Collapsible AR stock that's also rear rest bag friendly?

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,346 Senior Member
I ask this because my regular AR-15 is strictly a varmint hunting affair. It's a heavy-barreled rifle with that has a standard A2 stock because it's what works with a rear rest bag. However, I'd like to be able to buy a fun, plinking upper, pssibly in an M4 configuration, but most of the ones I've seen would not give ample front-to-back play to make adjustments to a rear rest rabbit ear/target bag. Anything out there that might work?
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I'll be honest Luis, I'm not sure I understand your question.

About the only thing that I can see, that would effect you using an adjustable stock and a rear bag would be inadvertently pressing the adjustment lever.
    Magpul has a solution to this particular problem. They put the lever on the bottom of the tube, instead of the bottom of the stock.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG400/82

That's an answer to a question......now whether or not that's the question that you were asking, I have no idea. But remember this, my advice is always worth what you pay for it. :tooth:
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    If it is an issue of wanting to try one out "risk free" to see how it would work, I have a spare 6 Point adjustable stock literally collecting dust in the garage. I was going to offer it to Lee's build but he already has a completely different one on his list.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    If I understand what you're saying, a Magpul MOE will get the job done...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    If I understand what you're saying, a Magpul MOE will get the job done...

That's it! That's exactly what I would need.

IMG_7687%201028%20WEVO.jpg

To better explain why this design would work and the original problem I face with your typical collapsible stock, you have to visualize using the A2 stock as a sort of sliding elevator that you can use to fine tune barrel elevation. Shooting from a bench, you would slide the bag toward the thick end of the stock to lower the muzzle angle toward the ground and vice versa. With many collapsible/M4 style stocks, the release mechanism sits right where a rabbit ear rear rest bag needs to sit:

9130514272_sept%2013%20010.jpg

Not only that, but your face will put pressure above that exact spot, possibly leading to release of the stock locking mechanism. I can see the thing slipping on you right at the moment of truth as a result. With that Magpul MOE stock that Jayhawker pointed out, the release is inside of the stock body and you still have an angled stock to slide forward and back on to alter muzzle angle. That's what I was getting at there - sorry if it wasn't' clear in the original post.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    I kinda figured that was where you were going...I've always considered the lock mechanism of the standard adjustable stock dangling out there in mid-air to be a weak point in it's design. Magpul did it right
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Yes, they did. You'd have to go out of your way to hit that thing. Now, if I buy a stock like that, are there any other supplemental parts I need to buy? The gun it would go on has a standard length, A2 style-buffer and stock.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,417 Senior Member
    For a fun plinker why not just keep it with the A2 butt stock? My 16" AR has a MOE on it, and I'm giving serious thought to going to a fixed A2 or Ace once I get my 6.5 Grendel upper
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Yes, they did. You'd have to go out of your way to hit that thing. Now, if I buy a stock like that, are there any other supplemental parts I need to buy? The gun it would go on has a standard length, A2 style-buffer and stock.

It will slip right on the collapsible stock (M4) buffer tube , but you need to determine if you have a mil-spec or commercial tube.

20120101_01.jpg
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    For a fun plinker why not just keep it with the A2 butt stock? My 16" AR has a MOE on it, and I'm giving serious thought to going to a fixed A2 or Ace once I get my 6.5 Grendel upper

Good question. The reason for why I want to consider a collapsible buttstock is that it actually give me some flexibility with my pdog upper for getting closer to the gun when the eye relief dips in higher scope magnification. When you get up around 15-18x power, that eye relief becomes tough to reach for a short guy like me on an AR plaform. Not only that, but shortening the gun also gives me more real estate on my portable shooting table. Add that in with a form factor correct stock for a M4 style upper and think it's a winner all around.

Now, I'm fairly certain that I will have to buy a buffer tube to make this work. Does the tube come with all of the required hardware out of the box in most cases (springs, pins, etc) or will the parts from full-length setup work in the M4 tube?
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,417 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Good question. The reason for why I want to consider a collapsible buttstock is that it actually give me some flexibility with my pdog upper for getting closer to the gun when the eye relief dips in higher scope magnification. When you get up around 15-18x power, that eye relief becomes tough to reach for a short guy like me on an AR plaform. Not only that, but shortening the gun also gives me more real estate on my portable shooting table. Add that in with a form factor correct stock for a M4 style upper and think it's a winner all around.

