Can I claim a .40cal Kill?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
Or at least, an assist?

We still have MLD Tags on my Rancher Friend’s place to use by the end of February. So, he let a buddy of mine and his daughter come out to try and shoot a deer. 

He wanted to use a handgun as he’d never hunted with one before. So, I set him up with my Dominator in .35 Remington. 

His first practice shot at 100 yrds was perfect. 

We headed out and ser up a blind inside a wellhouse shed. 

The deer were running late but eventually they came out in great numbers. The only problem was that nothing that came inside our pistol distance of 150 yards was a spike or mature doe!  Just young bucks, old bucks, Axis, and young does. 

As the sun set, we were running out of options. Fortunately, we had brought a rifle in .308 Win just in case. 

So, as light failed, I handed my buddy the rifle and told him to take a mature doe at a little over 200 yards. 

She was quartering away to the left and standing still when my buddy aimed in and started to shoot. Right then, she took step forward and turned to her right. 

I started to say, “Wait!” But it was too late. The gun went off and I saw the impact in her back left hind quarter. 

****!!

She jolted forward and took off for the brush. Well, now we had work. 

We collected our stuff and headed back back to the barn. Gave her a bit of time, then headed out to track her. As we left, I grabbed my .40 S&W Pistol. Just in case. 

Well, the tracking was hard. There was blood, but not a lot at first. Over the next hour and a half we fluctuated between easy tracking at times and hands and knees looking for specs. Saw where she bedded down 3 times but kept pushing her. 

It wasn’t going to be cool enough to leave her overnight and I didn’t want here to stop bleeding. I knew if she rested too long, the wound could plug up and I wanted it to keep flowing. 

Finally, after almost .5 mile, we caught up to her in the dark. Hearing something ahead of me, I looked up and saw her stand up and take off through the brush. And the chase was on. I sprinted after her. Trying to keep her or the brush she was moving in the beam of my flashlight. After about a 50 yard dash, I rounded a cactus and saw her standing, quartering away, looking back my way. 

Quickly, I drew my pistol and, holding the flashlight in my left hand, shot her with my right. She didn’t even flinch. So I shot again. This time, she shuddered and took a couple steps. I waited, she lowered her head, and in about 10 seconds, fell over. A few more breaths and she was done. 

That is about the furthest I’ve ever tracked a deer. Hind sight knowing we got her, I can say it was challenging and a fun ending with the chase. Yes, it was a bad thing. But, we made the best of a bad thing and followed through with our responsibility. 

The 168gr Nosler BT from my buddies rifle had entered the back of the on side ham, punched through the back of the intestines, and exited the off side just in front of the off side ham. A fatal hit. Eventually. But it would not have been a fun one. 

My .40 S&W 180gr HST rounds entered the middle of the ribs within an inch of each other at about 10 yards, breaking a rib each, passed through the center of the lungs and the aortic arch, broke a rib each on exit, and went out through the middle of the off side shoulder. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    I don't think anyone ever wants it happen, but it does happen where you are going to have to track a wounded deer. What happens after that is what matters. I am glad you were persistent and recovered that deer.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
     What Jerm said.

And in answer to the thread title question, definitely an assist..........unless you were barefoot.
    If the latter then its a kill.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
     What Jerm said.

And in answer to the thread title question, definitely an assist..........unless you were barefoot.
    Sandals?
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,282 Senior Member
    edited January 28 #5
    She was still alive. Now after the two 40s, she's meat.

The sandals seal the deal.
    Especially considering the running chase.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    She was still alive. Now after the two 40s, she's meat.

The sandals seal the deal.
    Especially considering the running chase.
    Yep, sandals and the presence of cacti qualifies.....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Way to follow up effectively and do the ethical thing.  Great placement with the pistol!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    good job
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Sounds like the 40 did well!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    orchidman said:
     What Jerm said.

Sandals?
    As long as they weren't Crocs...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Always hate it when it goes sideways but stuff does happen.....best you can do is make it right as quickly as you can...
    Thanks for doing the job right...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited January 28 #12
    Jayhawker said:
    Zee said:
    orchidman said:
     What Jerm said.

Sandals?
    As long as they weren't Crocs...
    Yeah. No. 
    My Boy wears Crocs. 
    edited January 29 #13
    The deer died by a couple of 40 cal bullets...Claim it!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited January 29 #14
    I probably shaved at least 24hrs off the inevitable. 
    Zee said:
    I probably shaved at least 24hrs of the inevitable. 
    Sounds that way...Added to science in the process, plus you had some excitement.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    edited January 29 #16
    Good job, and completely 'ethical' in my opinion.

The .45 ACP kill that I posted about here, on a feral hog, is vaguely similar to your experience, although I'm quite sure that my gallop through the brush was much less graceful, and the execution was much less efficient. Also, there was no autopsy to confirm my testimony.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    I give the kill to you and the 40. Otherwise it would have run off in the brush and died a miserable death and only be recovered by the buzzards and coyotes. I've had that happen before and I wasn't proud of it.

Three years back I shot a doe in the right ham. My then wife crawled on her belly bless her soul along with my son in law and found the doe bled out. I was walking around in the dark with my .357 with a flash light blindly because I'm color blind and looking for blood. They went in the tree mott and they said the deer had sprayed blood everywhere and it was a no brainer to find her. All the brush in that mott looked like it was spray painted red.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    edited February 1 #18
    snake284 said:
    I give the kill to you and the 40. Otherwise it would have run off in the brush and died a miserable death and only be recovered by the buzzards and coyotes. I've had that happen before and I wasn't proud of it.

Three years back I shot a doe in the right ham at about 5:45 P.M. one evening (OMG that was 5 years back, time flies when you're having a good time.) . My then wife crawled on her belly bless her soul along with my son in law and found the doe bled out. I was walking around in the dark with my .357 and a flash light blindly because I'm color blind and looking for blood. They went in the tree mott and they said the deer had sprayed blood everywhere and it was a no brainer to find her. All the brush in that mott looked like it was spray painted red.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.