Closest shot on game?

2»

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    edited January 2 #32
    Zee said:
    Does a knife count?  I’ve killed both deer and pigs with a knife. 

Otherwise, a contact shot with a pistol on a pig. Meaning, I tackled the pig, drew a pistol and shot him. 

Which pistol?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    .22 LR 1911
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Billy_BuddBilly_Budd Posts: 575 Senior Member
    Do bunnies count? Lol! 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,727 Senior Member
    edited January 2 #35
    A friend and I were hunting a river bottom. He shot a deer right on the edge of a shallow river. The deer crossed the channel and went to an island in the middle of the river. We went to retrieve the deer. While he was field dressing it I was going back for the truck and followed a trial through some thick cover. Almost to the river a nice buck jumped up in the trail about 3 yards in front of me. I drew my Ruger 32 mag single six, cocked and fired without thinking about it. Presto a second dead deer, that I had a tag for.....The bullet shattered a vertebrae in its neck just below the head. my friend saw the whole thing and said it was something to see and still talks about it 12 years later. It was in the height of my CAS shooting days. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,482 Senior Member
    My Dad killed a whitetail with a pair of Channel Locks.

I'll never be the man he was.

Mike

Ok Mike.  There's a story there.  Share, please.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    It's like that Chijuajua dog chasing that Grey Hound Bus, what the hell's he gonna do with it when he catches it?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Why not?

I had a 6 pt. whitetail buck walk up on me once.  It was so close I almost couldn't see it through a 4x scope.  It was probably no more than 10 yards away.

I can remember when a 4x scope looked amazing to me. Come to think of it, within a 100-150 yards it still is.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Zee said:
    Zee, you're extremely tuff!

A few seasons back I grabbed a downed elk by the head to cut its throat. Im very lucky I wasn't injured, and I let go and resorted to my reloaded Hawken rifle.

Im not doubting your experience. When I grabbed that elk, her power was overwhelming to me. A hog or deer must be nearly as strong.
    An elk has considerably longer legs. That’s the danger. Same with deer. Aside from the horns, the legs will beat the crap out of ya. 

Pigs are short legged. Once they are on their stomach or side, they are easy to keep down. Just stay away from the teeth. 
    And the tusks. They will rip you wide open.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    jbohio said:
    Jayhawker said:
    I tried to kill a deer with a tomahawk.....deer kicked my ass...
    Hehehe.  I'd like to hear that story sometime.
    Back in my buckskinning days, I was working night shift...I was traveling back roads on my way to work in my International Scout and this little forkhorn buck came up out of the ditch and ran right into the right front fender, knocking himself silly...
    Figured I would finish him off and take him home. The only tool I had in the truck that was suitable for the task was a tomahawk that I used for throwing competitions. The buck is laying on the edge of the road, moving around weakly. I move in for the kill, grab an antler and prepare to deliver a round house...... that's when he woke up...It was at that point I ignored the little voice in the back of my head said "Just let go dumbass!"  

So there we are...in the middle of dark country road...me hanging on to an antler with one hand and hacking away at him with the other....He was avoiding every swing I made and was kicking the crap out of me in the process....at some point we both went down and I lost my grip on his antler, which turned out to be the best thing that had happened up to that point.

The deer took off and sailed over a barb wire fence...my shirt and jeans were in shreds, I was bleeding from a couple of places and when I got home to change clothes I had an amazing array of bruises.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Zee said:

A few seasons back I grabbed a downed elk by the head to cut its throat. Im very lucky I wasn't injured, and I let go and resorted to my reloaded Hawken rifle.

Im not doubting your experience. When I grabbed that elk, her power was overwhelming to me. A hog or deer must be nearly as strong.
    An elk has considerably longer legs. That’s the danger. Same with deer. Aside from the horns, the legs will beat the crap out of ya. 

Pigs are short legged. Once they are on their stomach or side, they are easy to keep down. Just stay away from the teeth. 
    Thems are teeth. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Well, if semi-road kills count, killed a doe with a pocketknife
    She ran into the rear corner-panel of the ambulance I was driving. I stopped and turned around, she was laying in the middle of the road, head up, looking around.
    I parked, walked up behind her, stabbed into the side of her neck and cut forward with my Benchmade
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Zee said:
    snake284 said:
    Zee said:

And the tusks. They will rip you wide open.Well
    Zee said:
    snake284 said:
    Zee said:

Thems are teeth. 
    Well yeah I guess but not in the usual sense. The stick out where they can do some real damage without the hog trying. Around here Teeth is Teeth and Tusks is Tusks. Whatever ya call em, you don't want to get in their way.
    Back to the original subject, when I was a kid on a Boy Scout deer hunt on a big ranch around here one kid was in a tree blind and shot a spike directly under him with a .243. The deer died immediately if not sooner.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Closest shot on deer was a tie. 2 different deer, 2 different places.
    1st was in very thick bush. stalking very quietly and slowly.......took me an hour to cover about 60yds as I could smell deer..........as i came around a thick bush I saw the front legs of a deer on the other side. Range was so close I didnt even bother with the scope, just slowly eased the rifle forward, looked along the side the barrel and lined up on the base of the head/top of the neck. Muzzle was about 18" away when I squeezed the trigger.

2nd one I was literally hugging a tree when a buck walked past the other side and stopped.......didnt even raise the rifle, just pointed from the 'gun down position'  flicked the safety off and hit the trigger. Buck fell sideways and landed at my feet.

Just got back from 8 days goat culling. Returning from sitting over a pile of dead goat carcases on the quad when we saw a possum on a dead tree. Didnt have a rifle as I was 'spotlight man'.
    Grabbed the Gerber machete from its holder and keeping the tree between us I closed into hand to hand combat range. Could just see his ears poking from the side of the trunk so slowly moved around till I could see the top of his head and gave a swing. Hit bone and fur flew, knocked him off his perch into the long grass. Saw him a few minutes later climbing up a tree about 10 m away sporting his new Mohawk haircut and moving like a drunken sailor.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    jbohio said:
    Jayhawker said:
    I tried to kill a deer with a tomahawk.....deer kicked my ass...
    Hehehe.  I'd like to hear that story sometime.
    Back in my buckskinning days, I was working night shift...I was traveling back roads on my way to work in my International Scout and this little forkhorn buck came up out of the ditch and ran right into the right front fender, knocking himself silly...
    Figured I would finish him off and take him home. The only tool I had in the truck that was suitable for the task was a tomahawk that I used for throwing competitions. The buck is laying on the edge of the road, moving around weakly. I move in for the kill, grab an antler and prepare to deliver a round house...... that's when he woke up...It was at that point I ignored the little voice in the back of my head said "Just let go dumbass!"  

So there we are...in the middle of dark country road...me hanging on to an antler with one hand and hacking away at him with the other....He was avoiding every swing I made and was kicking the crap out of me in the process....at some point we both went down and I lost my grip on his antler, which turned out to be the best thing that had happened up to that point.

The deer took off and sailed over a barb wire fence...my shirt and jeans were in shreds, I was bleeding from a couple of places and when I got home to change clothes I had an amazing array of bruises.
    A college buddy knew a guy who considered himself a "1-shot hunter."  That is, he would only take one shot, no matter what. One time, this guy apparently dropped a deer that needed finishing but refused my buddy's pistol to do the job.  Instead, he wandered into some heavy brush where the deer went down armed with only his hunting knife.

Apparently, the screams of both man and deer were indistinguishable in the ruckus that ensued.  Mr. One-shot came out of the bush with a dead deer and an amazing array of cuts-n-bruises .
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I don't go into hand to hand (hand to hoof, hand to paw, whatever) combat with any wild animal. Wild animals are strong by nature. If you could teach a deer to box like a Kangaroo he'd whip a man's ass. They are strong and fast. I ain't fightin' one, no way!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    About 5 yards with bow, and probably 20 yards with a rifle.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    By my guesstimated memory, maybe 35-40yds or so
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    I shot a squirrel at 1 inch from the gun muzzle.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,109 Senior Member
    Was there anything left of the squirrel? Or was the gun a .270 and you got bounce back?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Just missing the head-----I don't eat the brains anyway.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
2»