Fillinv the Freezer.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,604 Senior Member
edited January 5 in Hunting #1
My Rancher Friend needed to fill his freezer as he only had 2 packs of meat left. And he only eats Axis Deer. 

We’ve been trying for a couple days to get a shot at a Spike Buck. I’ve been trying to convince him to do what we do every day. Our normal feeding routine. But, he has been trying to be different and the deer have been wise to us. 

Today, we followed the play book, and my idea, and did everything like normal. 

As we were here putting out the feed, the deer started coming out of the brush, including the spike we were after. 

After the feed, we set up on his front drive. Using his “mobile” shooting bench as a rest. The spike came out of the brush and moved up to the corn. Trouble was, my friend was facing the setting sun.

The bright sun was blinding in his eye. He couldn’t see. So, I held his hat in front to keep the glare off his face. Helped a little, but didn’t fix the glare in the scope. So, I had to step forward and put his hat in front of the scope to block the glare and use my body shadow to block the brightness in his eye. 

Trouble was, his head was down and was about to walk out of sight behind some brush.

“I don’t have a shot.”

I whistled.  The spike lifted his head and look to his left. 

“Now you do.”

Pppppssssshhhhhtttttt!!!!”

A 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip went through his neck at 80 yards and it was over. 

Rarher effective. 

The exit. 

And Jerm gets another Axis Hide for his house. Since he asked. 

For celebeation, we had deer heart and balls. 

It was stellar. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,200 Senior Member
    Those pelts are going in my cabin. Now I guess I got to actually build the cabin. Damn you!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,657 Senior Member
    Those pelts are going in my cabin. Now I guess I got to actually build the cabin. Damn you!
    Enabling at its finest

Well done Zee, I saw a spotter do that with a kevlar helmet as they protected us on the Port of Somalia as we unloaded food during Provide Comfort.

Does Axis deer taste different than other deer ?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,842 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:

Yes, and to me it tastes better
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,604 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:

It’s a sweeter/richer flavor than whitetail and a deeper red in color. 

Axis and Blackbuck are all I have in my freezer currently as well. I gave the two whitetail my boy shot this season to other people.  
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,919 Senior Member
    That deer had 4 balls? 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    That deer had 4 balls? 
    Ha!

No, I still had two hearts and 4 balls from two deer last weekend. Sitting in the fridge. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    That deer had 4 balls? 
    Ha!

No, I still had two hearts and 4 balls from two deer last weekend. Sitting in the fridge. 
    Ya know. . .there's something a little Temple of Doom / Last of the Mohicans about this kid. . . :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    We got two whitetail culls this evening for some other folks to put in their freezer. 

Two spikes. 

My friend used a custom Savage in .223 Remington and 52gr hollow point bullets. 

The first spike was 140 yards away through the back of the neck. 

The second buck was at 155 yards. First shot was face on and through the.....well.....face. The shot knocked him down but, a few seconds later, he was up standing. So, my friend put another through the base of his ear. With a resounding “pop” he was down for good. 

52gr hollow points just don’t have the penetration capability. Especially with a skull. 

No round exited on either deer. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,269 Senior Member
    You guy's do anything with the antlers off those spikes?

Sako
    Sometimes I cut them off. This time I just left them on and the folks came and picked up the gutted deer. 
    If your not doing anything with the antlers and would be interested in selling a few, they would work nicely for some of these little knives I've been building.

👍🏻

I have a pretty good collection of scrub antlers. Could probably send you some. 
    Zee said:
    👍🏻

I have a pretty good collection of scrub antlers. Could probably send you some. 
    If you'd be so inclined, let me know what you need for them.

Sako
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,342 Senior Member
    Very nicely done!  Do axis nuts taste at all like cashews?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Not that I’m aware. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    edited January 7 #17

I'm here to tell you a 52 grain HP will kill white tail deer all day long. I've used Speers in both .223s I owned and my .22-250. I haven't personally killed any with 52 g HP but it's been done with my guns. I have killed with it but not 52 HP. I always used Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzers.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    That deer had 4 balls? 
    Ha!

If a deer has 4 balls, you got to let him walk.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06