Home Main Category General Firearms

Remington Model 700 ADL Synthetic in .243 Winchester

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,394 Senior Member
edited December 2018 in General Firearms #1
OK we've beat ADL Synthetics up and down and all around. This one was made about 2013. We always beat them up for having thin plastic stocks that sound hollow and bad triggers and bad fit and finish in general. But this one is pretty solid.

And believe it or not I kinda like the stock. It's pretty solid. It doesn't feel or sound as hollow and cheap as some others I have. One thing about the ADL Synthetic is it doesn't have a magazine cut out so it's a little more solid in the midsection.

It could use a Timney Trigger but the stock X Mark Pro ain't half bad since Dwight worked on it. It's about 4 pounds but it's crisp and no creep. I may get a Timney later but for now it's more than passable. I don't think anybody on this forum would shy away from this rifle for a hunt or two and with this VX-3i 3.5-10X40 on it it's a pretty nice rig. I plan on bringing it to the SE Shoot next time with plenty of ammo so some can shoot it.

Anybody else got a cheap rifle they like?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #2
    I have one like that in 06 that's a respectable shooter. I have 2 ADL Synthetics and one SPS. All are shooters. All have had trigger work I haven't bedded the .243 yet. I'm anxious to bed it in and see how it shoots.

One problem I have with my .30-06 is that the bolt release sticks. The spring is too weak and if you open the bolt sometimes it comes out. The release doesn't hold the bolt stop in the receiver. You have to pull down on the release to get it to hold the bolt in. If there's one feature about the 700 I don't like it's the Bolt Stop-Release.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,335 Senior Member
    The plastic stock on my Rem700 Moutain gun is cheap and flimsy. Its sighted in for the old Federal 180gr hydroshok ammo. I get two moa or so. It could do better with a better stock or more ammo trials. The dead elk that made it in my freezer never minded.
    The plastic stock on my Rem700 Moutain gun is cheap and flimsy. Its sighted in for the old Federal 180gr hydroshok ammo. I get two moa or so. It could do better with a better stock or more ammo trials. The dead elk that made it in my freezer never minded.
    Early, my .22-250 and my .30-06 were pretty flimsy, but someone on here suggested filling them with that spray insulation to fill cracks around windows and such. I drilled a couple of holes, one at the toe of the stock and one on the forend. and filled them with this foam insulation. It didn't add much to the weight and made them much more ridged. I didn't have to do that to this newer one, because I think some of the newer ones are made a little thicker. But like I've said here before, even if your stock seems flimsy if you bed it good around the lug and firm the midsection up with epoxy and relieve the barrel well, it shouldn't make a lot of difference in accuracy. My Stevens 200 in .223 Remington was ultra flimsy so I relieved it and bedded it. It made a difference and is not near as flexible now.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    A couple ideas, Snake ol buddy.
    The 06.  Check to make sure that there is clearance for the bolt release.  Or grind some material out of the stock there.  They are notorious for binding against the stock, and causing trouble.

Triggers.  There are some awesome triggers out there, that aren't Timney.  And much cheaper.  Rifle Basix are awesome triggers, and $125.  There's no way I'd pay a Smith to work on a X Mark, when you can replace it for $125.
    Then there's Triggertech.  Absolutely awesome.  I'd be hard pressed to say that Jewell makes a better 1 lb trigger.  

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,335 Senior Member
    Snake, Im gonna fixer' up eventually.⏰
    edited December 2018 #7
    jbohio said:
    The 06.  Check to make sure that there is clearance for the bolt release.  Or grind some material out of the stock there.  They are notorious for binding against the stock, and causing trouble.

Triggers.  There are some awesome triggers out there, that aren't Timney.  And much cheaper.  Rifle Basix are awesome triggers, and $125.  There's no way I'd pay a Smith to work on a X Mark, when you can replace it for $125.
    Then there's Triggertech.  Absolutely awesome.  I'd be hard pressed to say that Jewell makes a better 1 lb trigger.  

Joe, the release binds even out of the stock. As for the X Mark Pro, different strokes for different folks but my smith charged me like $40 to clean out the gunk it was assembled with and hone the surfaces and do whatever adjustments he did. It's hard to beat that.

I've dealt with Rifle Basix a couple times and like 'em. If I go with and aftermarket trigger it will probably be him. That guy is very accommodating and knowledgeable. I have a Rifle Basix on my Savage 110 7 mag. and a Savage Mark 2 22 LR bolt gun.  I sometimes use Timney to refer to an aftermarket trigger like some people use Coke to refer to any soda.

Since these are purely hunting guns I don't need a 1 lb trigger. But I may put a lighter trigger on my .22-250. It's also a 700 ADL Synthetic that has that stupid lock device on the bolt and I'm thinking of retriggering it and having that lock device removed. Ive heard it slows the lock time which a fast lock time is a feature of a 700. Screw that!
  • SmithCorona03A3SmithCorona03A3 Member Posts: 138 Member
    jbohio said:
    The 06.  Check to make sure that there is clearance for the bolt release.  Or grind some material out of the stock there.  They are notorious for binding against the stock, and causing trouble.....

Just a couple ideas to add to that, if'n you haven't eliminated them, check to make sure that the forward trigger housing pin hasn't been seated too far to the left side of the gun. Its directly in line with the channel that the bolt stop/release rides in. If that's not it, make sure there's no burr in the actual channel in the receiver. I've seen some pretty rough machining in some base-model 700s. If all else fails, maybe the spring itself can be "loaded up" a little by tweaking it carefully
    Formerly known as SmithCorona03A3, back in the old forum days
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,979 Senior Member
    Or, take the bolt catch out, lay it flat on a file, and smooth/polish the crap out of both sides. Then, polish the edges. 

Re-install. 

Voila. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SmithCorona03A3SmithCorona03A3 Member Posts: 138 Member
    That too ;)
    Formerly known as SmithCorona03A3, back in the old forum days
    Zee said:
    Or, take the bolt catch out, lay it flat on a file, and smooth/polish the crap out of both sides. Then, polish the edges. 

Re-install. 

Voila.
    I haven't checked it out yet, it just felt like it had low spring tension. But what y'all. say makes sense, that maybe it isn't the spring but the release itself dragging on the sides. Makes sense and I'll check it out. I thought the spring was the culprit because it worked great for several years but then a few months back I noticed it wasn't working right, like the spring got rusty and broke or something. But maybe the release itself is corroded and dragging. Thanks for the heads up.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    snake284 said: It's also a 700 ADL Synthetic that has that stupid lock device on the bolt and I'm thinking of retriggering it and having that lock device removed. Ive heard it slows the lock time which a fast lock time is a feature of a 700. Screw that!
    I'd be interested to see what you think, after having that lock removed.
    Me too Joe, I'm just going by what I've heard. But if it slows it down it can't help accuracy. If I do that I'll definitely post a range report.
    edited January 2019 #14
    Actually, thinking about the kind of hunting I do, I could probably use a 1 pound trigger for hunting. I don't walk around stalking game. I'm no slick stealthy creature. I make noise when I walk. I'm not dainty or petite. And being 70 years old I'm not into long winded excursions. I like to situate my deer blind on a hot game trail on something like the sendero on my last lease and sit stationary waiting him out. Actually, this technique has produced more deer for me and better deer than stalking. My ancestral history shows I'm kin to Danial Boone, but I'm NOT Danial Boone. And seeing it's a .243 it could use the accuracy potential. It and my .22-250 both could.  We'll see.