Home Main Category General Firearms

Home defense shotgun suggestions

13»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,670 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #62
    What about a Shockwave or similar - in 20 ga? Seems to me that would be "da bomb" for HD. I'm toying with the idea - talk me into or out of it...
    Again, currently have a Mossy 20 ga with the 2 bbl kit.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Firing a shotgun without a shoulder stock for aiming is not intuiative. IMO it requires more than occasional practice to be proficient.

However, I have used such a setup for small space sleeping defense like tents and the back of my pickup bed with the assumption that anything attempting entry would be within arms reach.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #64
    I love both my 870 and my 500. My 870 is smooth but my 500 is reliable and patterns damn good. My Model 12 Winchester is my absolute favorite. Put a magazine extension on it and you can go through a pile of shells quick.

But I have a brilliant idea, just ask Uncle Joe Biden what he would get. He seems to be the authority on shotguns for SD and HD. LOL!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #65
    zorba said:
    What about a Shockwave or similar - in 20 ga? Seems to me that would be "da bomb" for HD. I'm toying with the idea - talk me into or out of it...
    No doubt in my mind that a 20 is more than enough for HD. What I am concerned with is that whatever gun you use will be dependable in the heat of the moment and that you can handle and shoot it well. I think that trumps gauge, shot size, and action type.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I like I like the 500.  Reliable, cheap, and good ergonomics.  Mine is equipped with rifle sights and a fenix TK11 1000 lumen flashlight.  Number 6 shot loaded with slugs and 00 buck in the side saddle.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Freezer said:
    Gila said:
    Freezer said:
    Tugar, nobody was talking about  28" barreled shotgun. The video was using a 18.5" barrel and that is what to OP was about, a short barreled shotgun for HD. 

The video does raise one question in my mind, how does a pistol grip shoulder stock handle and feel under recoil?
    It is possible to put a recoil pad on the butt of any stock for the wussified...  :D
    Actually newbie, I was talking about how it would effect your wrist. The guys in the video were complaining about hand pain from the recoil. 

To be proficient with any firearm you have to practice and you won't practice with a gun that hurts you or isn't comfortable. 
    If you saw my previous post with the photo of my 870 in it, you would have seen that mine does have the pistol grip.  I built it myself from a 28" 870 Express, putting an 18 1/2" Remington tactical barrel and tactical furniture on it.  It has never hurt my wrist, and I can run 100 rounds of 2 3/4" double aught or slugs through it during one practice session with no problem.  BTW, I'm only new to the forum in the sense that I never bothered to sign up for it until recently...

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Not a fan of the platform...unless you are breaching doors on a regular basis...
    As with any pistol grip shotgun...they are a bad idea, not conducive to aimed shots, which, contrary to popular belief and " gun shop wisdom" ( just point in the general direction and let ''r rip)..really does need to happen...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I had a conversation with Josh Barnett (MMA fighter) when he used to work at my LGS years ago, in which he described shooting a 12ga 870 with a pistol grip installed; he says he fired it repeatedly one-handed.  I believe him, and if you ever stood next to him, you'd believe it too.  He did admit that it was difficult. 
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    If you want to shoot with a pistol grip, use low recoil loads. Heck. I use them with a full stock. Not worried about penetration at 20'...........

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I use a 500 Persuader 8 shot 20''barrel. I have the above LR 00 Buck in it now, but next time I purchase ammo it will be LR 4 Buck.

I have used the pistol grip just for fun. Easy enough to hit center mass on an old burning barrel....

I put a snap cap in the chamber and put the hammer down, then fill the tube. With the hammer down there is no need to push in the action release to rack the slide.... It sits in the closet.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #72
    I have a Winchester Defender 12 ga pump that I bought back in 1983 w/ 8 rd. tube.
    18in. bbl. for Home Defense. It has been very reliable and I have loaded with 2 rds. of #6 shot, 4 rds.. of #4 Buck and 2 rds. of Slugs. Sure to stop the intruder.
    I also have a Benneli M-1 12 ga. 20" bbl. that is really a sweet shotgun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #73
    Rural King Guns has Rem 870 hardwood stock on sale for $299. Don't know what your local prices are. Sure rather buy new rather than pay over $200 or so for a used one if I were in the market.

Online only, order to a RK store or have sent to your FFL.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief said:
    Rural King Guns has Rem 870 hardwood stock on sale for $299. Don't know what your local prices are. Sure rather buy new rather than pay over $200 or so for a used one if I were in the market.

Online only, order to a RK store or have sent to your FFL.
    If you can get one online. I did a search yesterday and all 19 guns that came up in the search were sold out......... all of them.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Not sure where the nearest RK is and local places run about $75 for a transfer.  When I have time I will have to cruise the used racks at my localish options.
  • SteelshooterSteelshooter New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    You might want to pick up a used slug barrel for the 20ga and fit the stock for your wife. Then look around for a used 12 ga slug gun Rem 870 or Mossy 500 for yourself. That way your wife has something she can handle well, and you get another gun for yourself, win...win. On a side note don't discount the 20 ga for HD, as a paramedic for almost 30 years I have first hand knowledge just what a 20 ga loaded with small game loads can do at HD ranges. Trust me they are devastating.