Very good point, I should have thought about that. Kind of like how I used to shorten the buttstock significantly on my precision air rifle for offhand so I could get closer to the sights.

In that case, I would like at the CTR. It's like the MOE but it has a friction bit that eliminates the wiggle. Downside is it's about $95 as opposed to $55
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • KeyHoleKeyHole Member Posts: 30 Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    It will slip right on the collapsible stock (M4) buffer tube , but you need to determine if you have a mil-spec or commercial tube.

20120101_01.jpg

the friction lock will illiminate the slop found in collapsible stocks. my M&P 15 was terrible until I replaced with a Magpul CTR
    The Second Amendment, America's Original Homeland Security
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    I think you'll need a tube also. No need for the slider stops and key rail for the fixed stock. I have seen them as a complete assembly. will Mag-pulls adjustable fixed work?
    arstock002.jpg
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    The PRS stock fits a standard round tube. The M4 tube has the rib with slot & holes.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    rapier5316 wrote: »
    I think you'll need a tube also. No need for the slider stops and key rail for the fixed stock. I have seen them as a complete assembly. will Mag-pulls adjustable fixed work?
    arstock002.jpg

Yep, that might work, too, Keith. I think my LGS stocks Magpul, so I may have to have a look.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Have the Magpul MOE on one rifle and it is a great option, very sturdy but gonna swap that to a Magpul ACS due to the battery compartment and built in cheek rest.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    bruchi - the MOE looks liek right design, but reading what everyone has put up here, the CTR may actually be the better option. This thing has to be absolutely rock steady once it's locked in for length. Any movement or wiggle is a no-go for prairie dog hunting and the kind of stability required for longer shots. The friction lock sounds like not just a nice option, but a requirement for this change to be worthwhile. I guess I really need to see a mounted sample for these options to know if I'm getting what I think I need.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I don't own 1 but will be looking at the Magpul UBR for my next build, 6.5 Grendel. I am not sure but I think BP runs atleast 1 UBR so he might be better to chime in on them. They ain't cheap ... $225 is my best price but that includes all the parts in the buffer tube assembly (it is specific for the UBR) so it is not to far out of line.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    Six,

I have the CTR on one of my AR's. It is easy to install and rock solid with no wiggle on the buffer tube. Just check to see what size you will need and you should be good to go. Take a look at Ebay or some of the other gun forums classified adds. You should be able to find a used CTR at a good price.
    scarface wrote: »
    Six,

I have the CTR on one of my AR's. It is easy to install and rock solid with no wiggle on the buffer tube. Just check to see what size you will need and you should be good to go. Take a look at Ebay or some of the other gun forums classified adds. You should be able to find a used CTR at a good price.

Thanks for the personal review on that CTR, scarface. Used may be a very good idea in this case since it's a toos up as to whether or not it will work as I envision it.
  • scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    Here is a used one for $70: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_25/939702_WTS___Tangodown_Grip__Troy_Rail_Covers__Magpul_CTR__Magpul_Moe.html

Not sure if you need a commercial or mil-spec size, but here is a start.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Go to here: http://www.botachtactical.com/mactrcastmil.html and select a CTR that you need. Add it to cart, on the bottom of the cart (way below), there is a place to enter coupon code. Enter SLICKMAG for 20% off. With free shipping, a CTR will be yours for under $64! The code works for all Magpul products, including the UBR.

While some people had some issues, I have ordered from these guys several times and never had a problem.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    I have CTRs on both my ARs and am very happy with them. For the price they're a nice upgrade over the MOE without breaking the bank or adding a ton of additional weight to the rifle.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Wow. It's happened. Back when the abortive Clinton AWB was enacted and then ran its ill-birthed course, I idly wondered just how long it would take until the M-16/AR-15 began to be "sporterized" like the wartime Mausers/Springfields etc. back sixty years ago.

With the wide availability of aftermarket parts, build-your-own supplies, and the 'Net providing both contact and inspiration, I can only guess that the AR-15 aftermarket will cotinue to expand.

Which, after all, is a good thing! A few years ago, I recall seeing an article in a hunting magazine that presented Remington's full-camo AR-clone and other modifications to the basic AR as a serious option for a hunting rifle, despite much nay-saying of guys toting a "military" weapon into the "sporting" game fields. Much like a hundred years ago when the debate was about the military's new-fangled bolt actions being fielded alongside the "traditional" lever-action and single-shot. Everything old is new again!

Okay, back to topic, I eagerly await further developments... :popcorn: