Kicking around an idea.

2»

Replies

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 932 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Teach said:
    How about putting a cone breech on the barrel like an 03 Springfield?
    The extractor rotates with the bolt head and has a angled ramp to accommodate the extractor rotation; looks the same as most single shot .22 rifles with that reverse cone angel for the extractor rotation. Coning the breach would expose a fairly large portion of the case sidewall at the extractor angle cut. The Mosin is a pain to work with.
    Just now saw this but I’ve been doing some thinking on multiple different ways to overcome the feeding issue. I could machine the boltface deeper and sink the extractor flush with the bolt nose and possibly do the 3 rings of steel like Remington does, but Im honestly liking your sketch above. That would be easier than my spring loaded ramp idea. I really won’t know until I get to making chips though and I’ve got quite a few irons in the fire at the moment, but I will be doing it.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    edited January 28 #33
    If the weather ever gives me a break on the monsoon rains, I'll get the heater up to the shop, fire it up, and spin the barrel off my .44 Mag Mosin and make that thing I sketched and see if it works. Shouldn't take long to make, really. simple procedures on lathe, and milling one slot across the middle to accommodate the bolt lugs.

Edit to add: Mine is on a Chinese Type 53 action, and to say it's a bit rough in the action front ring inside is a bit kind.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Well I fiddled around with it more today and to my surprise, the longer and larger diameter 500 round feeds perfectly center towards the chamber. The only thing I had to do was mill a bit of the receiver for the bullet itself to fit through and I’ll have to modify the magazine well by widening it a bit but I’m happy that this shouldn’t turn into an ordeal lol.
    That longer rimless(?) case may have made the difference.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

It’s definitely rimmed for sure. And I’m still dabbling with the idea of sinking in the bolt face and reshaping the extractor so it don’t need that goofy cutout in the chamber end. 
    It’s definitely rimmed for sure. And I’m still dabbling with the idea of sinking in the bolt face and reshaping the extractor so it don’t need that goofy cutout in the chamber end. 
    Going by my Chinese Type 53 if you modify the bolt head then there's plenty of room in the front action ring to run the barrel shank further back if you need to do that for any reason.

Got my bbl today. I’ll be contouring and threading it tomorrow. Once I get mine and Sakodudes in the same configuration I’ll be renting the chamber reamer. Should be a pretty quick turnaround time before I’m dislocating shoulders.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Got my bbl today. I’ll be contouring and threading it tomorrow. Once I get mine and Sakodudes in the same configuration I’ll be renting the chamber reamer. Should be a pretty quick turnaround time before I’m dislocating shoulders.
    Got to get off my butt and get things shipped off. Trying to coordinate with my brother to ship his project at the same time.

Sako
    Progress

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Progress

Looking good!!
    edited March 9 #42
2»