Home Main Category Clubhouse

Michigan is closed...

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 16,923 Senior Member
We already had a foot of snow when it started in the wee hours. It's been snowing an inch an hour since...my plow guy has been here twice...bitter cold out and going to get worse tonight and tommorow... 

Pretty much everything is cancelled or closed.

The county road guys are concentrating on the main highways...

Every bird in the area is hitting our feeders.

That's life in the Great White North

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,039 Senior Member
    And you left Kansas why??

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Every damn time we get enough snow where I can get up there with the sleds, it gets way too damn cold. What the hell! In Flint, the snow isn't that bad, but this whole arctic blast is going to suck. We are supposed to have a high of -1 on Wednesday.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    About 6" so far today down here.  Not looking forward to the negative temps that are coming though.  Worked a 10 hour shift and came home to clean snow.  4 driveways and sidewalks.  Thankfully three are in a row right across the street from my house.  Got "yelled" at by the two that were home.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    We have a very small house with an old inefficient and loud furnace...a couple of days ago, I hit Tractor Supply for an in-door safe kerosene heater that's rated to heat 1000 square feet...
    And...it does that...the whole house is toasty...almost too toasty...  Turned the oven on to make meat loaf and ran the house temp up to near 90 degrees...had to shut the heater off...

I have used these things in the past without issue but bought a CO monitor to stay on the safe side.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Should have closed this cracker box clown convention this morning. 10" a snow crippled this whole rat hole up like a snake in a mixer. 
    And you left Kansas why??

Mike
    A hatch of grandchildren and a dislike of tornadoes on the part of the spouse...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    Tornadoes are God's means of urban renewal. Shouldn't be hatin' on 'em.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 772 Senior Member
    Our high tomorrow will be -12 and on Wednesday it’ll be -18
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    We are having unusually warm weather. Highs reaching 40°F. You guys be careful...
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

We will, thanks!  We have canceled all our appointments and don't intend to go anywhere unless we have to. The wife is knitting socks and I'm tying flies...temps are supposed to be in the high 30's by the end of the week....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Allllllmost switched back to shorts today.  Not quite there yet - works for mid day, but not AM and PM.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    We will, thanks!  We have canceled all our appointments and don't intend to go anywhere unless we have to. The wife is knitting socks and I'm tying flies...temps are supposed to be in the high 30's by the end of the week....
    MN is closed for the next 2 days too, 50-60 degree swing from tuesday -wednesday to saturday-sunday, should be interesting.

Only time school got closed in Hibbing was when the school buses could not get through the drifts, I walked 3-4 blocks to school in -20+ a bunch of times in highschool.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I'm freezing just hearing ya'll talk about it.
    edited January 2019 #17
    Jayhawker said:
    We will, thanks!  We have canceled all our appointments and don't intend to go anywhere unless we have to.  and I'm tying flies...temps are supposed to be in the high 30's by the end of the week....
    Tying flies...............Kinky!!!!!!! Is waterboarding them on the schedule, too? :D Stay safe and inside. Those temperatures aren't fit for man nor beast. If a woolly mammoth herd comes through then shoot a young one. Should feed you until Spring!
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited January 2019 #18
    I'm freezing just hearing ya'll talk about it.
    It is actually pretty nice tonight, seems weird they bailed on school for 2 days already. My blower motor for the defroster on my Expedition crapped out on sunday, could not see a dang thing after we drove to blocks two Casey's for doughnuts and coffee before church, windows frosted up, had to go back and get the pickup. $350 and we can breath and drive at the same time again today. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Kids had school called off today and tomorrow. It will be called off on Wednesday too because the predicted high is -1 degrees.
    -Thomas Paine
    edited January 2019 #20
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jayhawker said:
    We wil

Only time school got closed in Hibbing was when the school buses could not get through the drifts, I walked 3-4 blocks to school in -20+ a bunch of times in highschool.

Our old house is at the bottom. Had to run down the lane and up to the building with the silver roof (it wasn't there then). Then the wait began. Our bus driver was so out of time, sometimes we waited for 20 minutes, sometimes she was gone before we got down the lane..... and yes. We waited many times in below 0 weather...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    edited January 2019 #21
    I had one of the weirder Michigan winter drives home just now. My office/man house/Bum Wine World Headquarters is about a mile away from home on a dead end street that never gets plowed. The snow wound up being a few inches deeper than the underside of my car.

In my little Chevy Sonic, I backed out of the driveway, got stuck, got moving ahead for a bit and the car stopped. I backed up, pulled ahead, did it again a couple more times and made it. After that, I didn't stop until I got to the house. I plowed the street!  
    -Thomas Paine
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    We didn't have the blizzard that they were calling for but is -9 now and by 09:00 calling for -28.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I had one of the weirder Michigan winter drives home just now. My office/man house/Bum Wine World Headquarters is about a mile away from home on a dead end street that never gets plowed. The snow wound up being a few inches deeper than the underside of my car.

In my little Chevy Sonic, I backed out of the driveway, got stuck, got moving ahead for a bit and the car stopped. I backed up, pulled ahead, did it again a couple more times and made it. After that, I didn't stop until I got to the house. I plowed the street!  
    If it were not for an oil leak right onto the exhaust pipe imidiately after the primary catalytic converter, I would be driving my Sonic.  On more than a few times I have plowed the street with the car.  Running a lowered car with snow tires is a little interesting.  This year its on stock suspension with oversized snow tires, but I cant drive a car that is leaking oil and then burning it off.  I would rather drive the car than my truck.
    Got out this morning...broke trail to the out buildings and headed to the gas station for more kerosene...20 mile round trip at 35 mph...

Got a compliment bfrom the gal at the hardware store for being the second customer today that was properly dressed for the weather...it seems that pajamas and sneakers are considered appropriate dress for venturing out in -0 windchills...

Following distance while driving on snow and ice covered roads is apparently a learned thing..
    Two cars in front of me are going up the road bumper to bumper...lead car hits the brakes (no signal) to turn into Dollar General..following car slams into lead car pretty much totals both cars. There's a County Deputy behind me so there was no need to call 911.

In the end... we're ready for tomorrow's cold snap...
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I drove on the sidewalk yesterday. I won't elaborate on-line, but I felt better afterward.😏
    I take back what I said, they were right to close school, nasty out.

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    Looks like today will have a high of -17 and tonight's low of -40 tomorrow high -16 low -25 then Thursday high 1 and low -3

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Same in northern South Dakota.  We haven't had school this week yet.  We will start again on Thursday.  Wind is absolutely howling!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    We have a very small house with an old inefficient and loud furnace...a couple of days ago, I hit Tractor Supply for an in-door safe kerosene heater that's rated to heat 1000 square feet...
    And...it does that...the whole house is toasty...almost too toasty...  Turned the oven on to make meat loaf and ran the house temp up to near 90 degrees...had to shut the heater off...

I have used these things in the past without issue but bought a CO monitor to stay on the safe side.
    It was an indoor kerosene heater and a woodburning furnace that convinced my mom to move the family back to Texas when I was young.  It was a cold as hell winter and we had burned through all the seasoned wood, and were burning the green stuff as fast as we could cut down the trees.  The green wood creosote'd up the chimney where we could not run the furnace that night.  We used an 'indoor safe' kerosene heater in one of the smaller rooms with all of us in sleeping bags around dirt that night.  Well, the heater malfunctioned and nearly killed us all.  It was cold as hell as we had the windows open at 2:AM letting fresh air in.

It was that night that the decision was made to get back to where the air isn't trying to kill you for half the year.

Y'all enjoy the snow.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    In case you don't look at the meme thread. And it's got to do with warm moist air meeting cold air, too.

― Douglas Adams