Home Main Category Clubhouse

Led Zeppelin concert 1969

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
edited December 2018 in Clubhouse #1
I saw this concert in Jacksonville. The radio was playing Led Zeppelin songs on the way back from picking my youngest daughter up last Saturday from the airport. I mentioned I saw them back in 68/69 and she found this poster. It was 1969, I reckon those ticket prices have long been gone.

I remember they had one album out and played songs off #2 coming out.
One was "Whole Lotta Love" which became a big hit for them.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,267 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #2
    LMAO! Yeah. . .I'd pay six bucks to see LZ live!  That was 20 years before my first paycheck at $4.10 an hour. Online calculator says that's about $20 in 1989 money, and about $42 now.  Pretty sure I'd still go. :D

I got a big kick when Jimmy Page riffed Whole Lotta Love at the closing ceremonies of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.  I doubt the Chinese were ready for that. 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    You got a concert poster from your neck of the woods? That is very cool.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    No I didn't save any posters, who knew to.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    No I didn't save any posters, who knew to.
    I thought your daughter gave it to you for Christmas.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I saw Robert Plant at Cobo Hall Arena. Date unknown. The memory is a fog. What I saw in the restrooms was bad enough I've erased the images from my mind.

Some of the good old days are best forgot.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    The Texas panhandle was not a big venue for rock bands in 1969, but I did see the Grass Roots and the Guess Who, but it might have been 1970 or even 1971.
    edited December 2018 #8
    Off the top of my head......I saw seome good concerts in Jacksonville. John Mayall, Steppenwolf (Born to be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride...) and Quicksilver Messenger Service at one of the beaches.  
    A funny story. Blue Cheer was an opening act (I think) for one concert. I think their hit was Summertime Blues. Anyway these guys come out on stage and started to "Play"........they were trying to lip sync the songs....couple wigs fell off and I think the drum set fell apart.........turned out to some DJs and whoever trying to fake it because they didn't show up.

I can't remember all the details, but the concert went on when the scheduled big band came on.
    It may be they were never scheduled to be there by their managers, but it was somehow on the poster and promised by those guys. Maybe they tried and failed to get them or the deal fell through...........
    The worst concert I ever attended, in deference to a girl I was dating at the time, was Tony Orlando, who I already knew I didn't like. What I didn't know was how much everybody else also didn't like him. Unfortunately for him, the 'warm-up' band was a local rock band that was very good at replicating the top rock bands. The crowd let him sing his Top 40 hit ('Candida'), but halfway through his second song started chanting 'Baby,' which was the name of the local band. He finished the song and walked off the stage, at which point the other band came back out and played everything they knew. There was another well known group that also played some - I forget their name.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Dang Chief, I suddenly feel a little older. Back in the seventies while in the service we went to almost every concert that passed through Mobile. I even saw Dr Hook at the Airmans Club at Sheppard AFB in 1976. When I separated in 1980, I took my separation pay and saw Foreigner, Cheap Trick, The Eagles, and Christopher Cross at the Superdome. I think the tickets were around 24 bucks.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,051 Senior Member
    Led Zeppelin is my all time favorite band. In my opinion, they have the best combination of skilled vocals/guitar/drums of any band. 

Many have one or the other, but few have them all like Zeppelin. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I had all of Led Zeppelin in LP record albums, through 'Led Zeppelin IV.' I had never seen any video of them, so I had no clue how freaky (to me) Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were. But, that was pretty much the case with all of the late '60's, early '70's bands. I liked the music, without even really noticing what they intended for a 'message.' I didn't even realize that Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and Young) were practically Communists.

My male family members were all staunch military types, and much of that attitude rubbed off on me, but not enough to affect my musical taste (or lack thereof).