I love this place.

jbohiojbohio Senior MemberPosts: 5,500 Senior Member
I'm sitting here, thinking back over this year. I realized that some of the best times I've had this year, best laughs, nicest things done for me, and some of the best people I know, are thanks to this forum.

This is truly a special place.

Happy new year, everyone.

Replies

• TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    Amen, bro. A good bunch indeed. At first, I gained a lot of gun knowledge on here, but as I hung around for a while, and have made some good friends, and a few guys that have helped me with some things better than those that are near me. I hope 2012 brings some face to face meetings with some of the members here.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    I'm sitting here, thinking back over this year. I realized that some of the best times I've had this year, best laughs, nicest things done for me, and some of the best people I know, are thanks to this forum.
    Ditto, and back at you!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Agreed. There are so many knowledgeable, and generous folks here who freely share it simply boggles the mind.
    My thanks to everyone who has shared this forum for the last year and I wish you all the best in the year to come.

Sako
    Looking back, 2011 was a ROUGH year for this forum. I am glad that so many people stuck it out and are still here.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I put up with a fair share of bumps and bruises when I first joined. My bull in a china shop demeanor coupled with the generally knowledgeable and suspicious nature of a legit place such as this.........made for some interesting threads an posts when I first showed up some 6 or 7 years ago. I stuck it out and you guys succeeded in polishing off a few (not all) of my rough edges. Welcomed me in with the usual hazing (which I am all too familiar with and believe is effective in weeding the wheat from the chaff) and I feel like I'm part of the family. A pretty cool family. Know and meet some AWESOME people here! Learned a lot and shared a lot. Probably too much of both. Wonderfully generous people on the little slice of the turmultuous www. Thanks guys.

Who are you again?
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Looking back, 2011 was a ROUGH year for this forum. I am glad that so many people stuck it out and are still here.

Speaking of, I'm having a Makers Mark at midnight. If I had one, I'd smoke a Winston.
    Here's to Dan and Mike. :beer:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,982 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I sell shoes. Remember?

And I'll bet you can tie the laces all by yourself now:jester:

You ain't gonna find a better group of turd-knockers anywhere on the Web:tooth::usa:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Well said everyone. This place is one of a kind. If it were any other forum on the web, I would consider myself a geek because of the time I spend on here. But this place is different. Its a friendship, knowledge, and family. Hell, I share with you fellas, the things that few others (if any,) know about me. And I can always know that I will recieve great advice.
  • NyGunownerNyGunowner Banned Posts: 328 Member
    Yeah, a while back I realized some of the best friends I had were on this forum. After I recovered from the cold sweats, I shaved and went out of the house to find some real people.....
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    NyGunowner wrote: »
    Yeah, a while back I realized some of the best friends I had were on this forum.

Agreed, I've never had so many brothers from another mother. And some I've actually met in person!

I hope to change that this year and meet many more; I'm actually going to try and make the SE Shoot this year...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Here here, this is an awesome place!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 405 Member
    Happy New Year Friends!!!
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    Happy New Year
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    Happy New Year everyone! Stay safe and have fun over the holiday.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,835 Senior Member
    I've met some great people that I otherwise would not know had it not been for this place - and there are others I have yet to meet. Actually it's the perfect place for folks (like me) who generally don't care for "people" as a whole to maintain some level of "sociability"... going into it, you know that you share some common interests.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    And I'll bet you can tie the laces all by yourself now:jester:

You ain't gonna find a better group of turd-knockers anywhere on the Web:tooth::usa:

I don't know about the laces, hard to manipulate with carney hands.

I do agree that this is the best site around though. Basically the only one I visit regularly (every day).
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Yes, very special place indeed. I am a member of several gun/hunting forums, but THIS place is home.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,665 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »

This is truly a special place.

Yes it is, and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year to you and yours and the rest of my forum family :hug:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    A bunch of good folks indeed.

Happy New Year folks. One time I would like to make it to Mary and Jerry's place for the shoot.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »

Happy New Year folks. One time I would like to make it to Mary and Jerry's place for the shoot.

Everyone would love to have you there, I'm sure. Start checking tickets. If you can get anywhere near where any of us are driving, we'll get you there.
    I just saw today, fares from Cali to here, for under $200.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I came here originally as many I guess did, to learn and share stuff about guns and that part gets fulfilled every time I visit here, as a wonderful bonus I have learn some about myself and perhaps even made for a better person, I like to think that hanging around the most experienced and patient folks around here has helped me a lot in that area. Thanks!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    Buford wrote: »

I am seeing flights for that weekend for about $330 or so. Why not do it this year? Don't worry about bringing guns or ammo. We will have plenty.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

AMEN. I am glad to see that the forum pulled through and things are heading in a good direction for 2012. This is a great place!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,368 Senior Member
    Happy New year! I hope this is a good year for everybody.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I've never been very good at conversations - most of what I say, in person, gets taken the wrong way. This place has helped me with that because almost everyone here is at least as opinionated as I am, and most of the 'regulars' are considerably more knowledgeable on the subjects that actually interest me. I have learned that having a little bit more humility costs nothing, and makes me a better man.

Besides all that, this place is a resource for detailed shooting information that is generally not available to me anywhere else, from folks who have been and are continuously being 'vetted.' I love the fact that 'posers' get stopped in their tracks before they get a chance to be a bad or dangerous influence on anyone. There are a lot of folks out there in the world giving advice that can get people hurt, and that is carefully monitored here by the membership. I appreciate that a lot.