This Little Piggie........

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
Went to market. 

Activated the Depredation Permits I use this afternoon. Meaning, I have to call the F&G Headquarters in Austin, give them my name and the permit number along with the date/time I plan to use them. Then, they notify all the Game Wardens in that area as to my intent. 

So, an hour later, I get a text from my Warden buddy joking that I’m going to go “Blasting” tonight. I ask if he wanted to join and observe, as he was on duty. Figure I can’t get in trouble hunting at night if I have a Warden present. 😁

He said he’d meet me there. 

Show up at the place a little after 9 this evening and there are only 4 deer in the fields and way off. Hell, that looked like too much work. But!!!!  There was a massive herd of piggies near the barn silo and in amongst the machinery. Score!

So, I grab my rifle and walk up to a flat bed trailer, lay down on it, and find the herd about 120 yards away. 

Pick out the biggest boar, and send a 168gr ELD-Match through his shoulder. 

He rears up on his his hind legs and pigs scatter everywhere. Runs about 10 yards in a half circle and falls over. The rest of the pigs scatter about. But, because of the various machinery and farm equipment, I don’t shoot at another one. Didn’t want to risk hitting something not meant to be hit in the dark. 

They regroup out in the middle of the field and buggy on to the neighbors place. 

I wheel my cart over to him and load him up. Then, move him to the pit to gut. As I’m doing so, my Warden buddy drives up and I ask, “ Is this the part where I run off into the brush?”

Anyway, a nice boar. Though no deer tonight. 

The bullet entered the middle of the right shoulder, passed through the lungs and lodged in the shield behind the left shoulder. 

Breaking one rib on entrance and one on exit. 

The bullet performed perfectly!!

We messed around for awhile. But, no deer came close enough that I wanted to mess with. I wasn’t going to hand cart them across 800 yards of winter wheat. Nope. I’d try another night. 

Pig is in a cooler. Thinking I might try and shoot a deer tomorrow night and have them mixed/ground together as one. I’ve done that in the past and it turns out excellent!!
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    You are having way too much fun.
    Another great report...…..yeah that bullet did really well.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    Nice report!

i need to get out and get a pig soon
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 851 Senior Member
    I'm still impressed with how well the ELD-M bullets hold together.   I would expect them to come apart based on what looks to be a less than ideal construction for use on game.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Weatherby said:
    You are having way too much fun.
    Another great report...…..yeah that bullet did really well.
    It is fun sometimes. Other times, it’s too much like work. 😁
    Nice report!

i need to get out and get a pig soon
    Yep. Thems good eats. 
    mitdr774 said:
    I'm still impressed with how well the ELD-M bullets hold together.   I would expect them to come apart based on what looks to be a less than ideal construction for use on game.
    It really does well. Dare I say, I like it better than the A-Max. Even though it’s supposedly the same/same but for the tip. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,092 Senior Member
    That's a heap big pig! Good job, great pix and report as always.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    Oh yeah, you need to add some venison to that pig meat.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    edited January 13 #10
    Every time I read one of your hunting stories I get more jealous. I need to call this guy who takes you on a hog hunt. He leases land from ranchers and has blinds around the place he puts hunters in. It's a pay per hunt deal. I have to pay to hunt since nobody around here loves me enough to let me hunt hogs on their land for free.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    I need to call this guy who takes you on a hog hunt. He leases land from ranchers and has blinds around the place he puts hunters in. It's a pay per hunt deal. I have to pay to hunt since nobody around here loves me enough to let me hunt hogs on their land for free.
    Oh, I don’t know if they love me. But, I know they hate pigs. 

So, I’m good for something. 
    snake284 said:
    I need to call this guy who takes you on a hog hunt. He leases land from ranchers and has blinds around the place he puts hunters in. It's a pay per hunt deal. I have to pay to hunt since nobody around here loves me enough to let me hunt hogs on their land for free.
    Oh they claim to hate pigs here too, but they love money more than they hate pigs, LOL!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Oh yeah, you need to add some venison to that pig meat.
    Gonna try tonight. 
    edited January 13 #14
    Actually Zee I love your stories because they pretty well reflect things as I like them. I can enjoy watching people bow hunt and I like to read about shooting pistols at game, but I'm pretty much a rifleman. I love a good rifle more than anything.

Sometimes I open my safe up and fondle rifles for hours. Some of my rifles most here would refer to as "Safe Queens" because some I haven't shot in a few years. But I guarantee there aren't any that haven't been out of the safe and fondled and dry fired. I've been enamored by rifles all my life.

While the only handguns that do that to me are S&W DA Revolvers AND Ruger Single Action Revolvers. I have three Semi Auto pistols but they're for Self Defense and Carry. I don't get my cookies either shooting them or fondling them like I do rifles.

I'm some what a shotgun lover, and will occasionally will take the shotguns out and fondle them likewise, but not as much as rifles.
    I like all types of guns. But, I am a Rifleman at heart. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Activated the Depredation Permits I use this afternoon. Meaning, I have to call the F&G Headquarters in Austin, give them my name and the permit number along with the date/time I plan to use them. Then, they notify all the Game Wardens in that area as to my intent. 

Pick up the phone
    Leave them alone
    It's time you made your ham
    Pork for free, Zee's happy to be
    Your back door maaaaaaaaaan!

Threaded cans. . .mil dots. . .night scopes (DONE DIRT CHEAP!)

Bipods. . .permits. . .GUT PILEAGE!! (DONE DIRT CHEAP!)  :D

Don't ever stop brother - we're all having too much fun with the too much fun you're having!

(I REALLY like the pic of the inside of the chest cavity with the bullet path traced out.  It needs a 4" action figure standing inside to show the "proper sense of scale".) 

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Billy_BuddBilly_Budd Posts: 572 Senior Member
    FIFY
    Thanks. 
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    snake284 said:

Me..........I am good for nothing......... :'(:neutral:

Nice hog btw......

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    Zee said:
    snake284 said:

Nice hog btw......

You are not!  You’re good for lots of things!!!!

Give me a minute. 

I’m thinking. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Thats a big ol hog.  About 250 lb on the hoof?
    A lot of people down here won't eat them when they get that big.  My largest was 240 lbs and tasted fine though
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,649 Senior Member
    Nice hunt there !
    I have never shot a hog . We don't have wild ones in this area .
    Diver43 said:
    A lot of people down here won't eat them when they get that big.  My largest was 240 lbs and tasted fine though
    I’ve eaten up to a 300 pound pig. Just depends on how they smell, and if they are all cut up with sores and scars. 
    Old Ron said:
    Nice hunt there !
    I have never shot a hog . We don't have wild ones in this area .
    They are in almost every state now. To some extent. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    We have hogs, more so in western NC------I have not seen out east; but, there are reports of then out east.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    orchidman said:
    Zee said:
    snake284 said:

Nice hog btw......

You are not!  You’re good for lots of things!!!!

Give me a minute. 

I’m thinking. 
    :D
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    I can read minds. I know what you wanted to say in place of the smiley Alec, "Damn Smart Ass American!!!" LOLOLOLOLOL!!!
    edited January 15 #28
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:
    I’ve eaten up to a 300 pound pig. Just depends on how they smell, and if they are all cut up with sores and scars. 
    I've shot them up to 250-close to 300 Pounds but never ate one that big. I've brought 'em home and cleaned 'em but when It came around to eating them they always smeell too bad for my wimpy tastes. I have eaten a lot of them that were between 50 and 150, and I tried to eat a 300 pounder my youngest boy killed. Even had some of it made into tamales but we couldn't choke em down. To strong.
    Finally got around to weighing the recovered bullet. 

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Too bad that A-Max's and ELD-M's don't work on big game...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Too bad that A-Max's and ELD-M's don't work on big game...
    One of these days, I’ll get me some real hunting bullets to use.