Home Main Category General Firearms

Photos of my new girl and her sisters

KMT2KMT2 MemberPosts: 360 Member
AS yall know I have purchased a new Ruger #1 in 450 Marlin. Which seems to be my go to caliber,  I have just picked this critter up and well she is a beauty.

Now I will be writing Ruger and discussing a few things that I have noticed. Some of the wood seems to have a fit and finish issue, but it will not be seen by anyone but me. It seems the older I get the more i look at the fine details in an expensive purchase. 
The wood is a great walnut and the bluing is very good. She is light and short as measured up to her Lever action sister they are the same length. She is a bit of a model , meaning light and has good curve appeal. 
Lets just say that the guys in the shop(Thank you Silver Bullet Firearms for the transaction and help) were handling her and very gentile of them. 
One of the sales men , which I have known for 30 years, i mentions that he was with me for every acquisition of my 450 marlins, either through a raffle , a charity auction or direct purchase. 

So without further adieu, the Ruger #1 and her Marlin sister and BFR sister!

The hand cast lead is a 330 hollow point and a 405 solid. 
If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.

Replies

• KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member
    NOw Jayhawker and Jerm will that keep me from having to pay a no picture post fine!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    nice
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    Yeah, that thing looks terrible. You need to let me take it off your hands. 
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    KMT2 said:
    NOw Jayhawker and Jerm will that keep me from having to pay a no picture post fine!
    Nice. Now if you could post it in the right forum!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    NICE! I have one with what looks like the same barrel length in .45-70. Corn fed mules kick less than it does with heavy loads of powder and heavy bullets! Enjoy!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    KMT2 said:
    Nice. Now if you could post it in the right forum!
    Hey its close!

tennmike said:
    NICE! I have one with what looks like the same barrel length in .45-70. Corn fed mules kick less than it does with heavy loads of powder and heavy bullets! Enjoy!
    TennMike off line me which books ya using for recipes. I'm thinking of making this a house knocker. The recipes we are using are more mild for the lever and revolver but are limited on where we started. 

IM alos not sure if I will port or not. The other two are ported. Will have to see how she handles .

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    KMT2 said:
    tennmike said:
    TennMike off line me which books ya using for recipes. I'm thinking of making this a house knocker. The recipes we are using are more mild for the lever and revolver but are limited on where we started. 

I'm using the Lyman 47th Edition reloading manual for cast and jacketed, and the Speer Manual for jacketed. Powder I've been using is IMR 4198 for the thumpers and Trail Boss for the putty tat loads. Both manuals have Trapdoor, Marlin, and Ruger #1 loads. I've also run some FFg black powder loads for giggles with 405 grain cast bullets, and they're hurtful, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #12
    Nice looking pair!! #1's are strong and can handle any slobberknocker load that you can, and more.
    I shot Jerry's #1 in .45-70 with his pet load, once!!
    You will thank Ruger for that barrel mounted sling swivel!! :)
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    That is a pretty nice group o' .450's, good picture, the potpourri was nice touch;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Big Al1 said:
    Nice looking pair!! #1's are strong and can handle any slobberknocker load that you can, and more.
    I shot Jerry's #1 in .45-70 with his pet load, once!!
    You will thank Ruger for that barrel mounter sling swivel!! :)
    One is a ruger #1 , one a marlin Lever , one a BFR magnum Research Revolver.
     :) 

CHIRO1989 said:
    That is a pretty nice group o' .450's, good picture, the potpourri was nice touch;)
    NO potpourri, Fun candles and christmas gift of scent hand cream and soaps for Wife's work  meeting. 

tennmike said:
    KMT2 said:
    tennmike said:

I'm using the Lyman 47th Edition reloading manual for cast and jacketed, and the Speer Manual for jacketed. Powder I've been using is IMR 4198 for the thumpers and Trail Boss for the putty tat loads. Both manuals have Trapdoor, Marlin, and Ruger #1 loads. I've also run some FFg black powder loads for giggles with 405 grain cast bullets, and they're hurtful, too.

Well i had cleaned and lubed the ruger  up and well darn if ya dont know it, the sill thing will not get back together. I tried for hours to line up the screw swivel point and the stock , i just cant get the screw to thread in to it. when apart the screw threads fine. but in the stock nope. Well she is at the gunsmith ( with another)  both for minor issues. It drives me a bit nuts but i will have the smith show me how to do it and if i need a specialized tool to help make it work.
     But until then I am looking forward to making a few big horsepower loads . Id like to get as close to 3900 ft lbs to make it a big 5 gun .
     Not like right now I can afford to go for the big five but ya know , i may win the lotto.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Having an 8.5 pound rifle with a little .458 cartridge, a 325gr bullet at 2100 fps (just under 3200 ft-lbs) gets uncomfortable really fast.  My goal of 2200 fps will have it just shy of 3500 ft-lbs.

My .458 WM loads were throwing a 500 gr at 2150 fps (5100 ft-lbs) and was very uncomfortable at the range.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,024 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #17
    Them  is purty. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Some day I will have a #1 in my collection.  They are some good looking rifles.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Looks good.
    Reloader 7 is also a good powder for "slobber knockers" in 45-70
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Yeah I know they hurt, some. But I do want a load that will be a pounder. 
     Using reloader 7. Not sure I like the results. Seems to be not the energy I want. but then again it is being used in a 10 inch barrel and a 18.5 inch barrel. so there could be a bit of a pressure and felt recoil loss there. 
    If you can get a 350gr to 2250 or a 400gr to 2100 you will hit 3900 ft-lbs.  I dont know if you will published load data for that though.

My little .458 pushing a 350gr speer bullet at 2241 (3901 ft-lbs) should be running around 58,500 psi per Quick Load.  I may someday work up to that loading for my rifle, but will probably stop at what should be about 2200 fps and a more reasonable 55,300 psi.  For now a 325 ftx at 2100 fps is plenty for my shoulder.

While I'm sure a #1 would shrug that off, you would have to be sure to keep those loads well marked and kept separate from the loads for the lever gun.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    You may get better results with a slower powder in that longer barrel vs. what your load is for the BFR.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Yeah I think the #1 will have its own brass boxes and loads. I'm going to have to see what works. 
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Good lookn family!  I've always liked sisters......of my friends!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain