Home Main Category General Firearms

Fired my first Rock Island .45 ACP today!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 25,774 Senior Member
My ranch friend’s granddaughter is in town visiting this week. She has some shooting experience and her boyfriend had given her his 1911 to use at her house and to travel. 

I asked what kind it was and she didn’t remember. But, asked if we could clean it for her while she was visiting. 

Of course I’d clean it for her. And, of course I was gonna shoot it as well. 

Turns out, it was a Rock Island Armory Rock standard CS Model. Or, a basic officers model. Seemed a nice gun. Felt decent in the hand. My only gripe being the rough/sharp edges prevalent with all RIA.

The boyfriend had loaded it with 230gr ball ammo for her defense use. Dumb ass.  At least it was .45 cal I guess.

Anyway, I put several mags of my own 230gr ball ammo though it and was pleasantly pleased with how well it shot. Recoil wasn’t bad at all for such a small gun. The sharp edges of the beavertail and thumb safety were annoying. Other than that, it handled, recoiled, and shot well from 10 yards offhand. 

Loaded up some 185gr Federal Classic HP ammo and tried it as well. It fed, recoiled, and grouped even better!

Overall, it’s a nice base model 1911. I’d take a dremmel tool tonit if it were mine and polish/smooth off the sharp edges. But, I’d keep it if it were mine. 

Won’t be trading or selling my G36 for one, though. 

Cleaned it it up and lubed it up. It was in need of both. Some surface rust and zero lubrication were an issue. Nothing a little synthetic ATF and grease couldn’t fix. 

Afrerwards, there was a drastic improvement in how smooth it cycled. 

I gave her some of the 185gr HP ammo to keep in the gun. 

Rumor has it, her boyfriend is getting her an XDs in 9mm that she liked for Christmas. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,441 Senior Member
    I keep looking at that 9mm and .22TCM combo.......
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,694 Senior Member
    Good deal taking care of the basic maintenance for her and supplying some good SD ammo.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,754 Senior Member
    Fiddled my way through a small handful of them.  Mechanically, they don't suck, but yeah. . .the sharp edges seem to physically punish you for the hubris of trying to save money.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,963 Senior Member
    Sweet! Just an RIA 9mm, GI model today! Can’t wait to run a few mags through it!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,774 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Fiddled my way through a small handful of them.  Mechanically, they don't suck, but yeah. . .the sharp edges seem to physically punish you for the hubris of trying to save money.
    Yep. Outside of that, it seemed a very functional firearm. Just gotta game those edges. 

But, I had to do the same on my Springfield Range Officer. The back of the thumb safety chewed me up. So, I just polished it down. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,774 Senior Member
    bellcat said:
    Sweet! Just an RIA 9mm, GI model today! Can’t wait to run a few mags through it!
    Pics or it didn’t happen. 

😁
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #8
    This mirrors my experience with the RIA compact. Mine's a tad prettier. The top target is not the RIA. The bottom two are. The bottom target is 5 rounds from 15 yards unsupported with plain-jane ball. The middle target is 5 rounds supported/benched from 15 yards with ball. It shoots 230 grain jacketed hollow points with no trouble. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,963 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    bellcat said:
    Pics or it didn’t happen. 

😁
    Employment getting in the way!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain