trade war

rberglofrberglof Senior MemberPosts: 2,381 Senior Member

China Plans $1 Trillion Buying Spree of US Goods

Wounder what the dems will find wrong with this if final agreement is made and trade war ends. China offering to eliminate trade deficit within 6 years.
"Beijing would reduce its trade surplus to zero by 2024".

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bye-bye-trade-war-china-160627486.html

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    The MSM will hate it and do one of two things. They'll either downplay it and find fault at every turn, or they'll refuse to report on it at all. Trump has China buying American grown rice, for crying out loud! THAT in itself is a really big first.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,110 Senior Member
    I really do hope this works out for us. I don't trust China at all and am waiting for the catch. 
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member
    I really do hope this works out for us. I don't trust China at all and am waiting for the catch. 
    I am sure they are no more willing to give up the $$$ any more than Kim is willing to give up his nukes, but they conceded and that's something.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,617 Senior Member
    It takes a dedicated person to engage in negotiations with someone who will lie, cheat, and renege on any promise, regardless of how solemnly it was made. It has always been that way, although maybe not to such extremes. The 'carrot and stick' approach is all about being able to force someone you don't trust to do something they don't want to do, and then giving them small rewards, when they do. The smallest of successes are only gained after very arduous efforts, and the large successes only come when the small successes are strung together, to make a whole.

Diplomacy exists to prevent major conflicts from developing, and sometimes its effectiveness has to be measured in terms of whether negotiations are even taking place, at all. If we are talking and not shooting, that is a net gain, unless we are stupid enough to think we can let our guard down.

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,381 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    I hadn't heard that one before I like it!
    Will Rogers was one of the best political commentators of his time. He was a humorist, but the government gave him lots of material, so he didn't let it go to waste.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,617 Senior Member
    Will Rogers never denied being a Democrat, during a time when most of the poor folks just wanted a job that would support their families. That was the only issue they cared about, until relief came in the form of honest work becoming available, which everybody naturally attributed to FDR. Most of FDR's work plans were not much more effective than what the Democrats have been selling for the last 50 years, but it cheered people up, because he seemed to care.

Will Rogers was a much more genuine person, though, than the so-called comedians of today who incite hatred for any who disagree with any Democrat sanctioned idea, because they believe it furthers their own ambitions. The best days of government in this country usually were the result of compromise between rich and poor about what made the economy work for the largest number of people. Even then, though, Democrats were fairly successful in painting all Republicans as robber-barons. The difference was that most folks actually understood, on a very basic level, how capitalism worked. They had learned, the hard way, how to deal with reality, and they were the people who Will Rogers spoke to.