Bird shot for home defense

Replies

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    LOL! Reaching for the pistol and touching the cats belly would be/could be interesting. Trying to fend off an intruder while simultaneously having one hand sliced by a bunch of razor blades! It would be safer to just throw the cat in the intruder's face and watch the show!
    I am thinking you are not familiar with the Norwegian Forest Cat breed.  My brother had one.  The only way you are going to throw one of those cats is with a trebuchet.  Not even a cat-apult would throw one far (see what I did there?)  :D
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 924 Senior Member
    Used to have a Nebelung (well it was my parents, but for quite a few years we lived in the same house) that at his biggest was about 18 pounds.  When he had to be put down (failing health) he was somewhere right around 20 years old and was down to 16 pounds.  No claws but he had one hell of a right paw hit.  Accurate, fast, and hit with authority.  If he had claws I know quite a few people and a dog that would have been missing a fair bit of flesh.  I do miss the ****.  

Very close in size and build to a Maine ****, so I would have to assume also slightly smaller than a Norwegian Forest Cat.
    A mere diversionary throw-cat it is not.......
    The fox looks a little scared.....
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    My first line of defense if someone tries to break in is our 120 lb mastiff and the 60 lb. husky, that sleep in the main part of the house, 2ed line is the 90 lb. German Shepard that sleeps in the bedroom, all 3 tend to wake up at any strange noise then comes me with a 12ga 18" bbl Mossberg loaded with #6 shot, a 44 spc. and 45 apc, if they get thru all that Jen has a 38/357 and a 41 mag. 

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    edited January 11 #36
    Since it often depends on inflection or where the comma lies, maybe the actual headline is "BIRD SHOT for home defense"

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    I am thinking you are not familiar with the Norwegian Forest Cat breed.  My brother had one.  The only way you are going to throw one of those cats is with a trebuchet.  Not even a cat-apult would throw one far (see what I did there?)  :D
    Not familiar with them, but I am familiar with the Maine C.o.o.n cat. And my last cat, Squeaky, a tiger stripe orange short hair varied between 17 and 19 pounds his entire adult life. He was a BIG cat. He got the moniker 'Squeaky' because his meow all his life was always a kitten squeak. He was pretty long, too. When he'd pile up on my lap in the recliner and stretch out, his butt would be at my belt and his head resting on my ankles. I've seen him whoop a few dogs that had the audacity to try getting too familiar with him. Just a blur of orange fur and flashing daggers!  :D
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Nearest we could figure out he was a Nebelung.

Up until the last couple weeks he was still running around like a kitten and being chatty.  Only cat I have had "conversations" with, but he almost always got the last word in.

Very smart and didnt like people that didnt "belong"at the house.  Both houses he was in were very much his house.  If someone was moving around outside the house you would know due to the noises he would make and how he would run from window to window looking for who or what ever didnt belong there.
    edited January 12 #39
    Norwegian Forest Cat and Maine C.o.o.n are very similar.  My late brother's cat was named Brisco, but he was so heavy my brother called him Crisco.  My brother's widow still has him here in Florida, he gets shaved every summer so he doesn't overheat.  Looking at him you think he is all fur until you shave 5 lbs. of fur off and discover there is still 15 lbs. of very solid cat left underneath.  His personality is so mellow he will lay there and let me shave him with electric clippers with very little complaint.  Not a real good picture of him, but this was him in my brother's lap in 2007.  Judging by the size of his head you can get an idea of how massive he is.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    That's a BIG kitty.

Mine, Lucky, is a svelte 14# "cowardly lioness"
    She'll normally come out for adults (or the teen grandkids) but when the youngest 4 (10 to 3) are here, she stays in our room 99% of the time. So much that we move her "stuff" in our room too
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    I KNEW there were more cat lovers here than admitted to!
    I want a Serval for home defense.  Even without claws (I dont believe that a breeder is allowed to sell them unless they have been declawed) its still a big cat with big paws having some weight behind them.  They still have big teeth as well.

pictures from internet 

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    I want a Serval for home defense.  Even without claws (I dont believe that a breeder is allowed to sell them unless they have been declawed) its still a big cat with big paws having some weight behind them.  They still have big teeth as well.

pictures from internet 

THAT has to be an interesting cat pan.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Michakav said:
    I KNEW there were more cat lovers here than admitted to!
    I've admitted it many times before :p
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,543 Senior Member
    At the risk of saying something that I probably shouldn't, ask JerryBobCo what taking a far from centermass hit from a load of birdshot is like. Should he decide to respond I think it would put an end to this discussion.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Of course, this could then morph into a "Best throwcat" thread. That'd be cool.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    hijackedHey!  We had this thread nicely hijacked into a throw cat thread!  Why you gotta bring up the original subject again?  hide
    edited January 13 #48
    It's my job, dude.

Not saying I like it.

BTW......have you ever hit a throwcat with a load of birdshot?

Now.....that'd be interesting and the variations endless.

Mike

KSU Firefighter
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,553 Senior Member
    At the risk of saying something that I probably shouldn't, ask JerryBobCo what taking a far from centermass hit from a load of birdshot is like. Should he decide to respond I think it would put an end to this discussion.

Mike

About 20 years ago, I got hit with a load of #6 birdshot from a 20 gauge at a distance of about 20 yards.  The shot hit me in my lower left leg and immediately knocked me down.  It took out 2 arteries that ran to my foot, as well as a tendon.  If it weren't for friends near by who didn't lose their heads, and me guiding them in first aid, I probably would just be a memory.

I was in 3 different hospitals in the next 24 hours, spent 4-5 hours in surgery, flat lined 3 or 4 times and was life lighted to a critical care unit in Colorado Springs.  I spent a week in the  hospital, and still have a slight limp and very ugly scar.  Several member of this forum have seen it.   I was also laid up for 6 weeks afterward with a nurse coming in twice a day to change my bandages.  I'm lucky to still have my leg.

Had the shot hit center of mass, I would definitely be dead.  I have no doubt of that.

You can say what you want, but I KNOW what getting hit with a load a birdshot can do.

One last thing, this business of people getting shot and then fighting is total BS.  All I could do was lay on the ground while others attended to me.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    edited January 14 #50
    JerryBobCo said:

One last thing, this business of people getting shot and then fighting is total BS.  All I could do was lay on the ground while others attended to me.
    Interesting that I know several who have been shot and kept fighting. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • das68das68 Posts: 661 Senior Member
    edited January 14 #51
    Zee said:
    JerryBobCo said:

all are different
    encountered both.

History is littered with wars which everybody knew would never happen.

Enoch Powell

Zee said:
    JerryBobCo said:

Well, all I can say is don't try it for yourself to find out.
    Jerry

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,220 Senior Member
    JBC-- Didn't we warn you about hunting with Dick Cheney?

one or two of us who take a hit

may stop and do an in the field self wound assessment

just to check on bullet performance

some may not

Enoch Powell

NN said:

NN said:

xxxxxType your comment

makes no sense

eh Marine
    you've broke it
    Sir.

Enoch Powell

das68 said:

one or two of us who take a hit

may stop and do an in the field self wound assessment

just to check on bullet performance

some may not

I think you may have just won the internet. :)
    Jerry

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,176 Senior Member
    edited January 14 #57
    Here's an interesting:

Bill Allard confronted an armed robber in a market and shouted the command, “Police! Drop your weapon!” The gunman swung on Allard, who shot the gunman in the chest with a blast of 00 buckshot from his 14-inch-barreled Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge shotgun. The man jerked back away from him, still wielding the gun, and Allard pumped another blast of 00 buckshot through his thorax. The gunman was still up and running. -- Personal Defense World
    https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/10/5-gunfighting-myths-debunked-massad-ayoob/

Every situation is different.

Now about that tactical throw cat..... Is there a preferred hurling method?

Simply toss it, claws facing the enemy or swing it by the tail like a medieval chain mace?

Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    Spk said:
    Here's an interesting:

Bill Allard confronted an armed robber in a market and shouted the command, “Police! Drop your weapon!” The gunman swung on Allard, who shot the gunman in the chest with a blast of 00 buckshot from his 14-inch-barreled Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge shotgun. The man jerked back away from him, still wielding the gun, and Allard pumped another blast of 00 buckshot through his thorax. The gunman was still up and running. -- Personal Defense World
    https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/10/5-gunfighting-myths-debunked-massad-ayoob/

Every situation is different.

Now about that tactical throw cat..... Is there a preferred hurling method?

Simply toss it, claws facing the enemy or swing it by the tail like a medieval chain mace?

If you have a Norwegian weighing about 12 lbs or better, simply toss a large handful of Friskies Temptations along your perps anticipated path. That'll gain you enough time to fire 2-5 rounds from your shotgun. That should suffice.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    My back half of the house tactical cat is less of a Tactical Throw Cat and more of a Tactical Foot Snare Cat.  The TFSC is really stealthy about getting under and around your feet and tripping you up, inevitably to a great deal of injury or death unless you know how to defeat it.  Be wary though, there is minimal warning sign of your impending doom unless you are prepared for it.

The front half of the house tactical cat is a "low yield" TTC.  She is a true TTC in delivery method, but lacks the primary warhead that a full power TTC would have.  Dont be fooled though, the main warhead she is equipped with will produce many small punctures that will leave an evidence trail.  I have only activated this warhead once, on accident, and I managed to get away with only a couple hits from it.  It hits hard and fast and produces multiple punctures that go deep.  I think she likes the taste of blood as well.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,599 Senior Member
    You guys crack me up!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."