Home Main Category General Firearms

New to me Smith 19-4.

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 6,741 Senior Member
I found the right 357 mag to go with my Marlin 1894c yesterday. I was doing a bit of a pawnshop crawl and found a nice Smith 19-4 357 for 4 bills, the wife said merry late Christmas! Awesome!! It’s not perfect but just enough wear to be a field gun without feeling bad about putting any new wear in it. This is my first Smith believe it or not and I wanted a pinned and recessed gun if I was going to get a smith. 

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    I have a -6 with the same barrel length and front sight. Im biding my time to get a nice set a grips for it.

Your's has a nice finish. The left side plate actually reflects the cylinder ratchets in the picture.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,741 Senior Member
    I have a -6 with the same barrel length and front sight. Im biding my time to get a nice set a grips for it.

Your's has a nice finish. The left side plate actually reflects the cylinder ratchets in the picture.
    The finish is amazing. They did a great job on this one. 
    Yea, mine don't have a polish like that by long stretch. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,961 Senior Member
    Cool. 

I always wanted a 2-3/4” Model 19. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Cool. 

I always wanted a 2-3/4” Model 19. 
    That would be cool! 
    Yea, mine don't have a polish like that by long stretch. 
    Here’s a better picture. 

I’m going to save my penny’s and get these....or at least some wood grips. I loath these Goodyear’s. 
    http://grashornsgunworks.com/smith-wesson-k-l-square1?ReturnUrl=LwBnAHUAbgAtAGcAcgBpAHAAcwA%3d
    Those will look goooooood!
    You'll need your best duds when you're packing that one.
    Those will look goooooood!
    You'll need your best duds when you're packing that one.
    Oh yeah!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I am still lusting after a 686 Plus with 3" barrel.  Here is another place to look for grips:

I am still lusting after a 686 Plus with 3" barrel.  Here is another place to look for grips:

Thanks!! Good looking grips. 

I handled one today. It had an unfluted cylinder. The factory grips and round butt gave it an ideal feel in the hand. The finish is utilitarian compared to Elk's new 19'.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #14
    Elk creek said:
    I found the right 357 mag to go with my Marlin 1894c yesterday. I was doing a bit of a pawnshop crawl and found a nice Smith 19-4 357 for 4 bills, the wife said merry late Christmas! Awesome!! It’s not perfect but just enough wear to be a field gun without feeling bad about putting any new wear in it. This is my first Smith believe it or not and I wanted a pinned and recessed gun if I was going to get a smith. 

I don't have a 19, I have a beautiful 586, the blue and walnut version of the 686. Actually the 686 is the stainless version of the 586. 586 was first.

But I knew a guy who was a cop with LAPD for 20 years and retired to a job with the NRA. His name was Herb Chambers. When I met him at a 4H training workshop in Brownwood TX. he was on his third barrel on his beloved Model 19 4" which was his duty gun his whole career as a cop. And he was good with it. He taught us to shoot double action. He said with practice you could shoot better double action than single. I never achieved his expertise in double action but he was bad ass with it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    "This is my first Smith believe it or not and I wanted a pinned and recessed gun if I was going to get a smith."

Man they ain't made one of those in over 40 years. My 586 is 35 years old and it isn't recessed. I don't know why they quit making 'em like that, they were nice touches to some great guns.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #16
    Congratulations on your first Smith. Patrick makes fine grips.
    400. Is a great price on one that is P&R too.
    A 19 is one of the Smiths still in the want list so for the that and the price you've earned a you SUCK !!

I can't shoot well with magnas so most of mine wear targets.
    I tend to accumulate them a tad bit.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Nice Horace n Daniel.

Congrats.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 358 Member
    Congrats on a great handgun. I have a 19-7 in 4" that serves as my "go-to/rapid response" at home that I put wood grips on, a great shooter.

That’s a true classic! You did very well 😍❤️
    Thanks! Acorn,  blind pig and all that. 🤣
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:

I don't have a 19, I have a beautiful 586, the blue and walnut version of the 686. Actually the 686 is the stainless version of the 586. 586 was first.

But I knew a guy who was a cop with LAPD for 20 years and retired to a job with the NRA. His name was Herb Chambers. When I met him at a 4H training workshop in Brownwood TX. he was on his third barrel on his beloved Model 19 4" which was his duty gun his whole career as a cop. And he was good with it. He taught us to shoot double action. He said with practice you could shoot better double action than single. I never achieved his expertise in double action but he was bad ass with it.
    Those that have them absolutely love them. That was a large part of what pushed me towards getting this one. 
    snake284 said:
    "This is my first Smith believe it or not and I wanted a pinned and recessed gun if I was going to get a smith."

Man they ain't made one of those in over 40 years. My 586 is 35 years old and it isn't recessed. I don't know why they quit making 'em like that, they were nice touches to some great guns.

The age is what makes it more appealing, at least to me. Still wish everything was made as well. 
    Weatherby said:
    Congratulations on your first Smith. Patrick makes fine grips.
    400. Is a great price on one that is P&R too.
    A 19 is one of the Smiths still in the want list so for the that and the price you've earned a you SUCK !!

I can't shoot well with magnas so most of mine wear targets.
    I tend to accumulate them a tad bit.

(Grumble grumble) Those grips are amazing! (Son of a grumble grumble grumble)🤣😁😂
    Big Chief said:
    Nice Horace n Daniel.

Congrats.

Thank you! Looking forward to shooting it, when it gets above 20 degrees!
    Congrats on a great handgun. I have a 19-7 in 4" that serves as my "go-to/rapid response" at home that I put wood grips on, a great shooter.

This one is the permanent companion to my Marlin 1894c. They are made about the same time give or take a couple years. The Smith is a coulme years older. It will make a perfect pair! 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,673 Senior Member
    SWEET looking 19 <3<3<3
    You suck!!!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Making leather for it yet? 😁
    Geez I barely got it cleaned up.....gimme a second. 🤣
    knitepoet said:
    SWEET looking 19 <3<3<3
    You suck!!!
    Thanks!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,075 Senior Member
    I've got a 19-4, 2 3/4" nickel.  Perfect shape, a sock drawer gun.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Gene L said:

I'll take it....LOL

Gene L said:
    Oh wow! Must be unruly socks!
    Weatherby said:
    Gene L said:

I'll take it....LOL

Last smith you don’t own huh?