Home Main Category General Firearms

Deal or No Deal?

2»

Replies

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I’m sure date of manufacture is out there somewhere so I won’t address that but the quality of the wood (nice figure on your stock by the way!) the white spacers and the finish definitely say it’s a relatively early import.  Those were some of the absolute finest Howas ever brought into this country!  You ever get sick of that gun you call me first!!!

Dump the Weaver bases and get some nice one piece lightweight base/rings like the Talleys.  They are all over the place on eBay for about $35.  Also if you bed the recoil lug and first inch of the barrel I can just about guarantee you a .5 MOA gun.
    So, I guess I done good for $300?  :D
    LOL!  I already have a message in to Howa with the serial number to see if they can tell me if the safety upgrade has been performed already.  From reading the description of the problem it appears to be the possibility of the gun being fired with the bolt incorrectly assembled.  Looking at the bolt, I only see one way it can be assembled so it may have been upgraded already.  However, I have decided not to shoot it before hearing back from Howa.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I was researching the safety recall and found very little information....but I did find this on another forum:
    " Look for two milled flats on the bottom of the bolt sleeve. The faulty sleeves were ROUND instead of eccentric so the shroud would become displaced 90 degrees counter-clockwise. That puts the cocking piece stud facing right instead of down into the tang. The safety lever acts as a sear and the bolt was closed on a live round.....then the cocking piece slipped off the safety lever. Major damage to the right hand and arm but his eyes were shielded by the scope." 
    Based on this I pulled the bolt and started fiddling with it.  Darned if the shroud didn't spin 90 degrees counter-clockwise just as described above.....and now I can't get it to spin back.  Needless to say, I will not be firing this rifle until the bolt is either upgraded or replaced.
    And no, Wambli, I am not ready to sell it.  :D

edited January 2019 #36
    Ok, looks like I posted the above a little too quickly.  Upon further fiddling with the bolt it turns out what I had done was start the disassembly process to remove the firing pin.  After watching a quick video on YouTube I was able to complete the disassembly and successfully reassemble it.  So.....do I need to send the bolt in for an update?  Well, I just got off the phone with Sports World (the shop that is handling the repairs for Howa).  They ran the serial number and told me that the safety upgrade has already been performed on my rifle.  So, next is a trip to the range to make sure it goes bang when I pull the trigger.  Then I will have to decide on which scope to put on it.  Due to budget constraints it will likely be an inexpensive scope for now just so that I can use it.  That should help me figure out what I want to put on it long term and start saving for it.
    At the moment I am leaning towards this scope as a start:
    Thoughts anybody?  A high end scope is not in the budget right now and since at least at first the rifle is going to be a range toy a high end scope is hard to justify.......things could change later though....

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,658 Senior Member
    Ought to work. I like Nikon scopes
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

That'll work just fine.  I'll even give you a few extra dollars for it when you send it to my house  ;)
    Well, let's see........the only rifle like it I found for sale on the Interweb had an asking price more than double what I paid for this one, add in the fact that I am not looking to sell it......Ok Wambli, you talked me into it.  For a mere $3,000 it is yours.  :D:D:D
    knitepoet said:
    Ought to work. I like Nikon scopes
    I figured a Nikon would be pretty good for the price.  Also, since it is a Japanese rifle I thought a Japanese scope would be appropriate.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wow, you worked a decent deal into a very good one!  Nice job and great score.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    VX3 1.75-6x36.  From bad breath distance to out as far as you’d care to shoot at game this scope will do it all. 

That is the scope that I need for my Remington 660 carbine in .243.  Right now it has a Leupold VXII 3x9, and it's just too big for the rifle.

Was able to take it to the range today for a function test.  It most definitely goes "bang" when I pull the trigger.  Interesting shooting one with neither scope or iron sights.....on my 3rd shot I was able to hit a milk jug at 50 yards.  I think I am going to name it "Moose" because it certainly kicks like one.   :D  Yep, that rifle is going to get a recoil pad.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #45
    At the moment I am leaning towards this scope as a start:
    Thoughts anybody?  A high end scope is not in the budget right now and since at least at first the rifle is going to be a range toy a high end scope is hard to justify.......things could change later though....

For the money you can't beat it with a stick. I've got 4 Nikons and they work. My first Nikon was a Prostaff 3-9x40. It's still on my .30-06 700 SPS Synthetic which I put it on when I bought both brand new in 2007. Like I say, it works.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited January 2019 #46
    I wasn't able to grab that one before the sale ended, but I plan to go pick this one up today from the local Academy Sports:
    The question now is, medium or low rings?

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,332 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #47
    Generally speaking, mount as close to the barrel as possible if you're interested in accuracy.

Or, bubba it up and slap some extra high see through rings on it....:)
    Some quick research on the Nikon website got me an answer:
    "Medium rings fit most 1-inch tube riflescopes with 36-42mm objectives"
    "Low rings fit most 1-inch tube riflescopes with 20-36mm objectives"
    Since the scope I am getting has a 40mm objective, medium rings it is.

My Howa is now wearing a Nikon Buckmasters II 4-12x40 BDC and a Limbsaver Airtech recoil pad.
    A trip to the range is scheduled for tomorrow to get it sighted in and see how well it shoots.  I sighted it in with a laser bore sight at across the back yard distance, so hopefully that will get me on paper on the first shot at 25 yards.  Then I can extend the range.
    Took it to the range today.  Started out at 25 yards and finished up 50 rounds later at 300.  I would say it is more accurate than I am at the moment and I have determined that I need a more powerful spotting scope.  At 100 and 200 yards the spotting scope was useless and I had to use the rifle scope for spotting my shots.  At 300 yards I did not know where I was hitting until I collected the targets.  Turns out I was not holding far enough over at 300 yards.  I really like the Limbsaver Airtech recoil pad.  After sending 50 rounds of .30-06 downrange my shoulder is much less sore than it was a couple of weeks ago after shooting just 8 rounds with the original hard plastic butt plate.