Holy Crap!!! Management Buck?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member

I am blessed beyond measure. Depredation Permit for Agricultural Management - 8 Point +2 Kickers. 

He was beat up, wore out, rank, and skinny to boot. But, mixed with the pig from the other day.........will make great burger. 

.308 Win at approx 120yrds w/ 168gr ELD-Match from my “Short Rifle”. 

Farmer is Happy

State is Happy

I’m is Happy

Winning!

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    Holy cow! Please don't tell me that deer is under those permits where you need to cut up the antlers.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,219 Senior Member
    edited January 16 #3
    That’s a pig, and I ain’t talking about the hog you’re mixing him with!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    Holy crap!... he's huge!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    WOW
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    Looks like some of the bucks I have seen that came out of the Sabine River bottoms in northern East Texas, where I took my best buck, several years ago. Dark fur, heavy-boned body, and thick antlers, usually under 10 points, and living almost entirely on acorns.

Nice.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    What a Rack!!   Nice one
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,071 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Farmer is Happy

State is Happy

I’m is Happy

Heck, from the description of his decrepitude, the buck is probably happy too!
    Good score.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,719 Senior Member
    How are his teeth? Any estimate on his age? The gray in his beard makes him all the more interesting, he made a nice rack this year for being on the decline. Hope he helped made lots of fawns.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,548 Senior Member
    Beautiful straight 8 or maybe 9 pt best I can tell from the pictures.  Nice and symmetrical Did you score him?  Looks like a solid 130 class buck, though hard to say from the pictures could be higher.  Dang,that's a heck of a nice buck.  Congrats!  I'd say nice shot, but all your shots are solid...nice shot!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    That is just amazing!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Holy cow! Please don't tell me that deer is under those permits where you need to cut up the antlers.
    😢
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    Damn!
    Six-Gun said:
    Think I’m gonna add some extra beef fat to this mix. 

Two big geezers. 😳
    edited January 16 #15
    CHIRO1989 said:
    How are his teeth? Any estimate on his age? The gray in his beard makes him all the more interesting, he made a nice rack this year for being on the decline. Hope he helped made lots of fawns.
    He was only 4.5 years old. 

Just beat up and worn down from the rut. Not age. 
    I’m really surprised his horns weren’t broken as I’ve seen, culled so many with broken horns this year. 
    Beautiful straight 8 or maybe 9 pt best I can tell from the pictures.  Nice and symmetrical Did you score him?  Looks like a solid 130 class buck, though hard to say from the pictures could be higher.  Dang,that's a heck of a nice buck.  Congrats!  I'd say nice shot, but all your shots are solid...nice shot!
    Did not score him. That’s not something I’ve ever been into. No real reason. Just haven’t. 

My big Muley has never been scored, though probably over 200” according to the taxidermist. 

Just not my thing for some reason. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,719 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    😢
    Give him a close cut, call him a doe ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,698 Senior Member
    WOW!

How soon after the animal is shot do you have cut the antlers up?
    Just thinking out loud about the possibility of taking a cast of the antlers.

Side question: Once cut up can you keep the bits and use them for knife handles etc or do they have to be disposed of?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    WOW!

How soon after the animal is shot do you have cut the antlers up?
    Just thinking out loud about the possibility of taking a cast of the antlers.

Side question: Once cut up can you keep the bits and use them for knife handles etc or do they have to be disposed of?
    Within a reasonable amount of time. I actually carry a saw in my truck for that purpose. 

There is no specification as to what is done with the pieces. So, I assume they could be used for cutlery. 
    The good thing, both the deer and the pig yielded 60 pounds of meat. So, the burger will be a good mix. 

I usually add 3% beef fat to my grind. This time, I had them add 7%. Just because both were rather big and very .........masculine. 

Little extra beef flavor can’t hurt. 
  • Billy_BuddBilly_Budd Posts: 568 Senior Member
    Holee Buckzilla!!!
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,592 Senior Member
    Great animal, memories and pictures are forever. If you make a knife handle out of his antlers - pretty good keep sake
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    edited January 18 #23
    Zee said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Think I’m gonna add some extra beef fat to this mix. 

Two big geezers. 😳
    Back when you could get Brisket for less than a kings ransom we used to throw a couple of 10 pounders in the sausage grinder. Mixed with some pork butts and wild hog the beef gave the sausage a good flavor and some added fat. Wild hog can be awfully lean especially when mixed with deer and make sausage pretty dry if you don't add some tallow and an un-market trimmed brisket is pretty fat.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited January 18 #24
    Oh BTW, I got carried away and forgot to say Damn nice deer..How small do you have to cut the antlers up? Maybe you could cut 'em up to satisfy th GW and glue them together to make a cast. Seems such ashamed that you have to cut 'em up. What does that accomplish? I mean you were culling. That's all taking management bucks out of the herd is anyway. That's just chicken poo on the state's part. It's like the animal gave it's life por nada...
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited January 18 #25
    This isn’t selective culling. It’s complete eradication of all deer on the property due to crop damage. 
    There is no limit and standard rules do not apply. I can shoot day or night, buck or doe. Shoot them all until I run out of permits. Then, I guess they ask for more. 

But, the deer have to be tagged, logged and processed or donated. No waste. 

The horns have to be cut 2” above the base and the beam cut between every additional point on the beam. 

The reason is so property owners cannot “sell” hunts for trophy deer and use depredation permits to do so. 

Only shooters submitted to Austin, approved, and documented on the property’s Permit are allowed to be present in the act of depredation culling. So landowners can’t sell hunts to any and everyone. 

Its quite a regulated process. 
    edited January 18 #26
    And as mentioned before, I have to call Austin 4 hours prior to culling and give them a time from start to finish of when I’ll be shooting. 

In other words, I call and tell them the permit number for the property, my name and that I want the tags activated tonight from 10p to 6a. 

They in turn notify all the local GW with the info I gave them. 

I have had GW show up and check/observe twice now. Once on their own and once I invited  them. 

Doesn’t pay to cheat the system. 
    edited January 18 #27
    Zee said:
    And as mentioned before, I have to call Austin 4 hours prior to culling and give them a time from start to finish of when I’ll be shooting. 

In other words, I call and tell them the permit number for the property, my name and that I want the tags activated tonight from 10p to 6a. 

They in turn notify all the local GW with the info I gave them. 

I have had GW show up and check/observe twice now. Once on their own and once I invited  them. 

Doesn’t pay to cheat the system. 
    Oh hell no, it never pays to screw around with the government. You play by their rules or you might get burned and their fire is HOT!

I've dealt with Immigration a lot and I know others that have and I've heard what can happen when you get caught lying to an immigration officer or give them a bogus paper of any kind. I swear those people have a hot line to God and he lets em know when you're lying. So I took some good advice and was always on the level with them and made sure every paper my fiance gave me was the real deal. A friend from up the road in Victoria who was also married to a otold me he knew two guys that have been married to Filipino Women for over 20 years but because they gave immigration a BS fake paper they still haven't gotten a visa.

When dealing with Parks and Wildlife if you do the wrong thing they can take your stuff. That's not just in Texas, I know some guys that were illegally hunting on an Indian Reservation in Colorado or Wyoming and got busted. They confiscated guns, tents, camping supplies and even cars. They lost a lot of that but finally got most back with a big fine. I'll play along with the system thanks.