Closest shot on game?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,761 Senior Member

Why not?

I had a 6 pt. whitetail buck walk up on me once.  It was so close I almost couldn't see it through a 4x scope.  It was probably no more than 10 yards away.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,015 Senior Member
    40 yards.  Just kept on getting closer, and closer and did not give a shot until it was that close
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,939 Senior Member
    I'm guessing around 80 yards. First deer. Didn't have LRFs back then, and the terrain was too rough to accurately pace.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 4,230 Senior Member
    Mule deer doe, 10 feet.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,369 Senior Member
    10 feet...with a bow, right out the back door of my hide...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,434 Senior Member
    27 feet, with a bow
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,121 Senior Member
    Under 20 yards
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 238 Member
    We have lots of opportunities here, my closest was jumping a big doe out of her bed and shooting her in the head from 1 foot with a slug- she scared the crap out of me and it was almost a self defense shooting, we do lots of deer driving and as a stander I have poked smaller passing deer with my shotgun barrel. 
    Just a few weeks ago I had a 100lb spike buck look into my blind window about 2 feet from my rifle barrel- I heard him walking and the rifle was at the ready, he got a pass.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    Maybe 25 yards at a jackal with a .35 whelen driving a 250gr at 2500 fps.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,028 Senior Member
    Do varmints count??  I plinked a groundhog with a 12 ga from about 5 ft one evening out behind the barn.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,049 Senior Member
    10 feet with a deer.

A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 9,071 Senior Member
    A few years back i shot a large hog from about 6 feet.  He came out from under some palmeto trees and scared the bejeezes out of me.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,706 Senior Member
    The last muley buck i shot in Colorado ,I was on a jeep trail high above Idaho Springs, got out of the jeep to glass some open fields below me,when i turned to get back in the jeep i saw a doe and buck bedded down against some pine trees, they just looked at me as i got my rifle and stepped across the trail and shot the buck, they weren't more than 25 feet from me.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,286 Senior Member
    Had a dove fly almost down the barrel of my Mossberg this last opener.  I think he hit the ground less than ten yards away.

Otherwise, 70 yards on Bambi.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,681 Senior Member
    I once caught a squirrel by the tail and twice had a wabbit run between my legs. However I let them get  near 10 yards away before shooting so they didn't get gutted by so many #4 pellets....

I let the squirrel go. It was young....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,563 Senior Member
    I shot a squirrel with a bow inside of 10 yards.  Black bear with a smoothbore flintlock at 12 yards is a close second.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,251 Senior Member
    Does a knife count?  I’ve killed both deer and pigs with a knife. 

Otherwise, a contact shot with a pistol on a pig. Meaning, I tackled the pig, drew a pistol and shot him. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 9,071 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Otherwise, a contact shot with a pistol on a pig. Meaning, I tackled the pig, drew a pistol and shot him. 

Wish you had a video of that.
    How big?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 4,230 Senior Member
    Zee, you're extremely tuff!

A few seasons back I grabbed a downed elk by the head to cut its throat. Im very lucky I wasn't injured, and I let go and resorted to my reloaded Hawken rifle.

Im not doubting your experience. When I grabbed that elk, her power was overwhelming to me. A hog or deer must be nearly as strong.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,028 Senior Member
    Sitting on a tree stump wearing total camoflage and skunk scent had a small buck come out about 15 yards up the clearing. I shot him in the shoulder. He ran about 50 yards and I found him just across a small creek. I had one closer then that, like 5 yards out the door of a blind, he was a 10 point. I shot him out the window of the blind but never found him.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Diver43 said:
    Zee said:

Wish you had a video of that.
    How big?
    Maybe 150-175. 

The one I wish was on video was the one we killed with a tire iron. Think I’ve told that story before. 
    edited January 1 #22

A few seasons back I grabbed a downed elk by the head to cut its throat. Im very lucky I wasn't injured, and I let go and resorted to my reloaded Hawken rifle.

Im not doubting your experience. When I grabbed that elk, her power was overwhelming to me. A hog or deer must be nearly as strong.
    An elk has considerably longer legs. That’s the danger. Same with deer. Aside from the horns, the legs will beat the crap out of ya. 

Pigs are short legged. Once they are on their stomach or side, they are easy to keep down. Just stay away from the teeth. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,015 Senior Member
    Zee said:

An elk has considerably longer legs. That’s the danger. Same with deer. Aside from the horns, the legs with beat the crap out of ya. 

My buddy that roped a deer and had it beat his *** can attest to this.  As he said, it stomped a mud hole in his butt
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,121 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Always looking for an excuse to cuddle... B)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,521 Senior Member
    Hower high my tree stand was.  15 feet? A buck came out of the thicket, quietly.  Before I got sorted out, he was right underneath me.  I sent a 385gr sabot slug, via 12 ga, right between his shoulder blades.  Center punched his heart, out through his brisket..  Best blood trail ever, for the 30 yards he made it.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,939 Senior Member
    My Dad killed a whitetail with a pair of Channel Locks.

I'll never be the man he was.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,294 Senior Member
    My Dad killed a whitetail with a pair of Channel Locks.

I'll never be the man he was.

Mike
    Used as they were designed or used as a hammer?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,294 Senior Member
    Probably 20-30 feet.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,028 Senior Member
    edited January 2 #29
    NN said: 
    10 feet with a deer.

You killed a deer with a deer? Dayem!  You're gonna have to tell me that story face to face at the next SE Shoot.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,369 Senior Member
    edited January 2 #30
    I tried to kill a deer with a tomahawk.....deer kicked my ass..

You ever grab hold of something and wonder " What the hell am I gonna do now?".
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,521 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I tried to kill a deer with a tomahawk.....deer kicked my ass...
    Hehehe.  I'd like to hear that story sometime.