Made my longest ever shot on game today

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,662 Senior Member
Also, my first deer with my suppressor.
Wasn't raining today, so have a better pic than the last one.

Bullet entered just below the white patch under his chin and the black mark you see just to the right of the end of the hand guard  is the exit.
180 yards, 223, Nosler 64gr "Bonded Performance" pushed by a healthy dose of Ramshot TAC and a DRT 4pt

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,252 Senior Member
    Extraordinary shooting!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    Thank you Mike
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    great shooting
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Thank you Ned

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Well done. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    Great shot.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Thank you Zedrick

Thank you Jay

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    Beautiful shot!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Well done Paul...nice deer
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Thank you Luis, Scott.
    I was happy with it

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,092 Senior Member
    Mighty fine eatin' there son. Good catch!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Thanks Zorba

edited December 2018 #15
    Here's an OLD aerial view. (The field isn't as long this year, and the hay bales aren't there)
    The green arrow on the lower right points to the shooting house, the red 4pt star is where the deer was, (he had stopped on top of one of terraces) and I had LASERed from the edge of the field to the shooting house @ 155 yards previously. He was 25+ yards behind the edge of the field. Actually further than I initially thought.

I couldn't see him once he went down, and I was looking to my left as I drove around the end of the field and he was actually quite a ways to the right.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    Well done!  Congrats on a great shot!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Thanks Jeff

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    Always nice to get a buck, nice shootin' there hey
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Thanks Chiro

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Congratulations.  
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks E.B.

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    Excellent shooting! TAC is a great powder that doesn’t get a lot of recognition.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Thanks BellCat and I agree.

TAC is one of the powders I buy by the 8 pound jug

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,480 Senior Member
    Nice shot, Paul.  Someone has to ask, though.  Did you shoot for his chin?  Was he facing you?  I'm confused.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited December 2018 #25
    Thanks Enzo & Jerry

Jerry, yes, he was facing me. No, I wasn't aiming at his chin. That white spot I referenced goes from his lower jaw to about half way down the neck. My POA was where the white and brown met on his neck, which is pretty close to where I hit.

The reason his chin looks the way it does in the pic, is froth he blew out as he died.

edited to add: he had a bunch or froth come out of his nostrils as well, though it is not as visible from the angle I took the pic from

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,480 Senior Member

Paul,

your explanation makes the shot that much more impressive.  Well done.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Thank you sir

• Billy_BuddBilly_Budd Posts: 572 Senior Member
    ***Good Bad Ugly theme song***
    Thanks

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #31
    • Don't get me wrong on what I'm going to say but of course, if I can have a shot up close I'll take it. But every once in a while, a long shot makes you feel accomplished. I haven't had that many real long shots that connected, but the ones I have I felt like Tarzan, so Congrats! That shot wasn't a given, it was a long way. Shots like that are a real challenge. Congrats!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.