Home Main Category General Firearms

Another VX-3i on the way

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,394 Senior Member
Well, I bought another Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 which is on the way. No bid, I bought it out right after I contacted the seller and confirmed it was what it said it was. But there's still money in the til for awhile. I plan on one more. I want one on every rifle I hunt with regularly. I know, I know, I say all the time for hunting the way I do I don't need such expensive scopes. I don't shoot game at such a range I need the best of optics. I hunted with cheaper lesser optices for many years. I've been doing very good with older tecnnolog y optics up until recently.  But if ya got it Flaunt it. I do like the Leupold VX-3i. It's gotthe best optics for the money. You can spend a whole lot of money to get very litle gain. No way I can afford to spend $1000 + on optics. but $300-$400 is douable. And I will admit that the older my eyes get the more help I need.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #2
    See now snake here's a plan.
    If you sold two of them there Leupys and one rifle that you don't use a lot
    You could go then and buy a Schmidt and Bender, Leica, Khales or Swarovski and put it on the remaining unscoped rifle, you may well like the glass just a little more.
    After that I'll get you in to Mil. o:)   
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #3
    ojr said:
    You could go then and buy a Schmidt and Bender, Leica, Khales or Swarovski and put it on the remaining unscoped rifle, you may well like the glass just a little more.

ojr said:
    No way Jose, every rifle I own is subject to being used on a hunt at any time. Every time I buy or build something it's something I've wanted or it's a classic of some kind. I've looked through my old friend's Schmidt Und Bender scope before and yeah it's clearer but not that much clearer than a Leupold VX 3i that is where it will make any big difference the way I've been hunting seeng I very seldom get a shot at more than 300 yards. These VX-3is are way yonder good enough for me considering I hunted most of my life with Weavers and Redfields. And besides that, me hunting with a Schmidt und Bender scope on my rifle would be like somebody wearing a Tux and Tails to an AA meeting, LOL!

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Anyway it came today,  another beautiful scope. I'll call Leupold Monday and check the SN out to make sure it's not a Chinese Knock off. I doubt it is, it looks so much like the others I n. If they can make a fake that looks this good we're all in trouble. Besides this is from a reputable business that's been on Ebay since 2001 and has a stellar rating. I checked it out before I bought the scope. However,  don't think you can be too careful.

These 3.5-10X40s to me are just the perfect hunting scope.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #5
    Good as Snake ,I hope you realize my post was meant to be very tongue in cheek, I know your quite chuffed with these leupys and they are a damn fine hunting scope
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    edited January 2019 #6
    Ojr, I know. I hope you realize that I too can be tongue and cheek and so enjoy this bantering. I will admit, if I had more money I love Schmidt and Bender. The one and only one I ever looked through was at my friend's house at about 9 oclock at night. It was dark outside and I could see every blade of grass all the way out to the street. Yes, I love German Optics and if I won the lotto would have one on all my rifles. But being an old retired guy with a young family here, I have to drive chevy's and fords and can't have a rolls. But that doesn't mean I don't want one. No as far as I'm concerned you and me get along fine and tell each other what we think but it doesn't make us angry. That's the only way to be and get along when you have different ideas. The important thing to me is you're a gun guy. Cheers buddy.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Maybe someday I will step up to something more than a VX-1 equivalent. 
    edited January 2019 #8
    Well mitdr774, it took me a long while. I always viewed a scope as a sighting system and still do. And for the most part you can kill a lot of deer with a VX-1. It's a good solid scope. It will hold zero til the mountains crumble to the sea and it's a lot clearer than what we were hunting with 20-30 years back. If you're like me you will buy what you can afford. And it's all relative. Yeah a VX-3 is better than a VX-1 and a Schmidt und Bender is better than a VX-3 but how much better? And if so will it really allow you to kill deer later? How many stories have you heard on here of someone killing a deer on the fringe in the dark area because he identified a deer on the edge of the brush line? I've never yet heard that story told here. In theory that seems to be the case for higher grade optics, but in reality I think it's the exception rather than the rule. I've had a VX-3 4.5-14 for a few years now and I never saw that it gave me a real big advantage. And  I'm  not buying these better scopes because I think they will really help me kill a lot more deer, I'm doing it because they make it a little easier on my eyes. Buy what you can afford, and use your skills to take advantage of it.

I've had an upscale Leupold for a few years now and I really never saw a situation that it helped me that much after sunset. And I've never experienced this glare they talk about. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying it must not be real common because I've never experienced it with any Leupold Scope, or Nikon either for that matter.

Just enjoy what you have now until you can afford to go upscale if you so desire, and above all, good luck and safe hunts to ya.