Home Main Category Clubhouse

Michigan is closed...

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #32
    Well, my furnace is barely keeping up, this is interesting weather, only have one vehicle down though, always the time to find out your battery is on its last leg, F150 sounded like I poked a wolverine with a cattle prod for about 5-10 seconds when the wife started it, I was very happy to see the garage door opened. Chirpy snow!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Back in the day I used to take my battery inside at night.

I always roll slow at first in hard cold. All the oil and grease is stiff after sitting.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    In this kind of weather, I always run my truck for an hour or so a couple of times a day...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    In this kind of weather, I always run my truck for an hour or so a couple of times a day...
    Went out and started all three... the two newer ones probably didn't need to be started, but the boy's Corsica definitely needed it. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    How did this thought process go?

Snow/ice...... check
    40+ mph wind.....check
    Below zero temp.....check

OK! Lets hook up the camper and go 70mph on the freeway

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    edited January 2019 #37
    Was going fishing this morning .......but...probably gonna have to put it off...til May or so

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Was going fishing this morning .......but...probably gonna have to put it off...til May or so

Just cut a hole in the ice...  :D
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    I have a book here titled Mysteries and Histories Shipwrecks of the Great Lakes. It cites recorded temps of -30°F for the winter of 1898/99. Relatively warm compared to the present.

At one time I had another book that told of the old time wooden hulled sailers fighting ice and winter lake storms to deliver coal to a midwest experiencing a shortage in winter temps severe enough to account for people literally freezing to death. I can't find that book so I have no reference to the year or recorded temps.
    edited January 2019 #40
    I have a book here titled Mysteries and Histories Shipwrecks of the Great Lakes. It cites recorded temps of -30°F for the winter of 1898/99. Relatively warm compared to the present.

At one time I had another book that told of the old time wooden hulled sailers fighting ice and winter lake storms to deliver coal to a midwest experiencing a shortage in winter temps severe enough to account for people literally freezing to death. I can't find that book so I have no reference to the year or recorded temps.
    My wife's great grandfather was one of those sailors..he was also a shipwright...
    Winter storms were dangerous for those ships. Once the ice got out of hand on board, it was too late.

I read they were getting enough extra pay for the coal during the shortage to lure many to risk the hazards.
    We got word earlier that there is a 17 mile long ice jam on the Muskegon River downstream of Newaygo, MI...when this cold snap breaks in the next couple of days and the temps hit 40+ and rain there is going to be a mess...
    edited January 2019 #43
    Jayhawker said:
    Got my Expedition running finally, took it to a shop to confirm the battery was toast, left it there thinking there are no new batteries in 100 miles in this weather, and it is probably not going to start tomorrow anyway, calls me back 15 min later and they scored me a battery! $150! Drive back to the shop and my Murano lost a bead on a tire, pretty common when it gets cold, shop guy stayed and got my tire checked and aired back up and put back on, living in a small town has its perks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Nice. I just got an emergency alert on my cell saying Consumers Power (gas supplier to a huge part of the state) is urging everyone to turn their thermostats down to 65 degrees through Friday. I guess there was a fire at one of their natural gas plants that took it offline. I turned the Man House down from 60 to 50. My house is set at 68. I am turning that down now.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I definitely want our next (and hopefully last) house to have a secondary heat source other than gas or electric.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
     I turned the Man House down from 60 to 50.
    I got one of those smart thermostats there. It is kind of nice since I can control the heat with my laptop or phone from anywhere.
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,650 Senior Member
    How about an RTG? Heat and electric in one compact package!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    You guys almost make me feel guilty.
    It has gotten down in the 50s at night and only high 60s this last few days. Right now its 11:00pm and 60.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    You guys almost make me feel guilty.
    It has gotten down in the 50s at night and only high 60s this last few days. Right now its 11:00pm and 60.
    I just checked NOAA for our house in FL. It was 31 last night but all 60's for daytime temps......

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    If Ft Lauderdale and Miami hit 31 it becomes an emergency down here. Crops fail and homeless people die.
    You folks up north stay warm and safe.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,650 Senior Member
    It was 49 in the sun with a fairly stiff cross breeze outside the range today in Titusville.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    We have no gas at our house, only electric, but thank God we have a wood burner that’s rated for coal also. It’s saved our asses more than once. Learning to keep a fire burning and maintaining itself for extended periods is a valuable skill.
    We have no gas at our house, only electric, but thank God we have a wood burner that’s rated for coal also. It’s saved our asses more than once. Learning to keep a fire burning and maintaining itself for extended periods is a valuable skill.
    House I grew up in had a coal furnace. Banked many a fire..........
    I guess if push came to shove, I got portable kerosene and propane heaters I use for work. I would rather not go there though. BTU to BTU, natural gas is dirt cheap compared to all the other alternatives around here (with the exception of cutting your own wood).
    -Thomas Paine
    ...and my sump pump discharge froze up outside. The Fernco joint just separated in the basement and water was shooting straight up like a geyser.
    -Thomas Paine
    Used to be able to get coal for $50-$70 a ton right out of the pit at several places nearby...... IDK if you can even do that today
    ...and my sump pump discharge froze up outside. The Fernco joint just separated in the basement and water was shooting straight up like a geyser.
    Does it come out at the curb? Still a pain but doable.
    jbp-ohio said:
    Does it come out at the curb? Still a pain but doable.
    To the back yard. It isn't that big of a deal here. My sump pump only kicks on every couple of weeks anyway. Over the 7 years I took to build the house, I only had to pump the basement once and that was because there was 1/2" of water that only covered about 1/3 of the basement. We got 40 degrees and rain Saturday so we will be fine as long as I remember to plug it back in.
    -Thomas Paine
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
      living in a small town has its perks.
    snowed in

• das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

parked it in the wrong place;

das68 said:
    Jayhawker said:

parked it in the wrong place;

Looks beautiful.