Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Likely dismissal of Scot Israel of the Broward county Sheriffs Dept.

mosseybuckmosseybuck MemberPosts: 524 Senior Member
Gov. Ron DeSantis will likely dismiss Israel from the Sheriff's Dept. He should have been terminated immediately after the school shooting! He should have been charged with 17 counts of negligent homicide.
USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    Crazy at the moment.  Google is saying he was suspended today, but DeSantis' office denies the claim.  I for one sure hope he does.  I only know two Deputies personally, but neither of them have a good word to say about Isreal
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Good.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    About time they got rid of that arrogant slug!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Yup, done deal.  I have a new Sheriff 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Diver, hope the new sheriff is a LOT better than the old sheriff. The old one seemed to be more of a politician than a policeman.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Sheriff Tony has a strong background and several degrees that are related to his job.  I think he is going to be good for the department and county.  Do not know if it made national news, but when it was announced that Israel was relieved people cheered.  They cheered again when his replacement was named.
    Mr. Israel plans to fight the suspension, good luck with that.  Claims it was politically motivated because the NRA is behind the new Governor.  
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Somebody call the WHAAAAA-mulance...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #10
    Blame the NRA, the liberal fall back. Next he will try and blame  the Dingoes.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Under Florida law, the governor can suspend elected officials for criminal activity, misfeasance, incompetence or neglect of duty. Israel's lawyer, Stuart Kaplan, said this week the sheriff did nothing warranting removal and his future should be left to Broward voters in the 2020 election.

I was curious of the legality of removing an elected official by executive decree. The very last paragraph provided some insight. Fox did not mention if Israel will be getting paid while on suspension. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I think incompetence could be proved, if nothing else. Apparently, none of the responding officers at the shooting scene knew who was in charge, until Israel showed up at the first press conference to thank the heroes.

In fact, no policeman even saw the shooter, until he had changed his appearance, ditched the weapons, and strolled through a nearby Walmart and bought a drink at Subway, and entered and left from McDonald's. The only armed persons on the scene were the shooter and the police 'guard, who hid outside for 48 minutes and issued directions for setting up a perimeter that wasn't in place until after the shooter had departed the scene. A female lieutenant finally engaged enough to get the response under some semblance of control, but she was issuing orders based on video that she assumed was in real time, but actually was on a 20 minute delay.

The entire security plan was a joke, and still was not properly executed, due to poor leadership. all up and down the line.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    He also suspended a school superintendent in another county for the same reasons.
    https://weartv.com/news/local/desantis-suspends-okaloosa-county-superintendent

edited January 2019 #14
    The Sheriff and school board had an agreement not to pursue a lot of reports or take any action on possible dangerous individuals and some crimes when they should have because they wanted the school district to get a good rating and be eligible for more money.

The FBI dropped the ball on the shooter as did the SD and school board.

This sick little fruitcake could have and should have been flagged years earlier and gotten professional attention. Also banned from any weapons purchases.

And although my heart goes out to the families who child was murdered or wounded. Who pays the ultimate price.........we do as law abiding gun owners.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Andrew Pollack is on Fox right now. His daughter was killed. He said the Sheriff didn't want to put juveniles in the criminal justice system. Said some of that mindset came from Obammys leniency programs too. 
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

There's nothing new about school systems covering up violent student behavior.  The Nashville school system would not allow assault charges against students who attacked teachers to be filed unless the building principal signed off on the charges- - - -which they virtually never did unless a teacher was injured severely enough to require hospitalization and the news media got hold of the story.  In my 30-something years with that system, I was involved in three assault situations which should have gotten the kid arrested- - - - -didn't happen, and the teachers' association rep was actively involved in the coverup of all those incidents.  These happened back in the 1990's and 2000's.

Jerry

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #17
    I'm not taking up for Peterson, but Israel should have owned up to his share of the blame. He's a snake and a wimp.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I saw very few cops ever come to my schools and usually to pick up a JD (we had a couple) who did something over the weekend.

Unheard of to attack teachers back then.

Times have changed for the worse. No discipline in school and then as adults it continues.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Sheriff Tony has a strong background and several degrees that are related to his job.  I think he is going to be good for the department and county.  Do not know if it made national news, but when it was announced that Israel was relieved people cheered.  They cheered again when his replacement was named.
    Mr. Israel plans to fight the suspension, good luck with that.  Claims it was politically motivated because the NRA is behind the new Governor.  
    What idiots like Israel fail to grasp is the NRA is US, the American People.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #20
    bisley said:
    I think incompetence could be proved, if nothing else. Apparently, none of the responding officers at the shooting scene knew who was in charge, until Israel showed up at the first press conference to thank the heroes.

I agree with this, but I also think it must be proven and documented before suspension of an elected official. It is a power that could be easily abused for political reasons. "Incompetence" is a pretty subjective word.  

I am not defending Israel, but if the residents of Broward recalled his ass, it would sit better in my mind. The Superintendent mentioned above was suspended for knowledge of criminal activity and not reporting it. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Israel's pplicies all say "may"  Not will or shall not.That way his policies have an out.  Not arresting kids in school is another of his and school districts policies.  Those policies have gotten people killed
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    Teach said:

There's nothing new about school systems covering up violent student behavior.  The Nashville school system would not allow assault charges against students who attacked teachers to be filed unless the building principal signed off on the charges- - - -which they virtually never did unless a teacher was injured severely enough to require hospitalization and the news media got hold of the story.  In my 30-something years with that system, I was involved in three assault situations which should have gotten the kid arrested- - - - -didn't happen, and the teachers' association rep was actively involved in the coverup of all those incidents.  These happened back in the 1990's and 2000's.

Jerry

Public schools have been dysfunctional for years. The school administrators absolutely will not back up teacher in the event of trouble. My wife was a substitute teacher for a short time. Most of the classes she had the kids were mostly well behaved, but some of them had incredibly disruptive students. If teachers went to the principal for assistance with a disruptive student, their answer was "you handle it." My wife was only 5'2" up against boys that were much bigger in some cases. She eventually gave it up, because the job made her physically ill.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!