A pistol I never thought I'd own...

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,657 Senior Member
edited December 2018 in Personal Defense #1
but now do.
Heizer PS1 45C/2.5"410 (shown with my PM40 for comparison)
Acquired this from oldest step-son. Not a fan of a single shot for general SD, HOWEVER, there IS one use I have for it, and the only use I've carried it for.
Loaded with a 2.5" 410 loaded with #6 shot for snakes when working on my green fields.

With its solid metal grip, recoil isn't the most pleasant. But I'll take a "cloud" of #6 shot over a single projectile, or the minuscule amount of shot I can get in CCI shot shells for one of my CF pistols.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,071 Senior Member
    That thing can't be pleasant to shoot.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Should work for snakes. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    That thing can't be pleasant to shoot.
    Not as bad as I thought it would be, but I wouldn't want to shoot a round of skeet with it ;)

3 rounds of 410 ammo were all the "fun" I could stand.
    I have 45C dies and 200 Hornady 225gr RNFP because I had loaded some plinking ammo for him in the past. Not too mention a LEE 200gr RNFP mold (I use in 45ACP)
    So I am set for plinking ammo, and I suspect the 25rnd box of 410 ammo I bought will last a LONG time
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Zee said:
    Should work for snakes. 
    Should

I can get a 223 or 7.62x39 barrels for it too, though, for the life of me, I can't think of a reason WHY I would want either of them

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,231 Senior Member
    Could come in real handy one day. You never know.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    How much does that lil dude weigh?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Weighs 21oz per their website

• ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 343 Member
    A whole lotta ouch for the hand and wrist. Still, for what you want to use it for, you probably won't even notice it until later. This is what i said the Judge style revolvers were best suited for - snake guns.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    I have this little single shot .410 shotgun that was made in Ducktown, TN. Trigger pull is atrociously heavy, but it works. Recoil is minimal with 2 1/2" shotshells.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Zee said:
    Should work for snakes. 
    Should

What if you miss?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    back up, reload and try again

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,999 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Test the penetration of that load on some stout corrugated cardboard please, at acceptable snake distance of course. Also, scream like a girl and high step while trying to shoot at the same time, at least once, and film it.
    With his knees??!! :)
    Big Al1 said:
    #truth

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,719 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Test the penetration of that load on some stout corrugated cardboard please, at acceptable snake distance of course. Also, scream like a girl and high step while trying to shoot at the same time, at least once, and film it.
    I did ask him to film it :smile:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    Load some with black powder. You'll cloak yourself and the snake won't see you if you miss...
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    Load some with black powder. You'll cloak yourself and the snake won't see you if you miss...
    That would also give the snake a coughing fit if you missed. More time to reload!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.