Finally! Idaho has a tree squirrel season

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,735 Senior Member
I missed this earlier in the hunt regs. Idaho has not had a squirrel season since before I moved up here 11 years ago. They are everywhere, so I'm not sure why there was no season. 

Anyway, this gives me something to chase while setting traps. 

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/2018-red-squirrel-seasons-rules.pdf
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,606 Senior Member
    Dig out those old recipies!🍴
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,546 Senior Member
    Good deal! You're gonna love that!

I'm 60 years old, been hunting for 54 of them, and can't recall a case of buck fever against any big game animal in any of them. But squirrels are a whole different matter. They make me shakey stupid from dawn on opening day till dusk on closing day.

I used a shotgun of various bores until I was almost 40. Then I switched to a Ruger 10/22T with a Leupold 4-12 VXII stoked with CCI 39 grain MiniMag HP's. Whole 'nother level! 

I've shot my fair share of big game, but truthfully, nothing fires me up as much as tree-rats with a .22 rimfire, bunnies ahead of beagles with a 20 gauge, or pass shooting wood ducks with whatever shotgun is in hand.

Enjoy you new squirrel season!

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,351 Senior Member
    It's bizarre that they closed that season, but whatever...you've got it back!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,669 Senior Member
    Good news, have fun
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Post up when you get enough hides for a hat or a jacket:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member

What kind of squirrels?  If they're the little grey ones that live on pine cones, I've found that they're not worth eating.

Just sayin'.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,735 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    That's going to be a task. :D

Does Mepp's  still trade tails for lures? 

Ayn Rand

What kind of squirrels?  If they're the little grey ones that live on pine cones, I've found that they're not worth eating.

Just sayin'.

They are the little grey ones that live on pine nuts. Never ate one before so I'll hafta judge that for myself. 

Ayn Rand
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,606 Senior Member
    Oh man I never ate one a those either. Be pickin' bones out of every bite if you get enough to fill a pot.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,546 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

Just sayin'.

They are the little grey ones that live on pine nuts. Never ate one before so I'll hafta judge that for myself. 
    I've eaten a ton of squirrel over the years. They all were pretty darn good regardless of what they'd been eating or the method by which they'd been cooked.

A trick I learned from an 89 YO lady who routinely shot a squirrel or two for her dinner (in season...out of season....didn't matter to her, and the game wardens would't touch her) was soak it over night in Coca-Cola. Not marinated, but covered in Coke. Rinse the cola off then cook it by your preferred method.

Mike

Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    I used to shoot squirrels in Missouri at my inlaws. We killed Grays and Red Fox Squirrles and they tasted great. That's some of the best eating game in the world in my opinion. However, there were no pine trees around their place. It was all Oaks, Hickory, Pecan, so they weren't exposed to a pine tar diet. However, I shot some in the East Texas Piney Woods and they were good too. However, if there's hard woods around they will eat nuts and acorns before pine cones and the East Texas Piney Woods have lots of hardwoods interspersed in the pines.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

I had no idea Mepps did this, I would have been awash in lures as a kid, dang.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,061 Senior Member
    edited January 10 #14
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

Yep....Mepps has been buying tails for decades...
    Here's the pertinent squirrel poop...

https://www.mepps.com/squirrel-tail/
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 937 Senior Member
    I love squirrel hunting and especially eating them. The grays are big around here and make good eating. The fox squirrels are the tough ones that I normally pass up. The only thing I hate is that I always seem to leave dang fir in the meat, no matter how well I skin them. Never found a solution to that.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    I've only tried to eat two of them.  That was enough.  They had a turpentine taste.  Of course, your mileage may vary.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,586 Senior Member
    I saw your thread, closed my eyes for a moment and had some wonderful memories come flooding back about squirrel seasons of the past.  My buddy and lived for opening day of squirrel season like we did deer season.  My Browning SA .22 lr was the best squirrel gun ever.  Light weight and deadly accurate.  

We got a point where we could skin and gut a squirrel in less than a minute.  A few tree rats, a little butter in frying pan, salt pepper and wala a wonderful dinner or lunch.  

I have no idea what happened.  A few years after I graduated HS we seemed to just stop squirrel hunting.  I have no idea thinking back on why, other than college, girls and other new shiny hobbies.  Since every tree on my ranch is a mesquite tree we don't have a single squirrel and I hadn't thought about squirrel hunting for decades.  My buddies ranch has plenty of hardwoods.  I may have to rethink some priorities this fall and break out the old Browning!

Congrats on your new squirrel season, enjoy the snot out of it! And thanks for releasing some wonderful memories!

Jeff
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    I grew up in S. Texas. As a kid I had access to a large pecan orchard. The owner also had cows so no rifles allowed. I carried a Mossberg 183 .410 bolt action. I remember popping a squirrel out of the air that was jumping from one tree to another. No witnesses to this epic event. :'(

Ayn Rand