Home Main Category Clubhouse

Great movie "They Shall Never Grow Old"

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,755 Senior Member
I'm not one for going to the movie theater but I was glad I went to see this one. Its a documentary about the life of a WW I British soldier. They have taken all to grainy, off speed, silent films and used computer technology to remake them! It was fantastic and a must see! 
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #3
    I saw it this past week and it was FANTASTIC, an absolute must see. It's not so much a war story as it is the experience of the average WWI grunt coming to life. It's truly a human interest piece whether you're interested in WWI or not.  

Peter Jackson pulled out all the stops to make sure this was as accurate as possible. For the colorization they went so far as to compare actual period uniforms (right down to the correct regiment), and photograph the actual spots where the footage came from. They didn't stop there, however, and to make the dialogue from the old silent films as accurate as possible they hired professional lip readers.

I can't say enough good things about this film, and I hope it becomes available for purchase. I'm extra grateful for the crews' extraordinary efforts to portray it as accurately as possible, and to preserve the story of this important part of history.

IMO this film deserves to be preserved at the Library of Congress. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    Well, almost a year later, it's made it onto one of the cable networks and I just saw it.

Yeah. . .Peter Jackson gets it.  I want to buy that man a beer.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee