Home Main Category General Firearms

Once fired Lake City Brass

AccipiterAccipiter New MemberPosts: 885 Senior Member
I was wondering if anyone had any experience reloading this stuff.  I have found a source of the brass for cheap and am considering buying some.  My online research shows a high degree of satisfaction from those loading this stuff.  I have a shooting buddy that thinks it will not be worth the pain and I will have to throw away half of it for loose primer pockets.  This does not seem to be the opinion of most of the experiences I have read so far.  Any thoughts or experience?

some housekeeping

I like gladiator movies 
I have never been to a Turkish bath
I have seen grown men nekkid

And
Marlin over Winchester

Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Welcome.

Lake City? I have had very good results with it. The only thing is the crimped in primer. I have a RCBS crimp remover but heard that Dillon (or someone else) makes a superior product for that purpose. I need to get off my butt and buy one.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I used to buy once fired 7.62 and 5.56 Lake City brass in lots of 1,000 from an outfit in VA...deprimed ,resized  and with primer pockets reamed for a very reasonable price and would split the lot with my cousin...used it for building hunting loads where the likelihood of recovering brass was unlikely..

Never had a problem with it and still have a bunch of it
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    It's good brass.  I use it quite a bit.
    Welcome.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    Thanks.  I am glad to hear good reports.  I have swage gages and a Dillon super swage, though I have not had need to use it yet.  I think I will soon.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Accipiter said:
    Dillon super swage
    That is the one. While the RCBS works, it is miserable.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    I loaded LC for years 30-06 & 7.62 (308) Its good brass, if ya can get LC Match so much the better.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,206 Senior Member
    Used a bunch of LC brass in 5.56 for service rifle competition.
    Never any issues or complaints. 

69 grain or 77 grain Nosler Custom Comp, or Sierra Match King for 200 and 300 yard 
    80 grain projectiles for the 600 yard. 

Didn't hot rod the rounds to speak of, as we needed accuracy over velocity. 

Never had stretched or loose primer pockets, but discarded the brass after 8-10 loadings. 

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    Thank you all for your input.  And to be clear, my concerns were not for Lake City brass in general.  They were for the once fired aspect.  I was concerned about brass from an M240, or an M249.  With the looser chamber, maybe there would be more damage or stretching to the brass, but that appears to be an unfounded fear.  

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Accipiter said:
    With the looser chamber,  
    Dude! You used the word right! (We should let the new guy stay)
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #11
    Accipiter said:
    Thank you all for your input.  And to be clear, my concerns were not for Lake City brass in general.  They were for the once fired aspect.  I was concerned about brass from an M240, or an M249.  With the looser chamber, maybe there would be more damage or stretching to the brass, but that appears to be an unfounded fear.  
    That would be the case...no matter what weapon it was fired in, it's only been fired once...just full length resize it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    I have been reloading Lake City brass for a long time. I have yet to have any issues with it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #13
    Accipiter said:
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience reloading this stuff.  I have found a source of the brass for cheap and am considering buying some.  My online research shows a high degree of satisfaction from those loading this stuff.  I have a shooting buddy that thinks it will not be worth the pain and I will have to throw away half of it for loose primer pockets.  This does not seem to be the opinion of most of the experiences I have read so far.  Any thoughts or experience?

some housekeeping

I like gladiator movies 
    I have never been to a Turkish bath
    I have seen grown men nekkiD

And
    Marlin over Winchester

If you get it surplus then it's all once fired. I don't think the military reloads it. Now if somebody gives you some they've been reloading now that's a different matter.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    It's worth knowing going in with military 5.56 brass that you're going to have to swage the crimp out of the primer pockets, and that there's a fair chance of needed to trim it to length after your first sizing (which, depending on your application / level of anal-retentiveness, you might be doing anyway).

It's good brass, but the extra work it can bring detracts a little from the "free lunch" aspect of getting it cheap.

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Thanks bigslug.  I have a super swage, swage gauges, and an L E Wilson trimmer.  I should be good to go.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...