Home Main Category General Firearms

What do you think of the 6.8mm, looks like the Army will switch to it

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I've seen a few articles about the new combat rifle. They will replace the 5.56 with the 6.8 in both the M4 carbines and SAW M249. 

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,203 Senior Member
    As a complete outsider to such things, it sure seems to me that there has been a lot of "wasted motion". First they went smaller, now they're edging in the direction of .30 caliber again with a .27-ish as they've found their engagement distances are longer than what was anticipated with the 5.56.
    Interesting. I assume the 6.8 is already a NATO round?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    No, the NATO round is well the 5.56 NATO.

Of course, a big selling point for 5.56 and 9mm was for NATO countries to have the same ammo where they could be resupplied by any with ammo compatibility.

Not sure that would/will be a very big problem anyhow.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Yea, I knew 5.56 was NATO - I just didn't know whether or not this 6.8 is, was, or will be as well.
    Waiting for somebody to note the similarity in size between the 6.8 and our beloved .270! :D

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    Just my thoughts if they change to 6.8 I'm sure we will see a lot of bullet development with "heavy for caliber" higher BC values, as it stands today we really dont have any long range 6.8 - 27 caliber bullets,, who knows maybe the 6.8 will become the caliber of choice for long range shooters. 

The question now is if they change are we all going to rush to re-barrel some rifles to the " newest and greatest of all times " ????

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    jaywapti said:
    Just my thoughts if they change to 6.8 I'm sure we will see a lot of bullet development with "heavy for caliber" higher BC values, as it stands today we really dont have any long range 6.8 - 27 caliber bullets,, who knows maybe the 6.8 will become the caliber of choice for long range shooters. 

The question now is if they change are we all going to rush to re-barrel some rifles to the " newest and greatest of all times " ????

JAY
    I doubt that, if the platform stays the  M16.  No room in the magazine 
    That's good for us, a new rifle will be developed just like the M-1 to M14 than we can all go out and buy another rifle, and everything we need to re-load for it. 

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,440 Senior Member
    Good news - we can’t be accused of owning “Military Style” ARs after this changeover.
    I think it is a good choice, a compromise between the 5.56 and .30 caliber. Looks to be manageable for all soldiers and gives them better range and more punch.

Yep, it appears to be a new platform designed around the 6.8, not the 5.56
    zorba said:
    Yea, I knew 5.56 was NATO - I just didn't know whether or not this 6.8 is, was, or will be as well.
    Waiting for somebody to note the similarity in size between the 6.8 and our beloved .270! :D
    Long actions are out.  Meet the .270-08!
    Oh Snake will surely have something to say.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,339 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Its already been noted.. anoher monicker for the 6.8 SPC is the ".270 Short"....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    A military rifle in .270? It must be because of that whole allowing women in combat thing.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jayhawker said:
    Its already been noted.. another moniker for the 6.8 SPC is the ".270 Short"....
    Saw that - maybe even .270 Kurz or .270 Corto!
    I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the new caliber, but these kinds of things interest me - looking forward to learning.

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    A military rifle in .270? It must be because of that whole allowing women in combat thing.
    They only want to wound enemy combatants, not kill them.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    We all know the .270 bounces off a gophers hide at 50 yards...  how will this help our military?  

But seriously, the 6.8 will provide additional punch and distance, but the idea behind the 5.56 was a weight savings over the .30.  Seems like a backwards move.  Why not a lighter .308?
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #16
    zorba said:
    same diameter bullet. The 6.8 uses .277 diameter projectiles as does the .270 Winchester and the .270 Weatherby Mag.

However, the AR 6.8 uses lighter bullets than are standard for its big brothers.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    What parent cartridge is the new, bestest ever 6.8 based on?  Or is it a fresh idea.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    Good news - we can’t be accused of owning “Military Style” ARs after this changeover.
    AR's will soon be on the MilSurp racks right next to 95 Mausers and Arisakas!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,618 Senior Member
    It will be interesting to see what they come up with
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I personally think it's a stupid move. A rifle round in 6.5mm would make more sense to me. With bullets of the same weight, the 6.5 will ALWAYS have higher BC than the same 6.8mm bullet, and that will translate to better accuracy and flatter trajectory with some decent load development. The 6.5mm bullet already has a track record on game AND humans, and is just a better choice, IMHO. And for civilian use, the 6.5mm has a huge selection of bullets compared to the poor ol' 6.8mm. Given the same case capacity dimensions the 6.5 will be faster than the 6.8 round, and with superior BC, be at the target with superior velocity.

And the .270 Win.  is still a .30-06 that was picked before it was ripe! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,335 Senior Member
    What parent cartridge is the new, bestest ever 6.8 based on?  Or is it a fresh idea.
    .30 Remington case - not necessarily the whole cartridge...

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #23
    tennmike said:
    I personally think it's a stupid move. A rifle round in 6.5mm would make more sense to me. With bullets of the same weight, the 6.5 will ALWAYS have higher BC than the same 6.8mm bullet, and that will translate to better accuracy and flatter trajectory with some decent load development. The 6.5mm bullet already has a track record on game AND humans, and is just a better choice, IMHO. And for civilian use, the 6.5mm has a huge selection of bullets compared to the poor ol' 6.8mm. Given the same case capacity dimensions the 6.5 will be faster than the 6.8 round, and with superior BC, be at the target with superior velocity.

And the .270 Win.  is still a .30-06 that was picked before it was ripe! :D
    There are certain fruit that are used in both their green and ripe state for different things. The Green Papaya for instance is used as a stock for thickning and flavor in certain soups. It and the mango are used in their green state shredded to make a salad called Asara. So the .270 may be green but it serves its assigned purpose well.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited December 2018 #24
    From what I have read they are not considering the 6.8 SPC  which is based on the old .30 Remington case but rather developing yet another cartridge with possibly a proprietary polymer case.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,684 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    From what I have read they are not considering the 6.8 SPC  which is based on the old .30 Remington case but rather developing yet another cartridge with possibly a proprietary polymer case.
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Let's see, the FN SCAR was going to replace the M4/M16 and a multitude of other "vapor ware"
    rumors have been all over the web for a few years.
    Is the M4/5.56 the "be all, end all"? No
    However with hundreds of thousands (millions??) of rifles and hundreds of millions (billions world wide???) rounds of ammo out there, I don't see any major changes in my lifetime.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

The concept of a new rifle is assinine.it not just the rifle, but the cost of millions upon millions of rounds of new ammo, magazines and related equipment. 
    The AR is modular enough to do pretty much anything they want to do with it without rewriting the book with a new weapons system.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    This has been "news" for about the last 8 years.
    mitdr774 said:
    They only want to wound enemy combatants, not kill them.
    Women are meaner than men. #fact
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,390 Senior Member
    Or maybe that wound the bad guy thing. Wound them and it takes 2 others to carry the wounded guy :smiley:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Or maybe that wound the bad guy thing. Wound them and it takes 2 others to carry the wounded guy :smiley:
    I have noted over my lifetime that there are some enemies we have fought that don't bother with their wounded if they are wounded so badly they won't survive. Just leave them lying where they fell to bleed out and die.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Another thing our taxes will increase over that we don’t need.