaten open. You couldn't see where the case head stopped and the primer started. All efforts at load work stopped right then on the spot. I took my toys and went home.

There's more to this story than I told here but it was getting long. Also there was the issue of ambient temperature. If you work a load up in cool weather, be cautious of shooting it on a warm day.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Zee said:

😁

Nobody's ever accused me of having a pretty face, but it's too pretty to have it all messed up due to a gun blowing up in my face.  I used to know a guy who considered the book max as a "good starting point".   We called him Lefty.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,986 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Scratch the CVA muzzle loader pistol  off the list....
    Deets?
    Its a good thing we got those when we did, CVA has stopped making them.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    It is really nothing but a short barreled CVA Optima. If they are servicing the rifles, the same parts work on the pistols. Member Squirrel doesn't post much, but I think that was the best enable ever! He sold a whole bunch of those CVA pistols!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine