Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun safe help

MichakavMichakav Senior MemberPosts: 2,824 Senior Member
edited December 2018 in General Firearms #1
Been looking for a decent safe for a while now. Right now my firearms/ammo are in a locked closet that I am very uncomfortable with. Why I focused on adding more firearms instead of a safe I don't know. But it is past time to get 1. Only have 14 various firearms for now but of course I will add to that. A friend of mine has a "40 gun" and it does not look nearly big enough even for what I have now.

Replies

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    I've had a Cannon safe similar to that for about 7-8 years without a problem. I do change the battery twice a year. The finish on the safe is adequate as in it's not rusting but it'll never win a beauty pageant. It's not the highest quality safe but it does keep honest people honest and the grandkids from playing where they aren't supposed to.

If I needed another safe, I'd buy one again.
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,292 Senior Member
    Same safe l have had for about 8 years...no issues, I do a battery change annually whether it needs it or not. Since mine lives in the garage it's elevated about 2" off the floor to allow for air circulation underneath and bolted to the slab....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #4
    Jayhawker said:
    Same safe l have had for about 8 years...no issues, I do a battery change annually whether it needs it or not. Since mine lives in the garage it's elevated about 2" off the floor to allow for air circulation underneath and bolted to the slab....

Is the price about right? Anything local is the same (or close to) price for smaller and lesser known brands.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    Although they are marketed as safes, any “safe” in that price range is actually a “residential security container.  They will NOT survive a determined attack and the fire ratings are optimistic.

But, if bolted to the slab, they aren’t an easy target.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,182 Senior Member
    Although they are marketed as safes, any “safe” in that price range is actually a “residential security container.  They will NOT survive a determined attack and the fire ratings are optimistic.

Yes. Do you want a safe or a locking cabinet?

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited December 2018 #7
    Michakav said:
    Jayhawker said:

Is the price about right? Anything local is the same (or close to) price for smaller and lesser known brands.
    Normal price is a $1,000 ....I bought mine from the same place for the same money...
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,875 Senior Member
    That is similar to mine. If this is what you can afford it's a lot better than no safe. If you ever decide to buy a better one this one will keep most of it's value if you choose to sell it. It looks like a pretty good price to me.
    That is similar to mine. If this is what you can afford it's a lot better than no safe. If you ever decide to buy a better one this one will keep most of it's value if you choose to sell it. It looks like a pretty good price to me.

That's a little past what I wanted to spend. But what I have now is basically a hardwood door with a clasp lock. I don't want to buy 1 of the "24/30 gun" safes for $500 and then have to purchase 2 more to fit everything.
    edited December 2018 #10
    I am thinking I should wait another week and see where the prices are with X-Mas sales. Same safe was $50 cheaper on black friday.
    edited December 2018 #11
    I bought a big safe and still ended up running out of room...I guess if I'd stop accumulating guns it would help...

Building an enclosure around the safe in the garage is helpful...it appears to be a closet and doesn't scream "gun safe"...
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,437 Senior Member
    The capacity rating on safes are overly optimistic.  Most will only hold about half to 2/3 of what they're advertised to hold. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #13
    Buy the biggest safe you can find, afford, and move , I bought a medium sized one, and another, and another.... mostly because I can move them by myself and with one kid. That is a good price.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Buy the biggest safe you can find, afford, and move , I bought a medium sized one, and another, and another.... mostly because I can move them by myself and with one kid. That is a good price.

I am trying to avoid just that scenario. Not the moving part, which I get, but the having to buy multiples. I tend to be on a tight budget because I put a lot of money away for a hopeful retirement. But since I inherited some of my dads guns I can't stomach the thought of losing them. The others I can replace easily.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,437 Senior Member
    You will probably end up putting more than just guns in it. I bought a 54 or 60 gun safe and half of it is full of important papers, pictures and such.  

I had mine delivered and set up. No way I could move a 900 lb safe with 2 or 3 people
    My cousin and I moved mine....the guy at TSC put it on the truck with a fork lift...we took it off with a Ford tractor with a couple of tow straps attached to the bucket....set it inside the roll up door and then rolled it into place on a bunch of golf balls
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I think it's an excellent deal on a damn good product. I paid almost that for a Winchester Safe that's supposed to hold 30 guns I think. But it's cramped with 15 in it. I didn't look on your link but is it a fire safe? My Winchester safe is. But they're only good for about 1/2 hour. I like Cannon Safes. My first gun safe was a Cannon.
    I have two safes. I have an 11 year old Sentry Safe that is full to the gills and I have the Winchester, which is also full. I thought about getting one big safe but I don't have available Real Estate to fit it in here. I have the Sentry Safe in the bedroom and the Winchester in the wash room which is within the climate controlled area of the house. But one like that big Cannon, which would hold all the guns I now own and probably all I will ever own, won't fit in any room comfortably. Other wise I'd have bought one and especially at that price.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yea snake, fire rated for 75 min @ 1200deg.
    Went ahead and ordered it. Seemed to good to pass up.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    1.  Go bigger than you think you need. 

2.  Avoid electronic locks like the plague.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,378 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

Why #2?

Have been using a safe with one for over 10 years now.  Change the battery every year when I change out the smoke alarms, chirping or not.

Most home safes are metal lock boxes.  Given enough time, tools, and a little know how most can be broken in to. But, Most homes you need to get into the house and silence the alarm, then know where it is of find it, then get it open without the police arriving, neighbors or security hearing all the noise.  Not being able to tun it over, roll it out of the house easily and a High fire rating are important points.
    You made a good choice
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:

You made a good choice

After research, I think so too.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I think that safe is the same one I have. I have had it for several years. Got it at Tractor Supply on a Christmas special. Like others have said, it will hold no way near the amount of long arms it advertises. Took 4 of us to haul it to where I was putting it. It has been a good one and I would recommend it. Just get creative on how you arrange the shelves and it should work out for you.
    Michakav said:
    Yea snake, fire rated for 75 min @ 1200deg.
    Excellent Michakav. Sounds like you hit a home run. 75 minutes gives enough time to actually get the cavalry there in time to save your guns.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Yep you're right about bolting the thing down. I think it was JB Ohio put a video up showing two guys breaking into a safe that wasn't bolted down to the floor. I think it took em about 30 or 45 Seconds to get into it because it wasn't bolted down. They just pushed it over and had great leverage with crowbars. Before I saw that my safe was just standing there. Now I have two safes and both are securely bolted down. They may break in, but they're gonna have to work for it.

Actually, time is on our side and against the thief. The harder you can make it for him to break into the safe the less likely he will stay and do it. He's counting on a couple minutes max to break into it. He knows the longer he's there the better chance he has of being caught.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    My wife bought me a $500 safe that I have been satisfied with, because it serves my need. I have seen videos in which two big guys with a 6' gorilla bar opened that identical safe, in less than two minutes.

But, they were smart, and I judge that the type of thief who would attempt to prey on me, is not likely to be that smart. The risk/reward equation involved simply doesn't work, for a smart thief.

Bigslug said:

I have two and both are electronic. Had no problem with the first one in 11 years. The Winchester I've only had a couple years. But change the battery and you're good to go. The first of the two I didn't change the batteries for 5 years and still no problem. When the batteries died I changed them out and it opened right up.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,182 Senior Member
    Unless one needs F-A-S-T access, electronic locks are a problem waiting to happen. Just like electronic anything. Even then, there are fast access mechanical locks - but I don't know how they stack up with their electronic counterparts.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited December 2018 #29
    bisley said:
    My wife bought me a $500 safe that I have been satisfied with, because it serves my need. I have seen videos in which two big guys with a 6' gorilla bar opened that identical safe, in less than two minutes.

But, they were smart, and I judge that the type of thief who would attempt to prey on me, is not likely to be that smart. The risk/reward equation involved simply doesn't work, for a smart thief.

I think most of their advantage was being able to tip it over and have room around it to work. If it's in a corner and bolted down I am guessing it would take MUCH longer.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Bigslug said:

Why #2?
    Got a buddy about to have his drilled and probably converted to mechanical because something failed in one of the solenoids.

And secondly, batteries. . . needed to access your guns?  'Nuff said.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,378 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Diver43 said:
    Bigslug said:

Why #2?
    Got a buddy about to have his drilled and probably converted to mechanical because something failed in one of the solenoids.

And secondly, batteries. . . needed to access your guns?  'Nuff said.
    To each their own I guess.
    I figure anything mechanical can fail.
    If the keypad fails, there is a big honken emergency key that can be used. Ours rest comfortably in my daughters safe, in another state.
    If ever needed, bet the keypad opens faster also
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5