Home Main Category General Firearms

350 ledgend

12346»

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Slight positive note here, I now have a magazine that's easier on brass.  The factory 5 round magazine cuts into the brass a bit as its stripped from the magazine.

Say hello to the 10 round Pmag..

Another update.  The .356 bullet sizing die I ordered has arrived.  I ran 5 Speer 180gr .358 bullets through it and loaded up some dummy rounds.  They do cycle through the gun just fine, but have to be seated somewhat short for the magazine.  Nothing too excessive compared to how the factory ammunition looked though.  When I get a chance I will have to run the combination through Quick Load to see what I can expect.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    One problem I've seen pointed out with the Legend's bullet size is that it's not a .357.  Some may not find that a big deal, but look at Indiana's deer regulations:

Rifles chambered for cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms, youth, reduction zones from Nov. 17-Jan. 31 (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons. These rifle cartridges can be used on public and private land.

Can't hunt deer in Indiana with it.  Bullets are illegal.  They created it for a purpose and it fails...
    Overkill is underrated.
    My understanding is that since the cartridge is SAAMI certified at .357", the states with the .357" requirement have accepted it for use.  Several states apparently list it as an approved cartridge even.  I dont live in one of those states, so thats not a concern.  I just have to be a .35 caliber.
    Based on cartridge lengths I can work with in this rifle It looks like I can safely push a Speer 180gr Hot-Cor to at least 2100 FPS.  Once I have some once fired of my new brass and can get an accurate measurement of case capacity I will be able to have a better idea.  I also kept +10% lot to lot variation to max pressure of about 48.5k PSI.  I know I can go higher, but I want to start safe and work up.  In all reality bumping the pressure up might only get me another 100 FPS anyways.

Sierra 200gr RN Pro Hunter can be pushed around 2000 while staying within what should be safe pressures.

This is of course with running the .358 bullets through a .356 sizer first.

The 180 and 200gr bullets should be able to be pushed to mid range .35 Remington velocities.  I would feel decently comfortable with that given the bullets being used are intended for those velocities.  With some luck I will get some sized and loaded to try out real soon.

edited July 2019 #157
    First round of test options.  180gr Speer Hot-Cor .358 sized to .356, 147gr Speer 9mm TMJ (going to rerun this through QL for a longer OAL), 158gr Speer JSP .357 sized to .356, 160gr cast PC RN Bayou Bullets .356, 180gr Pugnose cast PC MBC .357 resized to .356.

The one I'm mainly interested in for now is the 180gr Speer.

Some dummy loads in the magazine for some Speer 147 TMJ and Hornady 147 XTP .355 bullets seated to an overall length that will chamber, fit the magazine, and has enough bullet in the case for me to be okay with.

Found some Federal ammunition to try out.  Hopefully these will perform better than the Winchester did.  Might have a chance to get to a 50 yard indoor range today.

$19.99 box of 20
    2.185" OAL
    179.2gr bullet
    26.2gr of powder
    .356" diameter bullet
    Only pulled down the one round to measure for now as I want to see how these shoot, and I only found the one box.

20190714_135844jpg20190714_135302jpg20190714_135113jpg20190714_134944jpg20190714_135200jpg
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    Does the Federal case length look more to spec than the Winchester case length?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Fire formed Federal cases all measured 1.703" to 1.710" in length and 37.3-37.5 gr H2O capacity if my memory from last night is correct.

Only shot at 50 yards with a front bag and no rear bag.  I saved some for a 100 yard range where I can use both bags for a better grouping test.  Overall, much happier than I was with the Winchester.
    Just an update with recorded velocities from my rifle.

Ruger American with a 22" barrel.  Magnetospeed V3, based on 5 shot groups.

Winchester 150 XP          2308 FPS, 9.1 SD
    Winchester 180 PP          2169 FPS, 13.5 SD

Federal Fusion 180          2211 FPS, 11.4 SD

Hornady whitetail 170      2372 FPS, 21.9 SD

For any interested, some component bullets are available now.  Limited load data from Hodgdon is available for the Winchester 180 PP.  That is it so far though.  Hopefully that changes soon.  All bullets are in the .354-.355" range.  Hornady is at least honest about the diameter.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    The Legend is an interesting round that I am seeing more and more often when ammo shopping. Factory ammo seems to be much less than my 6.8spc is. Not sure if that is good or not
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    So far I have found Federal 180gr, Hornady 170gr, and Winchester 145,150, and 180gr factory load options.  I have had mixed results in my rifle.
    Apparently this cartridge is capable of driving a 170gr bullet at 2490 FPS.  Loaded up some Hornady 170gr .355 bullets with Lil'Gun to try out.  I am running well over what QL suggested I should be.  Time to go back over everything I have done and make sure I didnt oops somewhere.  Accuracy wasnt great, but ,my rifle doesnt even shoot the factory Hornady load very well.
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    One problem I've seen pointed out with the Legend's bullet size is that it's not a .357.  Some may not find that a big deal, but look at Indiana's deer regulations:

Rifles chambered for cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms, youth, reduction zones from Nov. 17-Jan. 31 (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons. These rifle cartridges can be used on public and private land.

Can't hunt deer in Indiana with it.  Bullets are illegal.  They created it for a purpose and it fails...

Lots of good info. here, as I just started hearing about this cartridge in Ohio, and it seems pretty stupid of manufacturers to make this gun/cartridge for certain states, and not designing it correctly for the intended states requirements for deer hunting. Ohio specifies a minimum straight walled rifle cartridge as .357 minimum diam. and up to .50.  Someone said it is too small of diam. for Michigan too?
    I think it's pretty lame for any state to  modify it's minimum bullet diameter, to accommodate a gun manufacturer, that had all the different state's specifications prior to designing their gun/cartridge. I also feels it's illegal and unethical for companies to lie about their bullet diameter. Good for Hornady for giving the actual diameter of their bullets!