Remington 870 Tac-14 Modifications

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,530 Senior Member
    Buck it will do the job with less felt recoil, in case you need a follow up or have more than one target.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,727 Senior Member
    I use federal 1oz slugs. In my 11/87p. Same as the 870. 

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    edited December 2018 #34
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    I fall into the Buckshot camp for 10 yards and in.
    Actually my HD shotgun has #4 Buck loaded and slugs in the side saddle.

Slugs on the side in case the distance gets longer, but the buckshot for the "upclose and personal" quick and dirty
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Out of curiosity, why?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,267 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    One of Jim Wilson's Texas Ranger stories relates a Ranger that defended his life from a suprise attack from a shotgun wielding assailant with a then new Remington model 8 rifle. In later years his advice to Jim Wilson was along the lines of son whatever you carry make sure its an autoloader.
    I tried to run an 11-87 years ago. It wouldn’t cycle reduced recoil loads. 
    edited December 2018 #39
    Zee said:
    Mine doesn’t run reduced recoil loads very well either, or the cheap 100 round packs for that matter. You load that with any standard or magnum buckshot or slug load and it’s a Swiss watch! I don’t try to make my unmodified 10-22 shoot 22 shorts. I just know what it likes. But it is good to slip one in my bag to deal with malfunctions. 
    Elk creek said:
    Zee said:
    Mine doesn’t run reduced recoil loads very well either, or the cheap 100 round packs for that matter. You load that with any standard or magnum buckshot or slug load and it’s a Swiss watch! I don’t try to make my unmodified 10-22 shoot 22 shorts. I just know what it likes. But it is good to slip one in my bag to deal with malfunctions. 
    Unfortunately, I run reduced recoil rounds. It’s.........what I have most. 
    I recently read an excerpted recollection of Ed Mireles' survial of the 1986 Miami FBI shoot out. He relates the ordeal of trying to manipulate a slide action gun well severely injured with blood covered hands. Of particular note was his frustration of watching his buckshot pellets being obsorbed and deflected by portions of the vehicle that contained his lethal antagonists. He now prefers slugs emphatically.
    edited December 2018 #42
    I’m with him on the slugs. 
    Zee said:
    Elk creek said:
    Zee said:
    Unfortunately, I run reduced recoil rounds. It’s.........what I have most. 
    Gotcha! My dad was the head of a PD’s shotgun program when they switched over to rifles. when the officers turned in their ammo and guns there was thousands of rounds turned in that had to be “disposed of”, well we are still in the process of disposing of it. 
    You could run a reduced weight recoil spring it wouldn’t cost too much to mock up. 
    I’d have to buy a semi-auto shotgun, first. 
    Zee said:
    I’d have to buy a semi-auto shotgun, first. 
    Well there you have it. Through a strange turn of events I ended up with one of the 11/87’s that the PD owned, one of 3. They issued them to female command staff to help with recoil. 
    You selling?
    edited December 2018 #48
    Zee said:
    Out of curiosity, why?
    Just what I've seen/dealt with working in EMS.
    Inside of 30' Buckshot makes multiple wound channels, while not as big as a slug's single channel, I figure it's better to "spread the love" over a wider area
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Plus. In my situation, I worry about over penetration of a 1oz slug

Zee said:
    You selling?
    Nope, sorry. Never. I tried like hell to get one of those guns from the PD but it “was against policy to sell PD Property.” The PD sold them to another PD for a gift price. That PD went to rifles too and surplused all the shotguns to a local FFL, that I happen to work at every so often. Well I picked up a 11/87p for $300
    Plus, if I want to use something that, for all intents and purposes, is a 12ga sabot slug, I have my 50 beowulf.
    Most 12ga sabot slug use 0.5" bullets, and are running 1800-1900fps, guess what the MV of my wulf loads are??? Yep, 1800-1900fps

I don’t use Sabot Slugs. 
    Zee said:
    I don’t use Sabot Slugs. 
    Well, you asked why I preferred buck, and I gave you my reasoning. You don't have to agree, nor am I going to try and change your mind on what YOU use :beer:

I didn’t expect you to. I was stating what I used. 

Chill out. 
    Quite chill, thanks for caring :kissing_heart:

I don’t. 

😎
    :'(

In fairness to Ed Mireles, I don't think he advocated anything being wrong with a slide action gun. Only that at that time no training was given in the operation of it one handed. Also in fairness to buckshot, the pellets he sent down range appeared to have kept his assailants busy enough to allow him to charge their position and end the fight with his service revolver in a close up and personal manor. I got the impression that his miraculous survival was more a result about he himself than the weapons used.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    So far my VEPR has cycled everything I have fed it, but I have not tried reduced recoil loads in it yet.  If I run across some I will try them and let you know.  The VEPR-12 can be had in a much smaller and lighter configuration than the monster I have.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    With the results you we able to produce, I think your choice has a solid foundation in reason.  For me, the distances inside are closer, so I use buckshot in the HD shotgun.  
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,784 Senior Member
    I saw an ad last night for the Aguila minishells in 00 and slugs. I wonder how those would shoot?