Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hollywood gun notions

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,939 Senior Member

We've started watching Designated Survivor on Netflix.  It's pretty good, even though they throw in the occasional left wing rhetoric on some topics. 

In one of the recent episodes we watched, the main character was shot by a sniper.  He was immediately taken to the hospital, where a doctor who must have been extremely knowledgeable about firearms and ballistics examined him.  I say this because the doctor took one look at a bloody wound, and pronounced it was made by a 30 caliber bullet, "probably a black out".

Needless to say, I was impressed. 

Now where's that "yeah, right" emoji?

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    LOL
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,660 Senior Member
    Maybe he just knew it wasn't a .270!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #4
    Was it a Hollywood gun notion?

Or a Hollywood doctor notion?

Sometimes the police shows sell the notion that cops automatically know whos innocent or guilty just by intuition without gathering evidence. Maybe super powers of knowledge and wisdom are also being ascribed to physicians?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,939 Senior Member

All I know for sure is that it blew away all my respect and admiration for those CSI fellas.  They have to run all kinds of tests to figure out this sort of thing, while this doctor just needed a quick glance.

Maybe they should take lessons from him.

Jerry

• Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 451 Member
    edited December 2018 #6
    JerryBobCo said: 

the doctor took one look at a bloody wound, and pronounced it was made by a 30 caliber bullet, "probably a black out".
    You made me remember another TV cop show . The doctor pulled a buckshot pellet from the wound , watched it for 2 seconds and claimed "a 12 gauge shotgun"...

I never thought you could know the caliber of the shotgun just by looking one fired pellet 

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    To the average person that knows nothing about guns, there response might be " wow a 300 blackout, that must be some ultra long range gun, probably take out 3 or 4 guys at a time"

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Where firearms are concerned on movies and TV, one is required to leave reality, and step off the cliff into sheer fantasy land.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member

We've started watching Designated Survivor on Netflix.  It's pretty good, even though they throw in the occasional left wing rhetoric on some topics.  

Designated Survivor goes full-blown gun control later in the show. They ramble on about BGC for all purchases...I guess it didn't occur to them that almost all of the bad guys in the show were gov't agents and were vetted by the SS, DOD, CIA, FBI, etc. I haven't continued watching. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Maybe he just knew it wasn't a .270!
    He said gunshot wound, not bruise.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

"Yep, they look like 40 millimeter..."
    That would be an easy one at 1.57 inch.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,120 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
     "Yep, they look like 40 millimeter..."
    I would like to see the handgun that fired those!  freaked out smiley
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    Bad guy must have had a grenade launcher....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I just wish they could film a death scene accurately. Too many peaceful deaths and not enough thrashing around... 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

To derail my own thread (it's allowed), I have to share this.  We're also watching Outlander, season 4 (you need a Starz subscription).  The setting is the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina in the late 1760s or early 1770s.   In the scene, two of the characters, a man and a teenage boy,  are hunting. 

They see a young bull elk, and the boy shoots it.  I think that elk did inhabit that area at that time, so I let that slide.  However, the ground shrinkage was remarkable.  Not only was the animal much smaller that I expected of a raghorn bull,  but it transformed itself to a whitetail buck.

The way it was gutted was a whole 'nother story.  Apparently the way to do it is to leave the animal laying on its side and just jab a long bladed knife into its belly and cut away.  Amazingly, only blood gushed out.  No crap from the stomach or intestines.  I think I'll pass on using that technique.

Jerry

CaliFFL said:

Designated Survivor goes full-blown gun control later in the show. They ramble on about BGC for all purchases...I guess it didn't occur to them that almost all of the bad guys in the show were gov't agents and were vetted by the SS, DOD, CIA, FBI, etc. I haven't continued watching. 

I've already seen some of the positions on immigration that I disagree with, and may have to quit watching when it gets to the gun control stuff.  We'll see.
    Jerry

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    'Designated Survivor' had possibilities when it first aired - in other words, it was a sound idea, written and acted out with just enough credibility to keep me from turning the dial. But, as usual, they drifted away from objectivity and realism, after a few episodes.

I guess you just can't expect entertainers to understand real life, when their whole existence depends upon making important people like them. You have to spend your own money to actually tell the truth, and you probably won't have enough to be able to tell the truth to people who don't like it. The businessmen who will actually finance such an undertaking, are going to require an outcome that fits their business plan, or political agenda.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    I liked "Designated Survivor". Yes some of the opinions held are not mine but it also held some that did. It was not a bad depiction of what might happen. The main character was in a Dem admin, dept of Housing and Urban development. Billed as an independent.
    He has to jump up in rank a lot, and deal with what is thrown at him.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #20
    JerryBobCo said: 

the doctor took one look at a bloody wound, and pronounced it was made by a 30 caliber bullet, "probably a black out".
    You made me remember another TV cop show . The doctor pulled a buckshot pellet from the wound , watched it for 2 seconds and claimed "a 12 gauge shotgun"...

I never thought you could know the caliber of the shotgun just by looking one fired pellet 

(He was just gauging it by size!)

If this happened for real, I'd be suspicious of the doctors!
     :D 
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    JerryBobCo said: 

(He was just gauging it by size!)

If this happened for real, I'd be suspicious of the doctors!
     :D 
    Do you mean you're not already???
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    My suspicion of doctors is directly proportional to the amount they charge.

But if I was one of these CSI types then I'd be extra extra suspicious! 
     ;) 
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

I liked "Designated Survivor". Yes some of the opinions held are not mine but it also held some that did. It was not a bad depiction of what might happen. The main character was in a Dem admin, dept of Housing and Urban development. Billed as an independent.

We likes season 1 with all the cloak and dagger stuff.  Season 2, though, is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.  It's pretty much all politics.  I'm not sure we'll finish it.

Jerry

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #24
    I was watching a YouTube video of a couple of millennials, who were magnet fishing, next to a bridge. One of them pulled up, what was obviously a sawed-off single shot 12ga. shotgun. They started speculating that somebody must have stolen it from a house, then tossed it in the river. It was rusted shut and they couldn't locate the serial number. They decided to call the popo. This is where it really got good. The officer that arrived looked like he was in their age group. They started discussing the gun.........thinking it might be a replica that someone stole, thinking it was real. They saw that in it's present condition, it couldn't be fired. They asked the cop if they could keep it and he said he couldn't see why they can't. ??? He said he would get back to the station and run a search for stolen muskets, to see if it comes up. Neither him or the others were aware that it was a illegal gun, rusty or not.
    It's kinda like watching COPS and you see an officer take a gun off of a bad guy and spends 5 minutes just trying to figure out how to clear it.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    ByJerryBobCo said:

We likes season 1 with all the cloak and dagger stuff.  Season 2, though, is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.  It's pretty much all politics.  I'm not sure we'll finish it.

It gets worse.  

Regarding the magnet fishing video: I think I could go quite a while without hearing the word "dude" after listening to that.  Wouldn't miss it a bit. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Probably one one of the WORST examples of firearms in movies is the 2007 movie 'Shoot 'Em Up'. Reality turns to fantasy land rapidly in this Hollyweird antigun movie. If you haven't seen this one, and can rent it for cheap, or cheap pay per view, you need to watch it.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Nothing beats Wyatt Earp in Tombstone getting off 3 shots with his SxS shotgun.
    With a name like shoot'em up, are you even surprised?  :D

Must have been one of those Joe Biden doubles. It's all you need  :D

He must have racked the slide on that SxS and reloaded. :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    I want one of the hollywood silencers that not only eliminates the muzzle blast, but the sonic crack too.

The "Smith & Wesson" 1911 from the movie "Dr. No" (It was on this afternoon)
    The villain's henchman walks into the bedroom with a silenced 1911. Fires 6 rounds into the pile of pillows thinking it's Bond, on the bed. Bonds makes his presence known from behind the door, the henchman points a "slide locked" 1911 at him and Bond responds with, "That's a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six"

Also, the "press on" silencer Bond used in the same scene. No threaded barrel on his PPK, press it on while waiting, shoot the henchman twice, then just pull it off and put it back in your pocket
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.